What do we need to know before iOS 8/Android L come out?

0 favourites
  • Alright, this topic has seemed to turn into a battle about whether or not iOS 8 and Android L should be our main export OS versions for mobile. That's not what the topics mean't to be.

What new things in construct 2 will we see following these operating systems release?

How long until scirra makes it's own exporter so we don't need to PAY for phonegap?

• Alright, this topic has seemed to turn into a battle about whether or not iOS 8 and Android L should be our main export OS versions for mobile. That's not what the topics mean't to be.

What new things in construct 2 will we see following these operating systems release?

How long until scirra makes it's own exporter so we don't need to PAY for phonegap?

iOS 8 I think brings webGL to safari and a jit compilation of JS, which is a great news, making the html5 export really worth it on mobile devices.

Also scirra already has an export working on mobile devices, the html5 one.

And ejecta may not be great, but it is still useable as far as I know, and for "free" (you still need to pay to be able to publish anything to the app store).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

You don't?

You have to pay for Build. which is PhoneGap's convenience tool - it's $10 a month, or free if you've got Adobe CC (IIRC?)

• you don't need to pay for phonegap. just download the archive and compile locally. this is what i intend to do personally and target only ios8

• I tried running my game in iOS8 Safari - WebGL was running great! I think it was managing to maintain 60 fps whenever it wasn't loading music.

Audio in general seemed pretty buggy - still needed to tap the screen to start sounds, and music seemed to either drop out/not play/not loop at times... but I didn't test extensively.

I have a feeling Phonegap will be the way forward. I'll be using CocoonJS for the initial release of my game, but I think future updates (and future games) will all be using Phonegap. I have the confidence now

Bonus: being a paying Adobe subscriber/customer, I get Phonegap unlimited for "free"

• PhoneGap Build is free for one app. You can also download the PhoneGap build tools and build everything yourself locally, but that can be pretty complicated, especially for Android.

I don't know what new things you'd expect in Construct 2 - do you have any specific suggestions? The main improvements in iOS 8 and Android L are WebGL support and improved performance in the web view, which is highly relevant when building with PhoneGap.

• PhoneGap Build is free for one app. You can also download the PhoneGap build tools and build everything yourself locally, but that can be pretty complicated, especially for Android.

I don't know what new things you'd expect in Construct 2 - do you have any specific suggestions? The main improvements in iOS 8 and Android L are WebGL support and improved performance in the web view, which is highly relevant when building with PhoneGap.

Do you happen to know does iOS Game Center etc. work already?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)