The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • TheRealDannyyy First off, thanks for all your hard work with this thread. I commented way back when it first was posted and, now that I'm about to release, it has proved invaluable.

Question: I've got a Windows 7 user with "ghost instancing". Is the current best fix to roll back to NW.JS 21.0 before "--in-process-gpu" would bug nw.js?

• TheRealDannyyy First off, thanks for all your hard work with this thread. I commented way back when it first was posted and, now that I'm about to release, it has proved invaluable.

Question: I've got a Windows 7 user with "ghost instancing". Is the current best fix to roll back to NW.JS 21.0 before "--in-process-gpu" would bug nw.js?

No problem, trying my best to keep this topic up to date.

Judging by the latest response this has been fixed in NWjs v0.27.0 (currently in beta, stable release probably in December).

NWjs v0.21.0 should be stable, I'd still create a testing branch on Steam and test it out before using it.

• > TheRealDannyyy First off, thanks for all your hard work with this thread. I commented way back when it first was posted and, now that I'm about to release, it has proved invaluable.

>

> Question: I've got a Windows 7 user with "ghost instancing". Is the current best fix to roll back to NW.JS 21.0 before "--in-process-gpu" would bug nw.js?

>

No problem, trying my best to keep this topic up to date.

Judging by the latest response this has been fixed in NWjs v0.27.0 (currently in beta, stable release probably in December).

NWjs v0.21.0 should be stable, I'd still create a testing branch on Steam and test it out before using it.

I'm hoping to release in the next week or two.

What's the best way to rollback to an old version of NW.JS? I've done it before but I always get a profile error. Familiar with this?

• >

> > TheRealDannyyy First off, thanks for all your hard work with this thread. I commented way back when it first was posted and, now that I'm about to release, it has proved invaluable.

> >

> > Question: I've got a Windows 7 user with "ghost instancing". Is the current best fix to roll back to NW.JS 21.0 before "--in-process-gpu" would bug nw.js?

> >

>

> No problem, trying my best to keep this topic up to date.

>

> Judging by the latest response this has been fixed in NWjs v0.27.0 (currently in beta, stable release probably in December).

> NWjs v0.21.0 should be stable, I'd still create a testing branch on Steam and test it out before using it.

>

I'm hoping to release in the next week or two.

What's the best way to rollback to an old version of NW.JS? I've done it before but I always get a profile error. Familiar with this?

I've never done that before but I guess backing up any local or webstorage files and then deleting all old files using a batch script would work?

(Sorry can't do it on my end so you have to test it out by yourself.)

The chromium update is scheduled for Dec 5th 2017, I'd really wait for that one instead of going through any trouble caused by rolling back. I guess for now you could try to execute a batch file to kill all processes on application shutdown (if Steam offers a feature like that) or simply execute it using the NWjs plugin when the user is closing the game.

• [quote:347qipm3]The chromium update is scheduled for Dec 5th 2017, I'd really wait for that one instead of going through any trouble caused by rolling back. I guess for now you could try to execute a batch file to kill all processes on application shutdown (if Steam offers a feature like that) or simply execute it using the NWjs plugin when the user is closing the game.

Fair point!

My only worry is I'm using Madspy's Steam4C2 plugin and I'm concerned I'll have to wait around until they support the new version of NWJS.

• [quote:8ivjdyts]The chromium update is scheduled for Dec 5th 2017, I'd really wait for that one instead of going through any trouble caused by rolling back. I guess for now you could try to execute a batch file to kill all processes on application shutdown (if Steam offers a feature like that) or simply execute it using the NWjs plugin when the user is closing the game.

Fair point!

My only worry is I'm using Madspy's Steam4C2 plugin and I'm concerned I'll have to wait around until they support the new version of NWJS.

I totally forgot about that, sadly I can't do much about that part.

Best thing would be to ask him in the forum topic about support for upcoming NWjs versions.

• Thank you TheRealDannyyy

I tested your capx with r249 and NW.js 0.26.

The result is exactly same as I've posted.

If the window isn't resizable, it gives me a way off resolution.

(Browser)651x366 (NW.js)640x360

(Browser)491x278 (NW.js)480x270

If it's resizable, the resolution is close enough.

(Browser)641x361 (NW.js)640x360

(Browser)481x271 (NW.js)480x270

Then I turned on your workaround and the result is

(Browser)638x359 (NW.js)638x358

(Browser)478x269 (NW.js)478x268

An interesting thing to me is that "browser resolution" is off from "NW.js resolution", which gives correct numbers.

I've checked with the dev kit with my test and that is giving Browser resolution and that is what actually shown on screen I believe.

For now, we can use the workarounds.

Let's hope Chromium Dev fix this the bug.

And again, thank you for all of this.

I'm more an "artist" type. No idea what github and Chrominum are to be honest.

So it was hard for me to do all this stuff and I felt nobody look into the bug even after my report.

I'm really glad I found this thread and hope those info are helpful people who encounter the same issue.

• Thank you TheRealDannyyy

I tested your capx with r249 and NW.js 0.26.

An interesting thing to me is that "browser resolution" is off from "NW.js resolution", which gives correct numbers.

I've checked with the dev kit with my test and that is giving Browser resolution and that is what actually shown on screen I believe.

For now, we can use the workarounds.

Let's hope Chromium Dev fix this the bug.

And again, thank you for all of this.

I'm more an "artist" type. No idea what github and Chrominum are to be honest.

So it was hard for me to do all this stuff and I felt nobody look into the bug even after my report.

I'm really glad I found this thread and hope those info are helpful people who encounter the same issue.

Sorry that I can't do more but sometimes you can't really workaround bugs and have to wait for the Dev's to fix it.

I'd generally recommend to use a frameless window and offer a way to move the window in the settings menu of your game (that's what I do).

The Chromium Dev's seem to do great work with not doing great work at the moment, so I doubt that we'll see a fix for this anytime soon.

Also thanks for helping me out with testing and giving me feedback, going to post a workaround if I find one.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just updated to the nw.js 27.0 and I'm getting this error on preview. I'm guessing it's because of the Steam4C2 plugin I'm using? I removed it from the project but it still happens.

EDIT: I started a new project which previewed fine with nw.js. So I'm guessing it must be some third party plugin in my project.

• Just updated to the nw.js 27.0 and I'm getting this error on preview. I'm guessing it's because of the Steam4C2 plugin I'm using? I removed it from the project but it still happens.

EDIT: I started a new project which previewed fine with nw.js. So I'm guessing it must be some third party plugin in my project.

Can reproduce, the plugin seems to be at fault. Works fine when exporting the game.

Reported here:

• >

>

> Just updated to the nw.js 27.0 and I'm getting this error on preview. I'm guessing it's because of the Steam4C2 plugin I'm using? I removed it from the project but it still happens.

>

> EDIT: I started a new project which previewed fine with nw.js. So I'm guessing it must be some third party plugin in my project.

>

Can reproduce, the plugin seems to be at fault. Works fine when exporting the game.

Reported here:

Dude you're a legend. I totally forgot to add the nw.js plugin in my empty project test. Good call on that. Reproducing it over here as well.

• Updated the Roundup with the following changes

[11.12.2017]:

• <Added> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Appearing (Constant Refresh)
    • <Added> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Appearing (In-Process)
    • <Added> How To: Open Multiple NW.js Preview Windows
    • <Unresolved> NW.js Window Size Bug (Link)
    • <Unresolved> NW.js Mouse Pointer Problem When Right-Clicking (Link)

Cheers!

• Linux NWjs Webfonts Problem & Solution:

Problem:

When using webfonts with NWjs on Linux, the fonts don't apply & everything is times new roman (or your computers default font)

Why:

This is because for some reason on Linux when extracting the font files they will be downcased (ie Fun-Font.woff -> fun-font.woff).

Solution:

To fix this, simply rename your fonts (and the names in the associated css file) to be all lowercase in the first place!

Webfont tutorial:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/237/ho ... fonts#h2a6

Notes:

I dont really know if this is a Linux or NWjs thing, but the workaround is easy enough...

• Linux NWjs Webfonts Problem & Solution:

Problem:

When using webfonts with NWjs on Linux, the fonts don't apply & everything is times new roman (or your computers default font)

Why:

This is because for some reason on Linux when extracting the font files they will be downcased (ie Fun-Font.woff -> fun-font.woff).

Solution:

To fix this, simply rename your fonts (and the names in the associated css file) to be all lowercase in the first place!

Webfont tutorial:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/237/ho ... fonts#h2a6

Notes:

I dont really know if this is a Linux or NWjs thing, but the workaround is easy enough...

Doesn't Construct 2 lowercase all filenames from external files on export by default?

I remember it doing that but if not I will add this as a workaround soon.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Good Job TheRealDannyyy;

Global.gc (); only unload the audio from memory?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)