The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

7 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • Let me explain.

The video recording issue was related to the flickering issue. It was reported to the Chromium team and fixed with Chromium 56.

The point is that there is no NW.js version based on Chromium 56 yet and that's why we still have to use --disable-direct-composition as a workaround.

I assume that the roundup states How To: Workaround Recording Issues & Canvas Flickering (NW.js v0.14.0rc1 - v0.19.0) just because in the time TheRealDannyyy wrote it, 0.19.0 was the latest version and we were all expecting new version to have Chromium 56 implemented. In other words it should be "... (NW.js v0.14.0rc1 - v0.19.2)" for today as Chromium 56 is still not there yet.

Interesting is that below it's written:

[quote:303zztnc](Fixed for all NW.js versions starting from 0.19.1, use the workaround only in NW.js versions from 0.14.0rc1 to 0.19.0!)

Latest NWjs still uses Chromium 55

Was it somehow fixes with 0.19.1 and I missed it or was it written due to expectation that the next version will have it fixed TheRealDannyyy?

• Let me explain.

The video recording issue was related to the flickering issue. It was reported to the Chromium team and fixed with Chromium 56.

The point is that there is no NW.js version based on Chromium 56 yet and that's why we still have to use --disable-direct-composition as a workaround.

EDIT: What BackendFreak said below, changed roundup back to v0.19.1 as expected.

• Alright so I asked the NWjs team for clarification via Twitter (as they reply pretty quick on tweets) and they replied:

No idea when and where was it announced... but it seems that the fix is indeed implemented in 0.19.1 (haven't tested on my end yet)

• NW.js RC1 based on chromium 56 works fine for me and the flickering issue is fixed.

https://dl.nwjs.io/live-build/01-11-201 ... f-8de33e2/

• Updated the Roundup with the following changes:

• <Added> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Issues With Letterbox Scaling
    • <Added> How To: Modify/Remove Right-Click Context Menus
    • <Changed> How To: Only Have 1 Process While Running NW.js (NW.js v0.20.0+)

The recent releases of NW.js also require you to manually disable the crash dumping process. I will add the crash dumping "deactivator" to the roundup as soon as it's out. [?]

• <Removed> How To: Enable WebGL2 (Experimental Version)

No longer required since future releases starting from Chromium V56 will have WebGL2 enabled by default. WebGL2 (Chromium V56) will most-likely be released in the stable branch by the end of January.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, see'ya!

• tecbug I didn't hear anything from you yet, is it working fine on your end?

Some feedback about it would be nice!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • TheRealDannyyy Yes! This helped me.

I only changed when Force redraw was triggered:

rather than showed in the example.

Now it looks good.

Thank you both TheRealDannyyy and BackendFreak!

• TheRealDannyyy Yes! This helped me.

Now it looks good.

Thank you both TheRealDannyyy and BackendFreak!

Cool, good to know that it works as expected.

If you are a Steam4C2 user (judging by the screenshot you are), you'll just have to do this temporally until Madspy is back on track and updates the plugin with that workaround.

• Great.

MadSpy please note that when you do as showed in the example:

overlay will flicker when it appears (shift+tab).

Because of this i made it this way:

• Great.

...overlay will flicker when it appears (shift+tab).

The flicker is because the redrawing interval is set to every 3rd frame (50ms) and on your screen it must be noticeable. Madspy will most-likely set it to every frame so it won't be noticeable anymore.

For the temporally workaround you could try to reduce the time to 2 seconds, we just used 5 seconds to make sure that even the "potatoest" of PCs will get a redraw call in.

• TheRealDannyyy I've noticed that Ashley mentions in the greenwork plugin post that the game's exe must be named nw.exe for it to work, I also notice you didn't write anything about it, my game and steam overlay seems to work fine for me with a different exe name, but I'm not sure what was the original problem that required this action, can you shade some light on the subject?

• [quote:2xhqxcgk]on Windows the engine's executable file must have the name nw.exe for addons to work

source nw.js-wiki

Needed for modules containing C/C++ addons because they use parts of the engine to sustain their execution. (greenworks/setam4c2/robotjs....)

• I see, but it also says at the top that some of these issues only apply to version 0.12 and lower, we're on version 0.19.4 already, so that might not be an issue anymore.

My point is that my game runs, steam overlay is accessible, achievements are being registered and pop is shown, so unless I'm missing something, I don't see any problem.

• [quote:2gcxd6eu]on Windows the engine's executable file must have the name nw.exe for addons to work

source nw.js-wiki

Needed for modules containing C/C++ addons because they use parts of the engine to sustain their execution. (greenworks/setam4c2/robotjs....)

quote]

I've noticed that Ashley mentions in the greenwork plugin post that the game's exe must be named nw.exe for it to work, I also notice you didn't write anything about it, my game and steam overlay seems to work fine for me with a different exe name, but I'm not sure what was the original problem that required this action, can you shade some light on the subject?

---

I see, but it also says at the top that some of these issues only apply to version 0.12 and lower, we're on version 0.19.4 already, so that might not be an issue anymore. My point is that my game runs, steam overlay is accessible, achievements are being registered and pop is shown, so unless I'm missing something, I don't see any problem.

I think that Lof is onto something here, could it really be that more recent versions don't have this requirement anymore?

So far I've always been assuming the same because of the given information from the (outdated?) documentation about the use of addons.

Either MadSpy and/or Ashley, I would like to request a statement about this.

Is it still required to use "nw.exe" as the application name or are you guys perhaps "outdated" about the latest requirements of NW.js + Addons?

References:

New Docs | Old Docs | Native Modules

• Last I wrote that it was true (quite a while ago now), but if you can rename the .exe and everything still works... I guess they fixed it!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)