Update for Kongregate Plugin?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • Hey Irbis thanks for getting me up to speed, thats really useful information to know.

Well, from your description we totally need that functionality! Any opportunity for us to tap into higher earnings with our games is a win all round! If it helps us make a viable living developing games, then its good for Scirra too because the more options there are to generate decent income, the more widely it will be used.

Id really like to be able to take advantage of those features you describe in the latest Kongregate API.

I see Ashley has already posted in this thread to say that he'd rather Kongregate create a plugin for C2. That makes sense to me, has any one actually contacted them? Ill drop them an email to see what they say.

Also, rexrainbow gave good advice. Requesting one of the developers on the forum to make an updated plugin is an alternative. Did anyone post a request in the Addons subforum?

• Point blank to everyone we paid for certain things so we should receive them period. No one paid Kongregate to use C2. We paid Tom and Ashley so they should give us support.

Do you go into McDonalds and ask where is my order from Burger King? No, because that sounds stupid.

Kongregate doesn't sell Construct 2 ,Ashley and Tom do. So Kongregate should develop a plugin that doesn't profit them but profits Ashley and Tom. Haha I couldn't stop laughing.

So now thats the new direction Construct 2 is heading in. If it doesn't work, it should be the other companies making plugins for Construct 2. LOL!! Oh sh!t I had to read this thread 3x over to make sure I was seeing correctly.

Look most of us figured it out a long time ago , the elephant in the room but we loved you so much we just let it go. I don't want to suddenly see a new Cranberry plugin that magically appears now that so many users need it. Its happened too many times in the past and we are fed up.

For the new people who just joined , us veteran developers already figured out developer "Cranberry" is really Tom and Ashley in disguise a long time ago.

• Hey Irbis thanks for getting me up to speed, thats really useful information to know.

Well, from your description we totally need that functionality! Any opportunity for us to tap into higher earnings with our games is a win all round! If it helps us make a viable living developing games, then its good for Scirra too because the more options there are to generate decent income, the more widely it will be used.

Id really like to be able to take advantage of those features you describe in the latest Kongregate API.

I see Ashley has already posted in this thread to say that he'd rather Kongregate create a plugin for C2. That makes sense to me, has any one actually contacted them? Ill drop them an email to see what they say.

Also, rexrainbow gave good advice. Requesting one of the developers on the forum to make an updated plugin is an alternative. Did anyone post a request in the Addons subforum?

One thing I've forgotten to mention.

Kongregate Kreds. It's basically like InAppPurchase from Mobiles. Spending real money on virtual goods. That's the biggest and most profitable source of any income. The catch is - in most cases its a headache to setup and maintain. But not in case of Kongregate. Because they do all the paper work, hosting and billing FOR you. The only thing YOU do - is to enable such features in your games. Its a Kongregate exclusive thing. Clicker Heroes, the flagship of Kongregate - is making around 80% of its profits from that Kreds IAPs.

Aaaand, surprise, surprise - that's something the Kongregate API/Plugins also does not have.

You can read about it here:

New API features explanation

Kreds/IAP explanation

• One thing I've forgotten to mention.

Kongregate Kreds. It's basically like InAppPurchase from Mobiles. Spending real money on virtual goods. That's the biggest and most profitable source of any income. The catch is - in most cases its a headache to setup and maintain. But not in case of Kongregate. Because they do all the paper work, hosting and billing FOR you. The only thing YOU do - is to enable such features in your games. Its a Kongregate exclusive thing. Clicker Heroes, the flagship of Kongregate - is making around 80% of its profits from that Kreds IAPs.

Aaaand, surprise, surprise - that's something the Kongregate API/Plugins also does not have.

You can read about it here:

New API features explanation

[ur=https://docs.kongregate.com/docs/concepts-virtual-goodsl]Kreds/IAP explanation

Well we need that too!

I emailed Kongreate just now begging them to have pity on us and make a plugin we can use. Ill post any responses I receive. I also linked to this thread in case someone from their end wanted to come participate.

Also, I spoke to a known plugin dev about this and he said he would be interested to make a kongregate plugin but he can't do it for at least 3 months as he is snowed under. So on the downside thats ages to wait... But on the upside, if that particular guy was to make it, it would be awesome coz everything else he makes is A1!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also, I spoke to a known plugin dev about this and he said he would be interested to make a kongregate plugin but he can't do it for at least 3 months as he is snowed under. So on the downside thats ages to wait... But on the upside, if that particular guy was to make it, it would be awesome coz everything else he makes is A1!

I am 99% sure that's either Rex or Mega

• ...So Kongregate should develop a plugin that doesn't profit them...

Well I think the argument would go something like, Kongregate would stand to profit from making a plugin for the C2 community because

they would see a steady stream of oustanding, cutting-edge revenue generating games published on their platform from C2 devs. Therefore it would be a good investment for them.

For the new people who just joined , us veteran developers already figured out developer "Cranberry" is really Tom and Ashley in disguise a long time ago.

• For the new people who just joined , us veteran developers already figured out developer "Cranberry" is really Tom and Ashley in disguise a long time ago.

Yep, there are a lot of amazing JS devs out here that save the C2 developers lives on an almost daily basis.

• > ...So Kongregate should develop a plugin that doesn't profit them...

>

Well I think the argument would go something like, Kongregate would stand to profit from making a plugin for the C2 community because

they would see a steady stream of oustanding, cutting-edge revenue generating games published on their platform from C2 devs. Therefore it would be a good investment for them.

> For the new people who just joined , us veteran developers already figured out developer "Cranberry" is really Tom and Ashley in disguise a long time ago.

>

Kongregate didn't sell us Construct 2 , Ashley and Tom did. So its not Kongregates responsibility to fix problem with C2.

That's like asking McDonalds what happen to your Burger King order, it doesn't make sense. I know you want to protect C2 but telling them it's ok to come with excuses not to solve problems is ridiculous.

• Kongregate didn't sell us Construct 2 , Ashley and Tom did. So its not Kongregates responsibility to fix problem with C2.

That's like asking McDonalds what happen to your Burger King order, it doesn't make sense. I know you want to protect C2 but telling them it's ok to come with excuses not to solve problems is ridiculous.

No I think you're missing the point. I think Ashley's idea is these other platforms can benefit from allowing C2 games easy access to their platform or service. The idea is to convince these other platforms that there is a large C2 user base making great games, which are a perfect fit for their platforms / service, and that they can benefit / profit / generate income etc on the back of the games made in C2.

An example is Appodeal. Go to this link: http://appodeal.com/sdk and look under 'Frameworks'.

They have plugins that are platform specific for Unity, Unreal 4, GameMaker and C2. They have developed those plugins themselves to allow people using those Frameworks to get easy access to their ad service. The benefit to them is the more games using their ad service, the more income they generate. So its worth their while to invest time making plugins for us.

The same argument is valid for Kongregate. By making a plugin specifically for Construct 2 users that allowed C2 games to utilise all the features of the latest Kong API, they increase their revenue... Every C2 game on Kongregate, generating ad revenue is putting money into their own coffers.

This line of thinking doesnt really work when applied to the C2 official IAP tho...

• >

> Kongregate didn't sell us Construct 2 , Ashley and Tom did. So its not Kongregates responsibility to fix problem with C2.

> That's like asking McDonalds what happen to your Burger King order, it doesn't make sense. I know you want to protect C2 but telling them it's ok to come with excuses not to solve problems is ridiculous.

>

No I think you're missing the point. I think Ashley's idea is these other platforms can benefit from allowing C2 games easy access to their platform or service. The idea is to convince these other platforms that there is a large C2 user base making great games, which are a perfect fit for their platforms / service, and that they can benefit / profit / generate income etc on the back of the games made in C2.

An example is Appodeal. Go to this link: http://appodeal.com/sdk and look under 'Frameworks'.

They have plugins that are platform specific for Unity, Unreal 4, GameMaker and C2. They have developed those plugins themselves to allow people using those Frameworks to get easy access to their ad service. The benefit to them is the more games using their ad service, the more income they generate. So its worth their while to invest time making plugins for us.

The same argument is valid for Kongregate. By making a plugin specifically for Construct 2 users that allowed C2 games to utilise all the features of the latest Kong API, they increase their revenue... Every C2 game on Kongregate, generating ad revenue is putting money into their own coffers.

This line of thinking doesnt really work when applied to the C2 official IAP tho...

Ok you and Newts point is that Construct 2 right to wait for others to make plugins ok I got it.

My point and everyone else is that we brought Construct 2 because they said they will continue to support and update plugins. So our morals are different thats the issue. See we believe if you pay for something, you get what you paid for. So we agree to disagree.

• In my opinion a decision is to be made by scirra: support it or deprecating it, so we would know at least what waters we are into.

the idea of kongregate making a plugin is not that bad honestly, but it is quite unrealistic unless we truly give them a valid reason, and even then it represents more work for them, but it would be the ideal solution.

scirra maintaining the plugin will mean it will work for a time then break again, it should be that way since they advertise it as a platform on the front page ("Easily reach the web by publishing to your own website, Chrome Web Store, Facebook, Kongregate, NewGrounds, Firefox Marketplace or use our Scirra Arcade to share your creations.") so they must guarantee it, it would be the normalsolution if the ideal one doesn't happen

the third solution is a plugin opened like the one cocoonJS got, could work, could not work.

then the solution of waiting for someone to do its own personnal plugin, not a great idea long term IMO

(there is also the solution of implementing the API without a plugin but unsure how doable it would be, and it would imply coding so a big no for most people).

so for me as long as it is not deprecated, it is supported and so must be up to date, that is my reasoning, and is what the front page implies.

• In my opinion a decision is to be made by scirra: support it or deprecating it, so we would know at least what waters we are into.

(...)

so for me as long as it is not deprecated, it is supported and so must be up to date, that is my reasoning, and is what the front page implies.

Well, this. At this point, all I ask for is clarification. A "black or white" signal. We're leaving or staying?

I need this, to know the status. Because I'm working on something that might benefit from Kong much more than desktops. But it makes sense only IF all of the current Kong API features are operational. Because if not - then I have to setup and weave the game for a different platform. And its not so simple as connecting the cables to a different jacks. You can't just take a browser game and export it to Desktops "as-is".

I mean, technically you can, but you either have to be an imbecile or Electronic Arts lol.

And I'm neither.

• I think the developers were clear about that they want this plugin updated. Ashley , what's your take on this? Can we expect it?

• I think the developers were clear about that they want this plugin updated. Ashley , what's your take on this? Can we expect it?

He's already stated his position. From the first page:

I would much prefer for Kongregate to develop and publish their own C2 plugin, since there are hundreds of third-party services out there, it's a constant burden trying to maintain them, and it's not our API/service (they obviously know their own platform better). Our plugin was developed a few years ago when we were just trying to get off the ground and offer some extra options to developers. I'd encourage you to go to Kongregate about further support.

I emailed Kongregate this evening asking them if they would consider making a plugin for the C2 community. Will post any reply they send.

• He's already stated his position. ...

Oh, I don't know how I overlooked that. Thank you.

I'm really interested what answer you'll get from Kongregate.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)