Update for Kongregate Plugin?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • > So after some time and testing... A friend of my who is making HTML5 games and posting them on Kong - is making 3 times more money. With the new API and ads. Meanwhile - we're stuck with 3-4 years old API in C2 and make 1/3 of the possible profits :> >

IMHO the official plugins should be regularly updated with the newest APIs. Since, I also plan on making some games for Kongregate, I +1 this.

Aphrodite that's a good point, and I think Ashley and crew need to make a decision, and then update their Construct 2 information page: https://www.scirra.com/construct2

It specifies Kongregate as a viable publishing outlet for Construct 2, but that is only true by definition, not by value. Deprecate or bust.

Same opinion here, if an official plugin is done for a service like kongregate it should either be maintained or deprecated after a while.

It is worth to mention that without proper, official Kongregate API support - the HTML5 export becomes void.

Newgrounds API (2nd biggest flash portal) has outdated alpha plugin made by 3rd party user who vanished from forums.

Gamejolt API - also 3rd party and very dated.

Without this - C2 is left with mobiles as the only and last valid platform (Desktop export is done via 3rd party wrapper and it doesn't have fully functional Steam API).

• I have a plain html5 export running on Kongregate right now.

Rex just made some plugs for newgrounds.

plugin-new-grounds-api-v3_t179642

The Gamejolt API v2 is still in the works, but yellowafterlife updated his plug in 2014 to handle most if not all of the api, including server storage.

I do believe he checks in occasionally, and has a fairly permanent web presence.

http://yal.cc/gamejolt-api-for-construct-2/

I would interject the option still remains that you can make a plug, or contract someone else to make a plug.

Surely the profits from your videos would pay for it.

Also let me say there are probably dozens of game portals that accept html5 games, and several of those also have C2 plugs.

Many of those also have more traffic, globally than Kongregate, and Newgrounds.

• I have a plain html5 export running on Kongregate right now.

Also let me say there are probably dozens of game portals that accept html5 games, and several of those also have C2 plugs.

Many of those also have more traffic, globally than Kongregate, and Newgrounds.

It feels kind of a awkward that I have to explain this but oh well.

Game running on Kongregate =/= Kongregate API support. Believe it or not - but some of us make games for a living aka profit. And without proper Kong API that profit is handicapped, IF we would like to make money from there.

About those "dozens of game portals"... care to name at least 10? would you kindly...?

Should be easy if there is so many of them.

Regardless - this is beside the point Newt. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

It got old years ago, and now its only cringeworthy.

But kudos for Gamejolt. I didn't knew it got updated. Last time I've checked it didn't (6 months ago).

[quote:t611fgzy]I would interject the option still remains that you can make a plug, or contract someone else to make a plug.

Surely the profits from your videos would pay for it.

Thx Capitan Obvious. But why stop there, at plugins? Maybe lets make our own engine /s

And Video's Ad's cannot pay for anything because C2 doesn't have up to date Kong API

• Front page:

"Construct 2 is a powerful ground breaking HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games. It allows anyone to build games — no coding required!"

I propose adding a line "with no official support to any of current HTML5 game platforms on the market" then it's a win-win scenario for everyone.

ps. looks like Xbox and other stuff with $ init have more value than the core feature of the software that was made for. Wonder when people realize that hype for xb1 exporter Is just like a hype for a multiplayer plugin was two years ago.

• It feels kind of a awkward that I have to explain this but oh well.

Game running on Kongregate =/= Kongregate API support. Believe it or not - but some of us make games for a living aka profit. And without proper Kong API that profit is handicapped, IF we would like to make money from there.

About those "dozens of game portals"... care to name at least 10? would you kindly...?

Should be easy if there is so many of them..

Google html5 games?

Lazy much?

This guy will do it for you, for a fee:

http://truevalhalla.com/blog/list-of-ht ... s-sponsors

Also the Kong api gets you 10% extra.

For a total of 35% of the ad revenue

Yippee.

But wait!

You can get an extra 15% for a total of 50%.

If your game is exclusive or sponsored !

• Ashley Can you spare the time during the development of C3 to update the official plugins for C2?

• newt Kongreagate is useful for pitching short and small games. I'm not pushing my work to some random publisher, nor should I be expected to. Kongregate is incredibly easy to use and upload to and modify, as well as get payouts. I'm also not paying some third party for a plugin that is supposedly provided by Scirra.

So either Ashley needs to deprecate the damn plugin and discontinue support for it, or he needs to update it to the modern era.

One of the two need to be done before anyone considers paying out of pocket for other solutions. I already paid a LOT for this engine, when there are plenty of free ones (Unreal and Unity right off the bat, and don't anyone dare pretend like they can hit the royalties minimum without going at it full time for at least a year) and hell, even Game Maker's been on sale for down to a dollar (Humble Bundle). Practically free right there.

I would expect to have to purchase more third party export solutions if it weren't for the fact that Construct 2's base price is $130 (albeit currently on sale for $90).

• You're applying pressure to the wrong side of the equation.

Scirra gets nothing in return, and has C3 to think about(which includes the sdk for it btw), but the portals are the ones that actually have anything to gain.

Contact them, tell them that it benefits them, and remind them that flash is dead.

Ask them what will replace the many thousands of flash games that no longer work.

• newt Kongreagate is useful for pitching short and small games. I'm not pushing my work to some random publisher, nor should I be expected to. Kongregate is incredibly easy to use and upload to and modify, as well as get payouts. I'm also not paying some third party for a plugin that is supposedly provided by Scirra.

So either Ashley needs to deprecate the damn plugin and discontinue support for it, or he needs to update it to the modern era.

One of the two need to be done before anyone considers paying out of pocket for other solutions. I already paid a LOT for this engine, when there are plenty of free ones (Unreal and Unity right off the bat, and don't anyone dare pretend like they can hit the royalties minimum without going at it full time for at least a year) and hell, even Game Maker's been on sale for down to a dollar (Humble Bundle). Practically free right there.

I would expect to have to purchase more third party export solutions if it weren't for the fact that Construct 2's base price is $130 (albeit currently on sale for $90).

+1. And perfectly articulated.

• Scirra gets nothing in return...

I think they do get something for having their official plugins updated: a satisfied user base who can recommend C2 to even more users from their heart. I have no idea how long would an update take, how much work it involves. But if it can fit into their time, I'd be glad to see it happen.

• [quote:abg7wc7t]Scirra gets nothing in return,

Yeah because money grow on trees, right...?

-happy/satisfied user base

-they already got money upon us making the purchase of the engine

-good engine = more users = more money

-if a games made with C2 makes enough money = we are obligated to buy or upgrade to Business License, ergo - it is in their damn interest to enable us to make more money. E.g via updated Kong API

-faith in product, devs and company. Sooner or later - C3 will get finished. But having a product doesn't matter if no one buys it. And people are simple, really. If they see a product X v2.0 not handled correctly - they will think twice before spending money on Product X v3.0. Because they will be afraid (and very correctly) that the history might repeat.

And the need, for this to be explained, is baffling.

• I expect "Make Kong Great Again!" posters at some point.

• I would love for Kongregate to produce one of their own. I really would. What I'm primarily frustrated by is that I already paid one side of this equation and that's where I would expect more development from.

This is what I would need at a minimum to even be interested in something like Construct 3. Otherwise Scirra's gonna have a helluva time competing against Unity and Epic.

• So after some time and testing... A friend of my who is making HTML5 games and posting them on Kong - is making 3 times more money. With the new API and ads. Meanwhile - we're stuck with 3-4 years old API in C2 and make 1/3 of the possible profits :>

Irbis I havent published on Kongregate so I haven't researched how ad revenue works on that platform yet.. just wondering if you can explain this comment above? How come a newer API allows users to make more money from ads? Is it because more options are available for different types of ads or something?

If thats true, seems a simple thing that should be updated in C2 to allow C2 devs to maximise possible income

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> So after some time and testing... A friend of my who is making HTML5 games and posting them on Kong - is making 3 times more money. With the new API and ads. Meanwhile - we're stuck with 3-4 years old API in C2 and make 1/3 of the possible profits :> >

Irbis I havent published on Kongregate so I haven't researched how ad revenue works on that platform yet.. just wondering if you can explain this comment above? How come a newer API allows users to make more money from ads? Is it because more options are available for different types of ads or something?

If thats true, seems a simple thing that should be updated in C2 to allow C2 devs to maximise possible income

Sure mate. It goes like this:

When you publish a game on Kongregate - you earn a share of the Ad revenue, generated on your game's page. In most cases, those Ad's are rather low paying. About 1$ per 1000 gameplays. Kind a like on YouTube but better and more fluid. In case of earnings - Kongregate generates the biggest revenue per 1000 gameplays. 2nd biggest - Newgrounds, generates around $ 0,5-0,8 per 1000 gameplays, Gamejolt only $ 0,1-0,2 per 1000 gameplays. I know this first hand - because I have games on all of those portals.

But back to Kongregate. If you include their API (stats, variables) you earn even more. And just recently - Kongeragte updated their API with Interstitial and video ads that you can display ingame "on demand". If you are familiar with Mobiles games - its kind a like "banner ads" vs "Interstitial ads". The 2nd pays much better. Plus till now - one user would see only one advertisement upon playing your game. Today, with the new API - you can shower as many of those on the user. Even better - you can reward the user for watching the ads.

Bottomline: till now, making money on flash portals was like making money on YouTube. Annoying at best and set in stone. But now Kongregate became like mobile games. Where you can make as much money as you want, if you know what you're doing. Ads upon start, ads+rewards, IAPs, extra Ads in game. Developers gained a huge arc of control and space for creativity.

Except if you are Construct 2 users, that is.

Because we have 4-5 years old Kongregate plugin, that is void of all those cool new features.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)