[Tutorial] A real dynamic light system

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • The tutorial is online : https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9401/enlighten-your-games-with-a-dynamic-lighting/page-1

Please signal me any mistakes. The demo capX is available on the last page. Have a good reading !

EDIT : The screenshots issue is fixed. I'm currently working on a french version.

• The tutorial is online : https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9401/enlighten-your-games-with-a-dynamic-lighting/page-1

Please signal me any mistakes. The demo capX is available on the last page. Have a good reading !

EDIT : The screenshots issue is fixed. I'm currently working on a french version.

I found 2 errors in your tutorial:

• You misspelled "future" as "futur" in the Sprite DLight section.
    • You wrote "normal map are required" instead of "normal maps are required" or "a normal map is required" in the Normal Maps and Construct 2 section.

Great tutorial, you managed to show me some new tools I've not heard of previously.

• glerikud Thanks, I'm gonna fix this as soon as I can !

adcornaglia I'm glad to read that !

EDIT : The french version is online too

• I'll write a new page to describe the process to edit one of the effects and add a new light source in it (so you can add as many sources as you want). Gonna do that when I'll have the time. A lot of mistakes are gone too, thanks to various people.

• LeuNoeleeste Can you update the links in your tutorial for the effects? The second last doesn't have a download link (or maybe I just missed), and the last effect's link gives a 404 error. Thank you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • glerikud Oh damn, yeah I'll fix that right now, thanks for warning me.

The BumpMapping Effect doesn't have any link because it's directly provided by Construct 2. You have nothing to add.

• glerikud Oh damn, yeah I'll fix that right now, thanks for warning me.

The BumpMapping Effect doesn't have any link because it's directly provided by Construct 2. You have nothing to add.

Thank you! It was my mistake on the BumpMapping Effect then.

• Thanks for the tutorial. It does show that C2 still does have limitations - I would like to see any number of lights in a game level, which does not seem to be possible at the moment.

I have been looking into Godot as a potential development option for my next game, and their isometric dynamically lighted 2d level demo is quite impressive. I hope C3 will allow us to work with both isometric and dynamic lighted games.

• [quote:1vx5q3wc]Thanks for the tutorial. It does show that C2 still does have limitations - I would like to see any number of lights in a game level, which does not seem to be possible at the moment.

You welcome, mate. I like to see C2 as the best 2D tool game engine/tool available for now, if we don't consider 3D games made with Unity in 2D style. The said tool is great in vanilla, and his flaws are often compensated by the community. Maybe C3 will provide a way to deal with dynamic lighthing easily, for now, you can work with it on Construct 2 by using one of the various effects described in the tutorial anyway. Once my finals are over, I'll add a new page to explain how to custom the Matriax's effect so you can add as many light sources as you want, using Javascript. This is why the community is so important, it can replace limitations by possibilities.

Yes, it's somewhat tricky and certainly not as easy as something made by Scirra themselves, but at least, it's right there and it works

• Great tutorial! Thanks!!!

• any performance impact?

• sivricmarijan You're welcome, I'm glad if it helps !

NanoCake I didn't note any performance impact. I use it in my own platformer, and It's quite light. Calculations to generate your shadows are far to be heavy (as explained in the tutorial. It's nothing but depth simulation after all, your sprites are still flat as hell, no matter the resolution). Any problem at this point would be from your own design and not from the feature itself I think. For instance, if you set a lot of light sources and use a lot of normal maps for some reason (knowing that you normally don't need more than one or two normal maps and don't use more than 3 or 4 light sources for the entire scenery/level...) you will have some problems. But in regular case, which means one single normal map to cover your whole level and some light sources (or maybe even one single light source like a sun or something), I really doubt anything could go wrong.

• informative Tutorial

• morton Hansel Yeah, that's a Tutorial, that's the concept !

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)