To buy or not to buy, that's the question...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • [quote:3u5gvx77]2: the engine is written in java

Can we please NOT mix up Java and Javascript?

To the original poster:

Buy.

+1

Also, If I remember correctly, the engine was written in C++ and only exports the code as JS (or it was just the editor that was wrtitten in C++?)

But I hear the node system of Unity is pretty easy too, especially with playmaker

As far as I know Unity doesn't use the node system for programming, you can only do that with 3rd party plugins. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• >

> Unity is pretty easy too, especially with playmaker

>

As far as I know Unity doesn't use the node system for programming, you can only do that with 3rd party plugins

Well that's exactly what PlayMaker, mentioned above, does ; visual scripting

• "The dilemma being that I have a very artistic brain and no matter how much you explain coding and scripting to me, I will never get it, so I decided to use a simple ready editor."

Black Rabbit;

If you want to write a real game in C2, you will need to understand scripting and coding. Even though it uses event sheets you will still end up using functions, static variables with local scope etc. So C2 isn't going to solve your basic dilemma--which is you say you can't code.

I suggest you see what you can do with RPG maker ACE--you should be able to get some kind of game out of that since it is mostly just a database.

yours

Winkr7

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • "The dilemma being that I have a very artistic brain and no matter how much you explain coding and scripting to me, I will never get it, so I decided to use a simple ready editor."

Black Rabbit;

If you want to write a real game in C2, you will need to understand scripting and coding. Even though it uses event sheets you will still end up using functions, static variables with local scope etc. So C2 isn't going to solve your basic dilemma--which is you say you can't code.

I suggest you see what you can do with RPG maker ACE--you should be able to get some kind of game out of that since it is mostly just a database.

yours

Winkr7

I 100% agree with this post.

However, if you're anything like me (I too couldn't comprehend programming 2-3 years ago), you will pick up on the logic and you'll begin to understand programming. You may be able to create a small game without programming knowledge, but as I found out the hard way, even if you manage to string together some events, it will not perform well unless you've optimized and used proper techniques for optimizing. Just keep that in mind.

To the Original Poster: Construct 2, hands down, has the best interface and method of programming a small 2D style game. Having tried Stencyl, Game Maker, and CTF 2.5, I can safely say that C2 is the most intuitive. However, there is a caveat. As you mentioned, it exports to HTML5 only, and while some others have already mentioned that you can use what we call "Wrappers" to make that export seem like a downloadable game or app on the phone, you'll want to keep in mind that these things are created by third party companies and are handled by the as well. If you have any issues with these third parties (And my understanding is that there are a LOT of issues), you're at their mercy.

For this reason, I can't really recommend C2 for what you described.

It really is a shame because to me, native exporters are all C2 is really missing to completely dominate their competition. HTML5 feels like a very limited export right now, which is ironic since it's supposed to be so flexible. After I finish my current game, I'll be seeking an alternate game engine to suit my export needs.

• I think much of what Megabeard said is true. My background is in software, but it has been a long time since I have actually coded. I think C2 is an incredible tool for building games and the interface is great. Like the original poster, I started playing with the free version and soon reached its capacity. I took a quick look and saw that you could export for iOS and Android so I bought the personal license. I did not read carefully enough and I learned much later the limitations or the reality of building for mobile. For instance, I had no idea the Facebook plugin does not work with mobile. I had it in my game for quite awhile while testing and it worked great n my laptop. haha Just last week I switched to using a facebook and Unity Ads plugin from 3 days into it he announced he is no longer supporting the plugins so now my search continues.

Like Megabeard said, if C2 had native exporters, I think it could really dominate the indie market and grow it like never before.

I want to add that I hope this post does not seem negative in any way as I think C2 is an incredible tool. I just feel if you are thinking mobile, do your homework before jumping in.

• I think it is worth the purchase even if you don't make a cent off it. I personally have been using construct 2 for around 2 Years now and have deployed a few games to iOS and Google Play. Very rewarding and you will always learn something new.

IF you ever wanna decide to make large scale projects again, Construct 2 is perfect for prototyping as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)