Time to move forward?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a code so you can see the same skin on all screens (peers). Each peer gets a skin, in addition to 4 directions t
  • I have some mixed feelings about C2. At first, I'm very happy I found it, it's incredible and everything.

One thing I'm somehow frustrated is, however, that I can't export my game to iOS without the status bar. On the website, it says it can be exported to iOS. With this, I expect to export without problems like this. It's like you go into a bike shop, buy a bike the seller says you can ride it everywhere, but then soon you realise you cannot ride it on some roads (let's say you cannot ride it on the street to your home, but you can ride it on the street to the shop, and no one knows why; they both look similar).

Anyway, I'm happy about C2, it helped me make many things and learn a lot.

• (I'm pretty sure, he cannot reproduce it. Again. Because in his own paradise all works well).

That's technology and Murphy's law. It doesn't work when you need it; it works when you want to show it doesn't.

• Wow! Godot seems like a dream editor. Have you seen how you can easily add sprites and curve it XD Godot makes you feel you are a real developer but I think it's too late to learn something new if you can just improve yourself in a specific program. You may not know, Construct 3 might be something like this, but not native...

• So sad that all of you are starting to pack up while we are just beginning to master the event editor. Well keep us updated XD

• GODOT engine looks great but lacks any kind of mobile monetization options.

That's a shame

Monetizing game (In-app or Ads) and Google Services

• Maybe this thread can be summarized to point:

Construct 2 is a HTML5 engine and that's all it is. You can't export anything else.

HTML5 can be wrapped so, that it's possible to run in devices like stand alone apps, but it's still a browser.

Construct does that very well, but it shouldn't pretend to be anything else.

If you seriously want something else, maybe it's time to move forward

• Nope.

C2 is an event based 2d game engine that only has one exporter thus far. That being Html5.

It also has a bunch of wrappers.

If you can't figure out how to make that work for you then , yeah, hit the road Jack.

• newt

That's quibbling. At the moment it's all HTML5 underneath. Ashley has told that C3 isn't going to make a difference in that field. So HTML5 it is, and HTML5 it's going to be.

• I think all this slagging off of C2 and in the process promoting a competing product on Scirra's own homepage is pretty tasteless frankly.

• ErekT

You are absolutely right. I just share the same frustration as so many other C2 dev...

• Nope quibbling is arguing a point against software on its forum.

Toodles.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Maybe this thread can be summarized to point:

Construct 2 is a HTML5 engine and that's all it is. You can't export anything else.

HTML5 can be wrapped so, that it's possible to run in devices like stand alone apps, but it's still a browser.

Construct does that very well, but it shouldn't pretend to be anything else.

If you seriously want something else, maybe it's time to move forward

Construct 2 is a HTML5 engine which can export only to HTML5 and all the rest is wrapping. That is a fact, but is it an issue in itself? No. It gives possibilities.

Construct 2 does not to pretend to be anything else. It is stated that it is an HTML5 event based engine with possibilities to export your project built in C2 to various platforms. And that is true as well. It is not stated that it is flawless. Nothing is flawless. But I wouldn't say that C2 pretend to be something that it isn't. And comparing software to the "bike" from the shop is simply stupid.

It gives a lot of frustration sometimes, especially when the third parties fail, but after all:

Facts:

1. C2 is the best HTML5 engine there is.

2. C2 is the easiest game engine there is.

3. C2 is used by many companies. Even if not for end product then for prototyping, cause there is no engine you can build an app faster then in C2.

4. I read several times people said "I tried many engines and I always back to C2". It's not for no reason.

5. It is possible to convert C2 app into an app for Android, iOS, Desktop. That is a fact and there are tons of proofs on Google Play, App Store and Steam.

6. Many people earned a lot on apps made with C2 - just check Steam etc.

7. More than 90% of frustrations is related to the performance of mobile apps. But this won't be an issue in the near future - you know that.

I understand the frustration. I am mad as well pretty often. But how can you say that they pretend to be something there aren't? I haven't found a one lie on the main page. Unity and other engines have some bugs and fixes regularly as well and they are not putting on the main page "WE ARE BUGGED AT THE MOMENT!".

I'd say C2 has a bad time recently cause of third parties issues. I also said on several posts recently that "I have a bad timing with releasing my app" because of Intel and Cocoon issues. But it wasn't always like that. Once they fix the criticals there is again a "good era".

Intel XDK is releasing CW16 soon which will improve performane very much. And Andy is working now on templates for CocoonIO to show how we can implement custom cordova plugins which will allow to get rid of some permission requirements. So fixes are comming. People are working.

I am not with Construct from it's beginning but I am sure it is a much more proffesional tool and with many more possibilities than it was at the beginning. And it will be better every year.

"You can do good things for a whole life, but if you fail once - this one will be remembered". Be fair guys. Go check other engines. That is fine. I do it myself for various purposes and I see nothing bad in this. But sh***ing on what is written on the main page and comparing software to the bike is just foolish.

Do they give you updates and new features to your bike regularly and for free? Oh... welll...

• megatronx

for me the godot seems to be the most easy step in to scripting. The GDscript is very simple to understand and I believe that learning some scripting will eventually pay off.

Thanks for info, but right now don't have will, while doing several other things. Maybe in future. Though I wish they'd just do event's too.

• As long as users remain polite and don't troll or slag each other off, then free, opinionated discussion is always acceptable.

I'm absolutely certain Ashley and the Scirra team would agree.

• I think all this slagging off of C2 and in the process promoting a competing product on Scirra's own homepage is pretty tasteless frankly.

Not at all, these are serious concerns.

People should better understand the limitations of C2, despite it being a great engine for intuitive coding.

Disappointment comes when their expectations are too far above the capabilities of C2.

I know it's limitations, and sometimes I am upset over the bugs that 3rd party wrappers introduce, but I'm not disappointed with C2 at all. I'm very grateful for it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)