Time to move forward?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a code so you can see the same skin on all screens (peers). Each peer gets a skin, in addition to 4 directions t
  • FMFM

Every engine needs a time to get familiar with and godot isn't going to make differense in that field. But for me it seems to be quite easy to approach. Unlike unity or ue4. Godots own

got me quite fast on the tracks...

• > and we are very anxiously awaiting C3.

>

You both know that C3 is planning on using the exact same HTML5 export/runtime as C2 right?

> BTW the stated goal of C3 is to rebuild the editor and keep the same runtime, so this is not really the kind of thing we intend to change anyway in the scope of that project.

>

Well, then we will evaluate purchasing it as we go then. Either way, we have a very useful product in C2.

• > Regarding that C2 is a "product which is supposed to do what it says on the box" I must disagree a bit. Software is not a bike. You can say that about an easy accountant software which needs just one update a year to adjust new tax rules, but not about an engine which is made to make other software. Thinking this ways you should have the version of C2 which you downloaded as first, and use only wrappers and everything around with the version which was available the time you downloaded that first C2. Then it would be what was on the box (at that time).

>

Perhaps some more background to why I feel C2 doesn't live up to its promise would help.

See, this is good history, that I never knew, because I joined late. We are using C2 for it's presently stated purpose, which is HTML5 development on a 2-D JS canvas. In that respect it is a very easy to learn alternative to other options that we looked at.

We will eventually branch out into other games with native exporters which will cause us to go to something like Unity (or some other exporter).

• I am afraid the vast majority of people who buy C2 (or game maker or unity etc) never get close to publishing a game. The first steps of game development are far more important (and far more common) than the last. Most of us are very happy with the first coding experience in C2 and though we say we care about publishing it never happens. From this point of view their time would be well spent in working on C3 and getting an even easier to use starting experience than in fooling with publishing work-arounds.

yours

winkr7

I already have development servers running. Our game will be published, hell or high water. I will probably even publish it if our Kickstarter falls flat, just because our costs are so low. I can work a part time job and afford all of the infrastructure necessary to publish this game.

• FMFM

Every engine needs a time to get familiar with and godot isn't going to make differense in that field. But for me it seems to be quite easy to approach. Unlike unity or ue4. Godots own

got me quite fast on the tracks...

It's funny how it works, but sometimes things just click. When I left C2 to move on to a 3d engine, I tried Unity, and it was okay. At the time, some things were a bit lacking. So, I tried UE4. It seemed much better in some ways, but overall ended up being more complex for my game. The blueprint system was nice, but the amount of components made some things a bit more convoluted than they should be. UE4 is still a good engine though.

Just recently, I decided to come back to Unity to look at my mini project, and things just started clicking. I even learned a bit of C#. With the updates to Unity, I feel it is much more on par with UE4 now, and is more straight forward in many ways. I have been making steady progress ever since I came back to it.

I'll be posting an update on my C2 game port in a month or two.

• Godot looks good. I'll give it a shot when they'll have that visual scripting ( as I have no intention of learning how to script )

• ... when they'll have that visual scripting..

What? Do they plan to itengrate visual scripting?

• megatronx

for me the godot seems to be the most easy step in to scripting. The GDscript is very simple to understand and I believe that learning some scripting will eventually pay off.

glerikud

they have it on roadmap for upcoming releases...

FMFM

all Okam studio games are made with godot

More examples

This is a nice place to start learning

Also visual scripting is in plans...

Nice examples at the developers youtube channel

Isometric tilemaps with lighting for example.

The more deep I dig into Godot the more excited I am.

Here is a really

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • The GDscript is very simple to understand and I believe that learning some scripting will eventually pay off.

This is the thing which always scared me out from GameMaker. Their own script language. And now Godot has their own one as well. It would be much better if they use some popular language. There are so many languages out there why to make another one?

When you spend your time to learn the popular language like JS, C# (w/e) then you still have some skills in hands even when you quit the engine. And now when you spend months mastering their own language, you are left with no power once you quit.

But after all.... all script language are based on the same rules (conditions, functions, objects etc.) so if you know one already, learning second one will be much easier. But still each language has different classes, libraries etc. so there is always a lot to learn.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not discouraging from learning to code or using Godot. I was always encouraging people to learn how to program cause it is fun and not so scarry as might seem at first sight. And Godot looks really nice as well and I might give it a try some day also. I'm just dissapointed that there is some "dead" language inside.

It's like with the countries languages. I lived and worked in Holland for about 3 years. And at first I planned to learn Dutch (Holland's language). And my project manager (who was Dutch) said "Why would you learn Dutch?! It's only around 16mil people on the world speaking this language. And everybody here speaks english anyway."

So you got my point .

Here is a really

This is really nice

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • they have it on roadmap for upcoming releases...

Thanks for the links. I hope they do that feature soon.

• I believe that learning a simple scripting language is a easy entry to more complex coding. As you said the principles are the same. Learning new things is always wise because all knowledge is somehow related. Simple scripting could be easily compared to Constructs eventing.

• neverk yes it is always wise to learn new things. But it's always better to spend your time on something more valuable then less . I'm not sure if learning simple language is better at start. After all, all languages are kinda on the same level of complexity. I'm not talking about low-level programming languages like Assembler, but high-level languages are all the same. No matter if you pick JAVA, C# etc. in the end you are familiar with classes, functions, objects etc. And then there are paradigms like design patterns which you may use actually in any language, just the implementation differs a bit.

Simple language probably won't allow you do go in very details of the app memory mechanics etc, but after all you don't have to do it with the "big" languages also (but at least you have a choice).

Many years ago I started with Pascal language. It is quite simple. But usless after all. I have some friends who started with JAVA or ANSI C and they managed to go on as well. Simple language means nothing else then making you kinda handicapped in some cases.

But let's not go deeper. Talking about which language is better than the other is like talking about religion or politics. It's never ending story and everyone has it's own right .

Back to the topic, again I'm not discouraging at all! Learn to code, coding is fun. And regarding Construct's eventing. It's nothing else than a visual programming, so it is also coding, just you cannot make a typo

• The more deep I dig into Godot the more excited I am.

Here is a really

Super cool!

Thanks for all the tips. I knew about Godot but I never spent much time to figure out how it works. Now, after read your posts I started to learn Godot yesterday and I really liked.

I believe that learning a simple scripting language is a easy entry to more complex coding. As you said the principles are the same. Learning new things is always wise because all knowledge is somehow related. Simple scripting could be easily compared to Constructs eventing.

Wow! It's a realtime preview. Awesome.

This is the thing which always scared me out from GameMaker. Their own script language. And now Godot has their own one as well. It would be much better if they use some popular language. There are so many languages out there why to make another one?

When you spend your time to learn the popular language like JS, C# (w/e) then you still have some skills in hands even when you quit the engine. And now when you spend months mastering their own language, you are left with no power once you quit.

GDScript is based in Python, so it's not really a new language. It's just adapted their own needs. They talk about it in the tutorial.

• GDScript is based in Python, so it's not really a new language. It's just adapted their own needs. They talk about it in the tutorial.

That's a +1 for Godot. Or even +2

• GODOT engine looks great but lacks any kind of mobile monetization options.

That's a shame

On topic: I agree with neverk, Construct 2 makes HTML5 games, everything else is a hack.

And as has been said, a developer should be familiar with and willing to use different tools depending on the requirements.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)