thoughts on collision data, and collision resolution

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
From the Asset Store
DATA+ (Addon Pack)
$11.25 USD
50% off
Data+ is the best Data Management solution for Construct 3. It contains 4 Addons (Plugin & Behavior).
  • I don't know if anyone else would be interested in this but I would love to be able to get a little more back from the system on overlapping objects. Right know, we can only know if something is overlapping and that is it. Given that construct 2 uses polygons for collision, there should be some good information left over from calculating those overlaps.

My thought is that surface normals and points of contact could be really useful in making alternate styles of collision resolution.

As it stands, there is the platformer (and the custom movement) behavior that can be used to resolve collisions, but the algorithms have somewhat of a classic feel, but they don't offer much capabilities beyond that. You can certainly emulate the collisions and calculate surface normals, but it seems strange to calculate info already calculated.

If you play a bunch of platformers, you will realize there is an enormous wealth of approaches to collision detection and resolution. These different ways of doing the same thing can help give a game a unique feel. How you resolve collisions plays a large part in this feel. Take superMario3 for example, You'll notice that depending on the direction mario is moving, and the location of a block, it may resolve the collision in a way that makes no sense physically but makes plenty of sense based on the players perspective and intent.

What do people think? How many of the developers out here end up implementing their own collision systems / platform behaviors? and if so, to what extent (ie... do you build off of the base behavior or have you tried making something from scratch?)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)