Things about Image editor.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • Once again, I don't give a crap about image painting, editing, modifying or whatever.

All I'm saying in first post is related to have more control over animations and animation frames.

There is no external software that will import your frames or sprite sheets, set all animation names with correct properties and set all Image points with collision mask.

If you start using more then 2 animations and more then 3 frames per animation you will then understand how wonderful and friendly image editor is.

Irbis thanks for pointing that out

Thndr You are misunderstanding. I'm importing nice and tidy spritesheets. but there's a lot of them. and for every each of them I need to set diffrent animation name with different properties. Wouldn't be easier to just import spritesheet as animation while preserving file name as animation name? Wouldn't be easier to select all animations and set only once "speed = 0" then click each one every time? Wouldn't be easier to be able to copy image point or collision mask and past it to all frames you want instead of manually placing it for each frame (yes there is an option to set for whole animation or for all animations, but it's good only in some cases) ?

I've attached one of my simplest spritesheets - this is first frame of walk cycle animation. There are 56 more spritesheets with same setup.

• Once again, I don't give a crap about image painting, editing, modifying or whatever.

All I'm saying in first post is related to have more control over animations and animation frames.

There is no external software that will import your frames or sprite sheets, set all animation names with correct properties and set all Image points with collision mask.

If you start using more then 2 animations and more then 3 frames per animation you will then understand how wonderful and friendly image editor is.

Irbis thanks for pointing that out

Thndr You are misunderstanding. I'm importing nice and tidy spritesheets. but there's a lot of them. and for every each of them I need to set diffrent animation name with different properties. Wouldn't be easier to just import spritesheet as animation while preserving file name as animation name? Wouldn't be easier to select all animations and set only once "speed = 0" then click each one every time? Wouldn't be easier to be able to copy image point or collision mask and past it to all frames you want instead of manually placing it for each frame (yes there is an option to set for whole animation or for all animations, but it's good only in some cases) ?

I've attached one of my simplest spritesheets - this is first frame of walk cycle animation. There are 56 more spritesheets with same setup.

+1

Please people, read the first page of this thread...

• Yeah I experience weird behaviour with the image editor. No crashes, just confusing behaviour involving frames/animations appearing to be selected but it's actually editing a different frame/animation (usually the first frame/first animation in the list).

• shinkan

Ah, understandable. Due to the other posts and with no real example of what you were trying to do I was misunderstanding what exactly you were having problems with.

Yeah I agree, quality of life improvements related to animation management and importing should be a thing to improve. Anything related with outside resource management and animation management really, as C2 is the only thing that manages it for C2.

There are workarounds but for organized asset management like you have, even 2 minutes per animation saved is about 2 hours for just that one spriteset.

• Bumping it up

• This is worth a bump. The improvements suggested apply to animation workflow, not to image creation, and thus, these are functions that can't be outsourced to an external app.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • -Add option for lock proportions when rescaling images. If you have an irregular in dimensions image like 460x 234 and you want to half size or 3/4 size it, you need a calculator. Ideally, the Resize Image Canvas tool could have the functionality to do math in conjunction with the locked proportions. So, in the dimensions mentioned above, one could put 460/2 or 460*0.75 on the Width field and get the desired result on both dimensions.

Yes please! Plus everything else.

• Seeing as how the export is made to use pow^2 for sprite sheets, wouldn't it be nice to have something that says you have nth much space left for the next nearest p^2?

• Seeing as how the export is made to use pow^2 for sprite sheets, wouldn't it be nice to have something that says you have nth much space left for the next nearest p^2?

To be honest, after a lot of tests I still can't figure out how C2 exports to sprite sheet. Sometimes it will put all frame into a sprite sheet and sometimes it will leave all frames as separate objects... But if Image editor could show me how my sprites will look like after export then I'm all in.

https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=118152&p=849467#p849467

• Well, doesn't 3 64x64 images take up less video memory than 1 128x128?

64x64 = 16kb

128x128 = 65kb

So it's actually doing it the most efficient way for video memory, right? Or am I wrong?

• The export tries to put everything into a p^2 sheet. If the images are already p^2 then so much the better.

If it doesn't add up, it will then start another sheet.

The problem is you can't really manage those sheets posthumously, and you may not see that its an issue till all the artwork is already implemented.

• There seems to be a few pixels of "play" that needs to be considered too. I had 4 sprites that were 256x256 it would not put them in a 512x512 sheet. However, if you make them 254x254 then it does. I saved a ton of memory usage in my last game by looking over the exported sprite sheets and finding places I could optimize this.

• That might actually be a bug.

• I went into it in great detail here

• newt it's actually true. While making sprite sheets C2 adds now a fringe for each image to get better seamless results (it was added few releases back). Which is great but a bit strange approach, because you can't make perfect p^2 textures anymore. You need to make them a bit smaller to fit p^2 on export... Which again in some cases can be problematic.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)