Text object editing rant

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Sorry for a rant.

But what I really dislike about C2 is the text object editor. Why are we limited to the text field? It is extremely inconvenient. Adding/editing even a paragraph of text takes longer time than it should

• I think it is a standard for this type of application, a live update preview on the text object would be nice and writing directly into the text object would be nicer...

• Couldnt agree more, its pretty shoddy as it is.

• Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

• Sorry for a rant.

But what I really dislike about C2 is the text object editor. Why are we limited to the text field? It is extremely inconvenient. Adding/editing even a paragraph of text takes longer time than it should

Yes it is inconvenient. For large blocks of text I do a 'set text' on start of layout. Then you get a text edit box that sizes to the amount of text you enter, and you can see all your text at once in the event sheet. I'm sure the new C3 editor will address this

• Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

Is this what you mean? This is an example I have that uses a new line half way through.

"FPS: " & fps & " Objects: " & objectcount & newline & "IMU: " & ImageMemoryUsage & " CPU: " & round(cpuutilisation * 100)

• > Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

>

Is this what you mean? This is an example I have that uses a new line half way through.

"FPS: " & fps & " Objects: " & objectcount & newline & "IMU: " & ImageMemoryUsage & " CPU: " & round(cpuutilisation * 100)

I don' think so.. So when setting the default value in the text object, i want to get two lines:

"this is one line"

"this is

two lines"

• like cacotigon said ...arghhh

• There's no way to set multiple lines in a text box field in the C2 editor short of editing the project XML file. Your other choices are loading a script file at run-time or assigning the text box using set value in conjunction with the 'newline' keyword.

• >

> > Is there a way to do "new line"? think i tried \n and <br> which didn't seem to work

> >

>

> Is this what you mean? This is an example I have that uses a new line half way through.

>

> "FPS: " & fps & " Objects: " & objectcount & newline & "IMU: " & ImageMemoryUsage & " CPU: " & round(cpuutilisation * 100)

>

I don' think so.. So when setting the default value in the text object, i want to get two lines:

"this is one line"

"this is

two lines"

Hmm, I'm not sure. Resizing the text box to be tall and not very wide will give you multiple lines automatically since it should put things that don't fit on the next line. You can set "line height" to a larger number. That would give the impression of space between lines. So, those are things you could try. There isn't a whole lot else I can think of.

The way I posted before I just typed in the code in my last post in the event sheet with a "set text" event. You enter the "& newline" where you want the break.

The example text I posted before looks like this in game:

• Automatic resizing for new lines is very suboptimal. Say you want your lines to be different widths? Like in a dialogue.

Like this:

[quote:1vlh4aid]Rachael: Have you ever retired a human by mistake?

Deckard: No.

Rachael: But in your position that is a risk...

Another problem is that the sizes of the font are not displayed correctly (at least for some fonts).

Like if I select Helvetica 54 in the editor and in html5 it gives me something like Helvetica 48.

Thats makes aligning text objects a nightmare.

Considering C2 is an HTML5 engine, I don't know why it should be the case.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 is powered by HTML5, sure would be nice if we could have a text object that supports html tags!

• C2 is a canvas renderer. Not a DOM. So HTML tags don't work in the Canvas Renderer at all. Personally I think the DOM objects should be removed as it creates more difficulties than it's worth. We get threads as needing improved DOM behaviors when all the games should not be using DOM objects.

Instead the DOM should be removed and a proper UI that works with Canvas should be the only defacto UI items.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)