Suggestion: Select/Replace all instances of an object

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • There have been many times while working on my project that I've wanted to replace every instance of an object, either on one specific layout, or every layout in my current project.

I'm unaware if there's currently a way to do this, but I think it would be great if I could right click on an object, then select either "all instances in layout" or "all instances in project" which is pretty self explanatory.

Additional functionality would be to replace all objects selected, which could be done with either another function in the right click menu, or an additional field in the object properties itself which lists the object name, but is editable (either drop down, text, or both.) This way you can select the object, and change the field in the object properties and voila! All selected instances are replaced.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Right Click > Replace Object

Right Click > Replace Object > Select Which Object to Replace > Replace Object with

The catch is that the object you are replacing must have the same vars/types and behaviors.

As a guide. Use families most of the time. it will save you grief.

• I think what BigHid Ikarus means is to have a context menu "select" and "replace" within the layout view, not the event sheet, just like the "align" and "z-order" menus.

While you can't replace the instances that exist in your layout view, you can select them all at once by clicking on any specific object either on the Objects Window or the Projects Window list. After that, you can move them around or delete them all together from the layout.

• I think what BigHid Ikarus means is to have a context menu "select" and "replace" within the layout view, not the event sheet, just like the "align" and "z-order" menus.

While you can't replace the instances that exist in your layout view, you can select them all at once by clicking on any specific object either on the Objects Window or the Projects Window list. After that, you can move them around or delete them all together from the layout.

What he said.

I'm aware you can select them all from the Projects Window, I just wish there was more functionality in changing objects on a global scale across your project.

Right now I have to go in and manually replace every instance of an object I have placed, which gets difficult depending on how many are placed and how many layouts the object is present in.

• Yes, I understand.

For the time being, If both objects are of the same object type (sprite), perhaps importing the images and/or the animations of the new object to the old one could prove to be a more efficient workflow time-wise. Especially if both objects have common instance variables and behaviors.

• Right now I have to go in and manually replace every instance of an object I have placed, which gets difficult depending on how many are placed and how many layouts the object is present in.

This is kind of crazy, because I'm facing exactly the opposite problem. I want to change an object in one layout but because it was created when the layout was copied from an earlier layout, changing this object (in this case a background image) changes it in the original layout as well, so ruining the original layout!!

How can I prevent this unwanted behaviour. Is there something I should tick/untick in a preferences dialog that I have missed?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)