0 Favourites

Spritefonts and Korean / Hangeul

• I assume the answer is no, but I will ask anyway. Does the spritefont plugin support Hangeul, the Korean writing system?

• In theory, yes - SpriteFont works by looking up a single character (which can be any character) and representing it with a section of the image. However I'm not sure how unicode-correct this process is. Have you tried it? Also some languages use hundreds or thousands of characters, which make them unsuitable for sprite fonts, since you'd need a huge image with loads of content. Web fonts might be a better alternative for that.

• I have not attempted to do so yet. I'll go ahead and build a test.

• Construct 3

Buy Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Buy Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Good news. Theory is confirmed. It works.

CAPX

Some explanation is helpful. Hangeul consists of a 24 letter alphabet. However, unlike the English/Latin alphabet, it is not written sequentially. It is written in syllabic blocks. Thus, a word like Korea is written as ?? (han-guk). This contains the letter sequence of ??????.

I read through some of the Unicode material on how Hangeul is encoded. It encodes the letters ?? ? as three unique characters and ?, a syllabic block, also as a unique character. This creates an "interesting" problem.

There are more than 11,000 possible syllabic blocks. Though, not all of them are phonologically possible in modern Korean. I believe it still numbers somewhere in the thousands. This means one might reasonably need to create a rather large image file. That would be game dependent of course, but it still makes me a little sad.

For reference, see the following Unicode PDFs.

• Good to know it works. You could get away with using the minimum necessary for your game. But yeah, this is a tricky part of using sprite fonts.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)