Should I use C2 for a large game?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • It's going to depend on the type of large game. I think it would be better to implement an RPG in Unity or a graphic adventure in Wintermute, or a text game in Inform, but for platformers, shooters, and puzzle games of virtually any size, I'd go for C2 first.

I'm not sure why you would recommend using unity for an rpg instead of c2? I can tell you from experience c2 is entirely capable of making them. I've also read quite a few people talking about how unity can be a bit hard to work with for 2d.

• I'm not sure why you would recommend using unity for an rpg instead of c2? I can tell you from experience c2 is entirely capable of making them. I've also read quite a few people talking about how unity can be a bit hard to work with for 2d.

Well, for a "modern" RPG, I think most people are expecting either a 3D or a 2.5 engine to bring it to life, and would also appreciate higher quality graphics.

I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.

• As it was stated, C2 helps you design your game, and really the game.

Also, It can handle larges projects as far as I know, but still, remember to keep your events clear, and to think about the player, ( and the limitations you have in any programming tool anyway only when you are ready to begin).

I suggest you to think about your entire game before beginning to do it inside C2:

When you program it, you already knows (almost) everything about it, don't think about limitations beforehand, don't limit your imagination, just apply it as well as you can.

PS: that is funny, yesterday I was posting something about how to make your game live in your mind before even programming it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, for a "modern" RPG, I think most people are expecting either a 3D or a 2.5 engine to bring it to life, and would also appreciate higher quality graphics.

I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.

Bah! How dare you insinuate 2d cannot be modern and is inferior to 3d! Rar! And stuff. /mock rage

Seriously though, of course you're not gonna get people trying to make 3d games with c2, and as for project eternity if you had the coders with the shader coding chops everything in that video might be able to be done with c2 as well (though it might require some modification to c2's rendering engine, I don't know). The reason I think that is there was actually some preliminary work done on a shader for cc quite a while back that did some of what's in that video: http://www.scirra.com/forum/wow-2d-graphics-with-3d-lighting-depth-info-etc_topic39079.html based upon the amazingness of this video:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Also, there are lots of 2d RPGs out there, though it's true they're mainly in the indie scene, and those projects you linked aren't exactly indie studios. There's different levels of expectations for indies.

• I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.

3D is a production choice, it is usually easier (and less costly) to reuse assets, models and bone animations for games of a big scale.

But even I couldn't do it myself, I'm pretty sure a game as big as Mario & Luigi: Bowser's inside is possible in C2 ^^

• > I'm not sure why you would recommend using unity for an rpg instead of c2? I can tell you from experience c2 is entirely capable of making them. I've also read quite a few people talking about how unity can be a bit hard to work with for 2d.

Well, for a "modern" RPG, I think most people are expecting either a 3D or a 2.5 engine to bring it to life, and would also appreciate higher quality graphics.

Of course C2 can't do 3d gaming. It's not meant. These companies chose unity because the community and support is phenominal. As much as people still use Windows for use.

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

2D rpg brawler like Shadows over Mystara

However, I would love to see a game like this which C2 can do

Subscribe to Construct videos now

What's really holding back C2 from big games isn't the tools. it's that there are no development teams that can dedicate the time and resources. Even the kickstarter C2 projects are usually only 1 or 2 people and the goal isn't that much.

There was Quantum Flux that had a target goal of $2000. Really, this is tiny for game dev. Maybe 10k, but then would have people funded the project. Without some really excellent sales pitch and a strong name. C2 projects won't see high levels of funding.

So with no large funding projects. C2 is going take a long time before it sees that big iconic game.

• The only limitations i have in doing a big game with C2, are the devices i target (ios android), and so the use of ram, not due to C2, but for example Ludei who is late to update in the memory managment.

(even if it would have been great to have a system like in Stencyl for example, to deal with different graphic size)

Otherwise, I think C2 has no limits, in therm of "size" of game.

I personnaly love that software, but because that memory can't be managed on mobile devices, i think of changing for the moment, since Apple forces dev to use hi-res graphics :)

But if it's for a web or pc game, no limits to my opinion, even if i suppose it's still important to optimize it at the max.

• I plan on making a metroidvania game w/ a large map and multiple difficulty levels, and the main thing I'm concerned about is the long-term of saving your game. I keep hearing things about the cache being cleared and nuking your saves? Something like that?

That's my main hang-up... Any advice on this concern?

• Dominius2003 If you are releasing your game on a website, yes it will be a problem because as you said, if the user clear the browser cache the game save will be deleted.

But if you are making a desktop game using node-webkit for exemple or a windows 8 game, it will not be a problem because the save location for webstorage is different

• I think I have a decently large project going with Courier, though it isn't anywhere near complete (and is releasing progressively anyways, so that's irrelevant). I haven't had any problems with C2 other than occasional crashes from running previews too often. The only tough things are updating audio tracks as far as I've noticed. And there are a couple small quirks to making an adaptive soundtrack work. It also isn't quite as easy to do team work on the coding aspect of it all, but that isn't an issue for me.

If you are targeting a fully-2D finished product, I can't really find any reason NOT to use C2 unless there are some extremely different rendering things you find necessary. I'll be having a closed beta at the end of this month, so hopefully things pan out nicely.

• Dominius2003 Mimiste - save games are not saved to the cache. The cache is for temporary things; save games to to WebStorage or IndexedDB which are permanent storages. Clearing the cache does not erase savegames.

• Fantastic! Thanks!

In that case my game's on like Donkey Kong =D Except not Donkey Kong bc I don't need to plagerize ;)

See you guys in 3 years when it's done! LOL!

• Also, there are lots of 2d RPGs out there, though it's true they're mainly in the indie scene, and those projects you linked aren't exactly indie studios. There's different levels of expectations for indies.

I was thinking down the lines of, can C2 be used for truly high-quality, large-scale projects? Right now, C2 has no flagship game which really highlights its full capabilities, so as someone who's still quite a newbie when it comes to development, I probably have a decent idea what might theoretically be done with C2, but on the other hand, without that shining example I might be underestimating it.

I can't think of a reason why C2 couldn't be used for hugely successful games like SpaceChem or Braid, but the truth of our current state of affairs is that virtually all of even C2's best games would fall into the above-average hobbyist range, like No One Has to Die, AirScape, and Super Ubi Land. That's not a knock on those games, because they're all legitimately strong games, and they were made by small teams or just one person (like Braid). (And hey I just ran across Magi, which is really delightful.)

From what I can tell, C2 is ideally suited to these sorts of games. No one's yet made an RPG with C2 that anyone would consider buying, while I can easily see an expanded version of AirScape making silly amounts of money in independent sales or on Steam or XBox/etc.

T:ToN and PE both use pre-rendered backgrounds with true 3-D characters and creatures, which C2 might be able to duplicate some of, but I'd just have to see a playable demo (or have Ashley or Tom promise it's so) to believe it's possible or practical to make a game on par with even Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1&2, or Neverwinter Nights. C2 doesn't have to be the perfect tool for all games, just the best one for some.

• Making a big game with C2? May I ask, if anybody has tried having hundred of layouts and hundreds of object types? Does C2 start to hiccup in some ways or no?

• Game Dev Tycoon is a HTML5 app. Compiled with node-webkit, exported to Windows, Mac and Linux.

Take it look.

http://www.greenheartgames.com/app/game-dev-tycoon/

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)