Should I keep C2 or move on ?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a code so you can see the same skin on all screens (peers). Each peer gets a skin, in addition to 4 directions t
  • Thanks for the post, very illuminating.

I've been considering alternatives myself like Godot because of console support, apparently there are exporters for it available for licensed developers. But Godot 3 is still a few months away and Unity with its mixture of scripts and drag-n-drop component whatever is just too damned convoluted for me, so I'll stick with C2 for the time being at least. Doesn't seem likely, but if C3 turned out to have something like the Chowdren exporter that would be absolutely grand!

• ErekT Godot is pretty good for 2D already. Haven't had any luck in 3D, but Godot 3 does look very impressive.

Any chance you were using JavaScript in Unity? I find the JavaScript editing to be painful because it has poor code highlighting and almost non-existant code completion (whereas C# is awesome with Visual Studio Community 2015, installed by default now).

Also, there are plugins for Unity like PlayMaker and PlyGame that give two unique ways of doing visual scripting as well (PlayMaker like Blueprints in UE4, PlyGame like Scratch/maybe at a stretch of the imagination like Construct)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For Unity there's always uScript which is quite good actually. I agree with ErekT. Gimme an exporter like Chowdren and I'll be happy. Pretty much most engines and frameworks export to native.

• Jayjay

Yeah I went with javascript as the syntax is a bit simpler. But the scripting bit in Unity was actually fine. Apart from the platform behaviour I've built my own system for most things with C2 events already, more or less the same way I would with a regular scripting language. I think what rubbed me the wrong way was how you're supposed to integrate the scripting with the visual editor. Drag and drop scripts onto objects, and then they become components, and then you have to use GetComponent() to access other scripts and some other function to access other objects, and exposed variables that override the script and... I dunno, it just felt messy

For Unity there's always uScript which is quite good actually. I agree with ErekT. Gimme an exporter like Chowdren and I'll be happy. Pretty much most engines and frameworks export to native.

Yeah, fingers crossed Scirra start to take seriously the grievances users have with html5-only. I mean, it's starting to come around for the desktop platforms, but support for anything else seems either mediocre or non-existent.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)