Search UI is painful

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Words Search Puzzle Template in Construct 2 and Construct 3
  • Hi Construct 2

Here's what I think about the search UI of Construct 2 ! Basically, each time I do a search, I lose 3 seconds to show the code around my search : type search, watch the line number, clear search filter, you're kicked to line 1, so you scroll back to the line number ... Repeating this hundreds of time a day while developping on Construct 2! Either i'm missing something (but I looked everywhere in the options), either I'm sharing this problem with many developpers on big projects and there could be very simple solutions, inspired from regular coding. And i'm pretty sure you all know how important search is, especially for big/huge projects ! I know you're already on Construct 3 and I hope these are already fixed .. But I share it anyway

• When you do a search, there's a filter on it. Please allow to search without filter : there's too often important code related to your search that is hidden ! It's major cause of mistakes when modifying while doing a research. A simple focus would be just fine !
    • At least, when you clear the search filter, keep the focus on the line you're reading.
    • Allow to search on every sheet. Splitting the code into sheets is great ! But sometimes you can't remember where you put something .. And you have to make a search in every single sheet.

I think these very simple features would make a huge time gain and comfort difference for any C2 developper

Best

• I understand your problem and I agree with your suggestions

Bookmarks can help you a little bit though

Search > Ctrl+F2 to place bookmarks > Esc to clear search > F2 to cycle through bookmarks, including your search results

• I agree. The event filtering can be useful occasionally but most of the time it ends up confusing me.

I'd much rather use an 'ordinary' search which would just jump me to the searched string.

• Bookmarks can help you a little bit though

Search > Ctrl+F2 to place bookmarks > Esc to clear search > F2 to cycle through bookmarks, including your search results

Already tried this method, as you can imagine It has several inconvenients :

• you need to clean it afterwards. All in all, it's just not as fast as "remember line number+scroll to after clear".
    • it messes up your real bookmarks, if you have some

I agree. The event filtering can be useful occasionally but most of the time it ends up confusing me.

I'd much rather use an 'ordinary' search which would just jump me to the searched string.

Exactly ! Simple jump, with buttons "next/previous found", as in most simple notepads. And eventually a list of bookmarks of all item founds in the project / folder, as in good developpement softwares

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • it's just not as fast as "remember line number+scroll

I agree it's not an ideal solution, but pressing F2 takes you instantly to the next bookmarks so you don't have to scroll. So it is still faster than scrolling to search results. Scrolling also gets slower with more events.

• Actually you may be right. and I just deleted all my bookmarks to try this workaround.

• +1

What I would like is a little box underneath the search feature that is a "Go to event number" option.

So after you do a normal search and find where you want to be, simply type the number and after the search is cleared the editor will jump straight to it.

• I just wish it wouldn't lose my place when I clear the search.

• > pressing F2 takes you instantly to the next bookmarks so you don't have to scroll.

omg, didn't know about this... THANKS!

but +1 to clear the search and staying in the same place..

• I brought this up in a feature request over a year ago:

While searching the forums for my old post, here is another request from someone else.

There were others as well that I remember over the years, but I don't feel like looking for them.

I think the main issue is that people don't like losing their place when they clear a search.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)