Scirra signalling server down?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • i am working on a project i have noticed that i am unable to connect to scirra's official free signalling server (wss://multiplayer.scirra.com)

i also tried other example capx i found and even tried to access scirra's sample game online which can be seen on the screenshot. still can't connect.

if this a server problem, i hope this can be fixed soon because i am working on something very urgent. if not, what are the fixes that i should do.

to be honest, i am a bit anxious that this might happen on our presentation day.

• I have been working on a multiplayer game since october. I have not been able to get the online working since yesterday afternoon. The 'on signaling error' event always seems to throw a '[Object Event]' error everytime I try to connect to multiplayer.

Pressing F12 reveals that it is getting: 'WebSocket connection to 'wss://multiplayer.scirra.com/' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'

I am getting this error on 3 Computers in different locations.

Is the signaling server down?

Is there any other signaling server that I can test to see if multiplayer works?

My game is online at: https://jordonbc.github.io/alienwars

• Server had crashed and has been reboot now.

If you have questions about reliability you can always buy the signalling server software in the online shop and run it on your own hardware server to keep a constant access on your server and configure it as you like.

If you have questions about reliability you can always buy the signalling server software in the online shop and run it on your own hardware server to keep a constant access on your server and configure it as you like.

Ahhh Thanks .

Thanks for getting it back online again!

To be clear, when you say "server had crashed", you mean the actual server and not the software itself right?

I see no point in buying software that constantly crashes on me, I'd rather let Ashley do the job of maintaining it instead, if the software is at fault of course.

• : I don't know which one was specifically in cause.

All I know is that the server is far from "constantly" crashing (at least according to the dates in this topic, the previous crash issue was during October 2016, that's not what I would call "constantly").

Moreover, anybody running a website and or software on a server knows that they need regular rebooting and other maintenance (whether hardware or software).

If your game is a hobby project and that the multiplayer part is not the heart of the gameplay/that important, I guess relying on a service provided "as is" is indeed enough.

For any serious commercial project or project based around multiplayer, it would make more sense to handle its own server and be able to restart/configure/maintain it in order to react quicker and not share the load with any C2 user that wants to use the signalling server as well.

• Kyatric - Do you by any chance know the amount of load it can handle simultaneously? It doesn't have to be accurate, just an approximation.

• : No idea. I guess the best placed to answer this would be Ashley or

If they are willing/allowed/able to answer it though.

Again, the service is provided as is to help facilitate "non-tech savy users" making multiplayer games.

I would still recommend for a serious project that you handle your hosting yourself as it just is making sense.

• : I don't know which one was specifically in cause.

All I know is that the server is far from "constantly" crashing (at least according to the dates in this topic, the previous crash issue was during October 2016, that's not what I would call "constantly").

Moreover, anybody running a website and or software on a server knows that they need regular rebooting and other maintenance (whether hardware or software).

Alrighty, still very thankful that Scirra takes care of the hosting for us.

You seem to be working very closely with Ashley, if you're allowed to I would like to ask you a question. Could you maybe share the name (or link) of the hoster that Scirra uses?

I would like to work with a trustworthy hoster and if Scirra decided to work with the current hoster, it must be trustworthy in my opinion.

I'm interested in buying a server for my commercial game and hosting from my private home-server doesn't seem to be the best option since it's mostly busy with hosting other game servers and services.

• The signalling server is now hosted with Rackspace (we moved it recently). The recent crash was due to a bug in the signalling server software which I subsequently fixed and updated the server with the patch. It can be pretty tricky to deal with these issues - something which happens after a month of continuous hosting and upwards of 100,000 connections over that time is the very definition of a hard-to-reproduce bug. So revisions to fix every last possible bug that could happen over years of hosting can take a while to fully verify.

If you don't trust us or Rackspace or you have some critical project depending on it, you can buy the signalling server from the store and host your own. However take care to note all the advice in the store page & readme - you must specifically ensure the server is not behind NAT (Network Address Translation) and set up TLS for a secure websocket, otherwise your server will likely be less reliable than ours.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The signalling server is now hosted with Rackspace (we moved it recently). The recent crash was due to a bug in the signalling server software which I subsequently fixed and updated the server with the patch.

Thanks a lot for the info. Hoping that my game will reach about 5% of Scirra's connections per month, there will most-likely be no crashes at all on my end, if they're somehow related to that. Setting up the server shouldn't take longer than a weekend and for the given price, it's great to hear that active support is included. Although I'm currently not really feeling the need to buy and run my own server, Scirra's server is doing the job just fine.

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but would you maybe consider adding a monthly restart to reduce the chances of the server crashing? The most server-hosters offer automated systems/scripts to do that. I think it would be better to have one predictable downtime each month instead of having a crash every few months (not constantly ). The plugin expression onerror could return the message that "it's down for maintenance" as well.

Obviously the community should be asked about this as well (maybe in form of a poll), if you would consider adding this.

• It already reboots once a month - it installs Windows Updates every Patch Tuesday.

• It already reboots once a month - it installs Windows Updates every Patch Tuesday.

Alright sounds good. Thanks for taking your time to answer all those questions of mine.

• Hello, getting that error today, is it down at this time?

• Hello, getting that error today, is it down at this time?

Probably updates or minor issues, Ashley will sort things out as soon as he can I guess.

Our watchers in the Construct Community are doing a good job with tracking downtimes and they've detected quite a lot today (usually just a few seconds).

If you want realtime updates on new blogposts and many more, feel free to join us.

(Sorry for the shameless promotion!)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)