Request: Right-to-left language support

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A complete set of graphical user interface (GUI) to build 2D video games. With wood, nature, & jungle theme
  • For those of us who want to support non-English languages in our games, I think we need right-to-left support? For instance with the SpriteFont object, every new word/character is added from left-to-right (even when you choose "Right Alignment") but I don't think this works with languages such as Arabic and Hebrew so it would be good to have an option. Thanks.

• +1

• Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.

• Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.

Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

That would make translation frustrating and inefficient, not to mention you'd need to manually test many times where each piece of text would line break (because it would be breaking it in the left-to-right fashion.

Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

Almost sounds good! But I think it might still require you to write the translations weirdly. And flipping the glyphs/symbols individually after importing them into the SpriteFont would be a pain.

It's really confusing to think about.

• > Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

>

Almost sounds good! But I think it might still require you to write the translations weirdly. And flipping the glyphs/symbols individually after importing them into the SpriteFont would be a pain.

I was suggesting to copy whole text object, not individual fonts. But maybe sprite fonts don't work the same as text object? Didn't know that.

• megatronx I think I was confused there.

The solution that's needed is to do with the "Right Alignment" "word wrapping", in our language strings we'll already have the translated words written from right-to-left so what we need is for the sentence to break correctly when word wrapping to a new line below. I think?

Here's how it looks now when you write this string "nine eight seven six five four three two one" (you read from the right to left).

You can see it didn't format it well, as it's incorrectly forcing you to read from bottom-to-top as well.

Here's how I think it should be shown with a right-to-left:

• > Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.

>

That would make translation frustrating and inefficient, not to mention you'd need to manually test many times where each piece of text would line break (because it would be breaking it in the left-to-right fashion.

> Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

>

How do u do your translation in c2 ?? any capx sample ?

• > istavang

>

> https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/444/su ... -languages

>

Thanks

What is the best way to go for mobile .. xml or json dictonary string ?

• istavang

It seems like the json method is the best way to go because as far as I know it works for everything. I haven't actually got around to supporting it my self yet though, so I can't really assist further.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)