Questions about ejecta

0 favourites
  • Hi,

I've seen the 165 build of c2 brings out ejecta support. That's great.

However in the post it's told that ejecta has issues with memory management. What's that? I can't use webstorage event?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think you can still use Webstorage, Memory Management is related to technical stuff that affects performance, webstorage should work

• If I understand correctly, memory management means that instead of loading new assets layout by layout, Ejecta will load all your assets at the start, and hold all of them in memory even though some of them aren't being used. CocoonJS has the same problem.

• Correct, Ejecta, same as CocoonJS, loads all images (but not audio files) on the initial loading of the game.

I just tested my game with the new ejecta exporter and the results as basically the same as with cocoonjs when it comes to memory usage. Note that if you used Ejecta in the past this exporter won't bring anything new to the table.

As for the performance, on the iPhone 5 the game runs smooth both with CocoonJS and Ejecta, maybe a bit smoother with Ejecta but maybe it's just me. On the iPhone 4 both versions have a harder time keeping the framerate up but the CocoonJS version seems to do a better job at it.

Regarding memory management, after the game loaded successfully the memory consumption actually drops, so in my experience there's a good chance that if the game fully loads without crashing, even with low memory warnings, the game probably won't crash while running.

• Correct, Ejecta, same as CocoonJS, loads all images (but not audio files) on the initial loading of the game.

I just tested my game with the new ejecta exporter and the results as basically the same as with cocoonjs when it comes to memory usage. Note that if you used Ejecta in the past this exporter won't bring anything new to the table.

As for the performance, on the iPhone 5 the game runs smooth both with CocoonJS and Ejecta, maybe a bit smoother with Ejecta but maybe it's just me. On the iPhone 4 both versions have a harder time keeping the framerate up but the CocoonJS version seems to do a better job at it.

Regarding memory management, after the game loaded successfully the memory consumption actually drops, so in my experience there's a good chance that if the game fully loads without crashing, even with low memory warnings, the game probably won't crash while running.

So there is issue with the audio?

• There's no issue with audio on Ejecta and CJS. The only issue and its a big one, is lack of proper layout-by-layout loading of assets. A whole can of whoop'ass is thrown into the vram (on mobiles its the device ram) on startup, taking a long time to load your game (30-40s for bigger games) and consuming 450MB of memory. That would instant kill an iPhone4S which is still the bulk of the iOS market.

Most people don't realize how BIG images are in memory as a texture.

• if Ejecta performs almost as good as Cocoon, this is very good news, as Ejecta is opensource & free whilst Cocoon is not!

• So.... Does anyone know, is there a proven and not too difficult (for the hard of thought ie me) way of displaying ads using Ejecta? I would dearly love to avoid the CJS flickering splash screen!

• Colludium - the Ejecta plugin can show iAds.

• Ejecta supports video too. Don't know about C2 plugin though

• Thanks ASHLEY. Sounds excellent. I now have some investigating to do involving my trusty old Mac...

• Ashley, this is a very small and trivial request... Would it be possible to change the Ejecta icon to something like this to help make it stand out from some of the other plugins (some of them already share the same cog-wheel icon)? Thanks.

• Of course, we just shipped it before we had an icon ready.

• Ashley, it was late at night (for me at least) so apologies if the request came across as a bit cheeky.

I gotta say I am impressed by the exporter and was bowled over by its sudden and unexpected appearance!

• To Ashley and the Ejecta developers,

Great job getting this up and running. I'm in the process of cleaning up a game for market, and iAds work great!

I know Ejecta doesn't handle HTML at all, so I've been working in Xcode to put a UIWebView at the top of the page to put my own HTML in. Unfortunately, the Ejecta Objective-C code is old-school (non-ARC) and this hobbyist programmer is struggling to keep up. Are there any Ejecta Objective-C developers out there that would be willing to add a "show HTML" action at the top of the page, just like currently exist for UIBannerViews? I was thinking something where you could edit the innerhtml, just like in the iFrame plugin?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)