questions about dxwebsetup.exe

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
  • I am getting close to releasing a desktop game using Nodewebkit and C2. Most machines I have tried, play the game terribly until I have installed dxwebkit.exe.

Before I start sending around pre-release demos of my game, I am wondering how common it is likely that an end user will need to use this dxwebkit.exe file. I was under the impression that Nodewebkit is just chromium using Webgl/opengl, so why the need for this DirectX download? My game works fine in Chrome, but when exported to NWK will perform terribly unless the dxwebkit download/update is performed.

Very confused as to what is going on here, and would appreciate some enlightenment Just concerned that when I send my game to press/reviewers etc, that they won't want to download this update to get the game working , and first impressions will be that it is unplayable at such a low fps.

Just packaging up my game to send to the Intel Level Up competition (deadline today) and have been working on this game for months, previewing it fine in Chrome. Didn't realise these issues till now. Yeah, I know....I should have done some tests exports before now

• You should create an installer that always runs dxwebsetup.exe, in case it is needed.

Google Chrome (and presumably other browsers) have an agreement with Microsoft that allows them to ship certain DirectX files with the browser to use hardware acceleration. However for legal reasons unless you have your own agreement with Microsoft you cannot ship these DirectX files with your game, except for the dxwebsetup.exe installer (which has the correct EULA agreement and so on). If the DirectX files are missing, node-webkit will not be able to use hardware acceleration. If the user happens to have them installed already (e.g. another game installed dxwebsetup.exe), it will work out of the box, but you can't rely on that being the case.

IMO it's another good reason to go with web publishing: no need to worry about installers, security prompts, waiting for downloads etc - just runs right away from the URL.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley

[quote:1ri0jdyp] IMO it's another good reason to go with web publishing: no need to worry about installers, security prompts, waiting for downloads etc - just runs right away from the URL.

How would that work regarding people selling their games? It may be less of a headache in some ways but how do you publish a game on the net and get people to pay for it? Isnt that why Steam et al are still making good money ?

• Presumably you'd have some sort of payment system if you're selling a standalone game. All you need is instead of distributing the game installer, just give them a login to the web game.

• OK, thanks Ashley for clarifying that. I intend to distribute via itch.io , Desura etc so I am not really interested in web publishing at this stage. If someone pays for a game , they probably won't have an issue in running the dxwebsetup. My concern was more for anyone trying a demo of it (potential customers or press/reviewers) and getting turned off by lack of hardware acceleration.

Are there any installers that you or others would recommend to package up Node Webkit with the dxwebsetup?

• zendorf

There is a list here. I intend to start trying some of the free ones shortly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_installation_software

• We use innosetup for Construct 2 itself and it works great.

• zendorf

I recommend Inno Setup, WiX (Windows Installer XML) or Clickteam Install Creator 2 if you want to package your game.

• Thanks guys, Inno Setup sounds like the winner!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)