Publishing to Ouya with IAP and more is now possible!

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • Hi everyone,

I worked with Tim over at Ouya and I'm happy to report that https://www.ouya.tv/game/Controller-Quest/ is now on Ouya. This is an app designed to help you test any connected Ouya controllers to insure everything is working as it should.

I made this app free but added a donate button to allow people the option to pay if they like. However what is nice is that you have everything working now. You can do IAP either permanent or consumable. I went with a permanent one time $3 donation option. I check when the game loads if that person has made a donation and if they have I tell them how awesome they are and put on a little show in the main menu.

here is a good place to start https://github.com/ouya/docs/blob/maste ... md#setup-1

However beyond IAP, they also have screen resizing to allow you to account for users who might experience overscan issues (my TV does this) even though I didn't bother with it for this app because it wasn't necessary I did test it and it worked.

Full Disclosure, there are some configuration things you may want to do eventually if you're going to do a serious Ouya project. It's not terrible, but once it's setup its really nice.. I'm able to do a build from C2.. as a standard HTML5 game.. then run the batch file and it does all the compiling and pushes the APK to the ouya directly.

Thanks,

Caleb

• Thanks for the info bud

• You bet! I still need to go back and try Bee Active with this new wrapper not just to add IAP, but also performance. I am a little concerned that performance isn't optimal with Chromium, but I don't want to pass judgement till I've done an objective test. Performance isn't "bad" but it feels like the way it's behaving with some of my Donator effects, a heck of a lot more sprites were moving around much faster with the CocoonJS game. We'll see. Also there are likely optimizations that might be explored as well. I think it comes down to how many people in the C2 community take advantage of this. The more people there are interested the more likely we'll see serious effort on Ouya's part to give us more of their time to make things better.

• Just wanted to throw in a thanks to both you (@part12studios) and Tim at OUYA for all the great work you've done on this and the Construct 2 > OUYA workflow.

I've been messing about with OUYA stuff for a while with Construct 2 but nothing serious - just one small free game.

I got the workflow that Tim and yourself have been working on sorted last night, and it was great to see 'proper' OUYA controls and IAP working perfectly. Like you say - a few hoops to jump through, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things and even I managed it!

Looking forward to seeing more OUYA games, from me and other C2 users soon.

• This sounds amazing and helps grow both the C2 and Ouya experience. A few questions since i consider myself a novice as well.

What type of configurations do you refer for serious Ouya project?

Can this handle medium to large scale game? (Big layouts, quests, etc)?

This produces an APK that pushes to Ouya, right?

Could this work as an alternative method for building mobile android games from the same APK?

Thanks in advance!!!

• kraed - I think the configurations that part12studios is talking about is the setting up of your development environment. This involves downloading JDK 7 & JDK 6, apktool and the Android SDK. You then have to do a bit of setting up to get the tools that OUYA have built to work.

As mentioned - it's not too bad, but the step by step does miss some info that I (as a real novice) needed. I could help with a step by step if needed (might do one on my website actually...)

Medium to large games - I've no idea. I'll have more idea about that as I get to the latter stages of my game though.

I guess in theory you may be able to use this as an alternative method to export for mobile - although I'm not sure it brings any advantages over the phonegap method. I don't know for certain on that though... maybe I'll give it a try tonight an see with the C2 space shooter sample project. I'll report back if I do.

• A step by step would be great, highly appreciated.

• Like Grimbarian said, it's mostly following the sdk setups and all that as found in the documentation. the extra little something (that i got walked through, so I haven't memorized) was that when i export my HTML5 project it went something like this:

Initial Setup:

• I would unzip the ouya-sdk-examples-master zip to my desktop (make sure you have the latest, which should be pretty stable now)
    • remove everything but the Construct 2 and HTML5 folders (you need the HTML5 folder!), as there are a lot of other engine folders and such you just don't need..
    • install the plugins, note that you need to overwrite the actual C2 audio and gamepad objects. the ones that C2 provide will not work right. Remember each time you do an update to C2 you have to update the audio and gamepad since they get overwritten by the update.
    • be sure you have adb connect on, on the Ouya
    • If you're doing it over wifi, in the PC cmd area type "adb connect 10.0.1.23" or whatever your IP address is on your Ouya to insure it's connected.

NOTE: There are other configuration steps you need to do for your game specifically that I'm not going to go into here.. but once all that's done so the below steps are what I do once all that other stuff is setup.

• When I export a standard HTML5 project i pointed it to Construct2/Controller_Quest
    • Go over to the HTML5/WebArchive folder and run the 5_install.com script which goes over and grabs my Controller_Quest folder and processed it, signs it builds the apk and then pushes it over to the Ouya either over wifi or MicroUSB cable from PC (wihich is about x3 faster)

I'm not in the PC side of my Mac where all my ouya stuff is configured, but this is just nice stuff to have eventually worked out. It's not necessary to publish to the Ouya, it was just a nice little extra thing to push straight to the Ouya and auto-install. You don't need this though, I used dropbox as a means to sync the apk on the Ouya.

Regarding performance, as soon as I have some time, I wanted to go back and try Bee Active with this system not only to add IAP stuff and such, but also as a benchmark. My initial findings make me think performance is not as good as CocoonJS. So I would advise anyone wanting to try the ouya should do some stress tests, which would be pretty easy to do.

Thanks,

Caleb

• Awesome, Caleb! Thanks a million for posting this.

• You bet, i had a side project of digitizing a bunch of old records that was taking up my ouya test device space.. i'm going to do some testing with it again soon and I'll share more of the specific things needed to push to Ouya over usb/wifi. I am working on some Q3D stuff and I want to test out how well it ports to Ouya.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok so I finally had a little time to do some testing with my first Ouya / C2 game "Bee Active" which was originally published with CocoonJS before it was depreciated. That version ran surprisingly well, however the problem with CJS was that there was no way to do any kind of paid / IAP system.

I was able to get the latest (never released) version of Bee Active for the Ouya using the new Chromium wrapper created by Tim over at Ouya. The result was pretty good, but I am going to talk with him about some optimization exploration.

The most noticeable issue is there are these black lines that popup up now and then. You can see them first hand on Controller Quest, though I let them slide because they didn't happen that often and this is largely because the game simply doesn't have much going on visually. Bee Active, the lines were much more noticeable. The frame rate is still pretty good but I could tell it was simply not as solid as the CJS verison.

So yea if you're doing a very simple game it should be fine, but if you're doing a serious C2 pixel pushing game you may not be in love with it as it is, but don't despair, I know Tim had talked about optimization in the past, we just both got busy with other things once Controller Quest was launched and working.

Also I got a chance to review some of the other tools Tim had me install to help with things and one important tool was "Google Chrome Canary", which honestly I never really utilized and is optional, but basically was good for capturing information. However for the debugging that Tim was doing it was super helpful for him, so anyone who knows this tool, might benefit from it

Also be sure you open up a cmd screen when you run things.. type in "adb logcat" and you will have access to a ton of awesome realtime information.. you can see buttons being pressed and your ouya doing stuff.. very cool.

I also installed a program called "SourceTree" which is where I got the zip command line software. I got very hand held through this so if you get this far and have questions, just post it on the Ouya forums thread and I'm sure Tim will give you a very insightful response on the steps involved.

Other than that everything else you need is on the ouya / construct 2 and html5 sections to get you setup.

Controller Quest has done pretty well. 340 installs in less than a month.. which is over x2 as many installs of bee active which has been live for almost six months.. so it's nice to see people are finding it and hopefully finding it useful.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)