Proposed licensing model

0 favourites
  • I've got one more bit creazy idea... even few. Maybe you could have an add slot whch would be displaying advertisments every 30 minutes in a free verision like free spotify that playes adds every few songs?( I acctualy wonder have anyone cracked free spotify to disable this). Another idea would be just to have adds displayed on program start so user will have to click it in order to start. C2 would have to connect with your servers too to check weather code been modified by cracks or hacks or not. And if it would then it would be automaticaly updateing to original version. And would be good to to have some benefits over hacked versions like some sort of online acces to resources for registered users etc.

• :lol: The model you proposed is a bad one. No new comer will buy C2. It is in it alpha stage right now, you really have no great games to show off the product. It is prone to having bugs with each new up date. I think you should go the Video Ad revenue route along with the closed exporter.

First of all C2 user should have to assign the program to their users account.

So you know if people have payed for the experter or not.

One C2 pogram installed on one pc per user.

For non paying users there should be no exporters at all instead,

Non paying users can could post there games on Scirra gaming site.

This would be like a youtube for games site.

You could put video ads commercial to play before the game start like the videos in youtube.

you could put up html5 code so people link up the game to their web site, or share links to social site like face book, twitter,etc just like youtube dose.

So as people play the game and rate them, you could make best of game page.

Then you could create construct 2 gaming app for google chrome app store where the best games will be featured.

By doing all this you will get more people interested in C2. The people who make game and the people who play then.

If let users decide that their are willing to pay for the exporters (individual ones, or bundle packs) They would have to do it under their user account.

This was you could make money while C2 is in development and when it is out of development.

LOL we just had many of the same ideas at excacly same time

• Wow, replies are coming fast...! Kinda hard to keep up.

If people needed to pay a license for Construct you would lost 60% of them, 35% would crack Construct (DRM free !!! World Of Goo, awesome independant game, DRM free, 9/10 copies are illegal), how much would you earn ? How much would you lose ?

So be it. People who don't want to pay for software won't pay. We can't force them. So long as there are enough people who do pay so that we can sustain full time development, I'm happy.

It's cool, althought maybe you could add an extra year or two to the early version as won't it take some time, like a year or so, before it will be useful enough to make proper games?

I think Construct 2 should reach a useful state well within 2 years if we go fulltime - perhaps we could do either ?40 for 4 years, or ?15 for 2 years, but not both ways, I think we're squeezing ourselves dry to do 4 years for ?15 (?3.75 a year, by which time C2 should be mature). Is that unfair? I think an alpha license (?15, 2 years all upgrades) is fair.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've got one more bit creazy idea... even few. Maybe you could have an add slot whch would be displaying advertisments every 30 minutes in a free verision like free spotify that playes adds every few songs?( I acctualy wonder have anyone cracked free spotify to disable this). Another idea would be just to have adds displayed on program start so user will have to click it in order to start. C2 would have to connect with your servers too to check weather code been modified by cracks or hacks or not. And if it would then it would be automaticaly updateing to original version. And would be good to to have some benefits over hacked versions like some sort of online acces to resources for registered users etc.

That's a great idea. Put some ads in the free version to cover the expenses!

• I know where you coming from Ash, thought person who buys hardly functional alpha would do it only becasue of saving some money themselves, and have to be sure that will be able to use it for some time once its functionality will be compleat. And that's the whole point of selling alpha from customeer point of few. From you're point of few you should give a bonus to people who are willing to pay for unfinished product and who trust you that one day it will be fully functional so they can use it at least for some time before they will have to pay the standard fee. You could even go with 19.99 but with 3 years subscribtion for alpha. If you would tell me now that there is going to be some sort of bonus for people who buy alpha, i would ask you for your bank details straight away

Editkqa@Yeah lucid, online arcade is a defo must, and c2 should have a button 'publish online' which would automaticaly exporting to 'scirra arcade' . And acctualy that could be the only way of exporting in free version: straight to your website where there would be adds.

Edit 2@ where did lucids latest post gone?!?!?

• I think judging by the response to 2 years, and who is fine with it and who isn't. if I had never heard of construct I'd find it very unattractive, too. I think it's just because I'm a loyal scirra guy who wants to see you guys succeed that I'm fine with it.

you're going to need a steady stream of newcomers to make it profitable. plus if you can use it for free with a simple nag as a deterrent, well for examplt..I forgot winrar was shareware. the people aren't paying for upgrades, those are free. you're paying to stop being nagged. people will just wait until they are ready to publish a full game to pay. there won't be many. you need to make money off the people who will never finish a game, too.

give out html in the free version, plug nag, plus ads, plus scirra arcade with ad support there, too. get rid of nags and ads for a cheap price

charge for exporters. I think it's a more user acceptable way, and also, a great way to have people continue to pay for it. After a crapload of initial awesome plugs, profitshare to host usermade plugins on scirra. in c1 for example, with just 3 or 4 users making plugs, I probably would have bought a better version of spritefont, custom controls, the camera plug, definitely perlin noise, and s, and probably the ik plug back before s came out. if you made just one dollar off of each sale that'd be 5 from me. you said there have been 200,000 downloads? imagine if half those people bought 5 plugs. that'd be 500,000$

oh yeah, and up the tiered license system. don't sell yourself short. if c2 had been out now for years already, angry birds, doodle jump, xxxxxxxxxx, and a crapload of other awesomely selling indie games wouldv probably been made in c2. make the multitiered license go up, like $10,000 in sales is the $150, $100,000 is a $500 license, and over $500,000 is the $2000. I guess that would be a company wide license with added per seat licenses for each running copy.

those games and users will be rare especially at first, but the whole idea of this is that c2 is good. they will come eventually and even one of the $100,000 would be worth over 10 normal users, not to mention whatever plugins, and exporters they bought.

in 4 years instead of having everyone just pay for the same program again, eventually it will be stable, and you'll have time to just release a boatload of new plugins, exporters, etc, all at the same time, and charge for this new bundle.

edit: sorry megatron, I reread my previous post, and got bored halfway through so I reworded it

• As someone who studied online business revenue models.

I can tell you that what me, megatronx, and lucid posted so far

could bring you a great number of gamers and creators.

Scirra could be seen as a social gaming networking site.

The profitability could be endless.

• I think Lucid is on to something with just about everything he said... I REALLY like the idea of paying for extra plugins, etc. Great way to keep income coming in and interest in the project.

Kinda like the old salesman tactic. Once you get somebody to buy, then you offer them just a little more for a few bucks, and then a little more... and before they know it they have paid double what they would have originally spent. Not that you are trying to trick anybody, but it is a logically way to keep revenue coming for those interested in the project as well as get the baseline money for those that want to just buy it once without nags/ads, etc.

Edit: Second what toralord said...their ideas sound ALOT better than what was orginally proposed.

• Thanks

In regards to selling extensions or plugins i've got mixed fillings. But if it would be me I would offer things I would called MODULES - starters that would be packedges of plugins with ready to go engines ( that eventualy could work together ) like rpg engine, action adventure engine, platform engine etc that would be tweakable. This would speed up the whole proces of making games if someone would either like to make things go fast or if someone would be a bigginer but would want to make something a little more serious. Would sell them �20 ( or whatever it's worth) each inckluding free patches. Eventualy i would be releasing extensions for those to buy and later on a new versions and so on.

And maybe those kind of packedges would lure beginners too like they've been lured to programs like rpg maker, which would be an extra advantage.

• As someone who studied online business revenue models.

I can tell you that what me, megatronx, and lucid posted so far

could bring you a great number of gamers and creators.

And we not even being paid for it just jokeing

• Thanks

In regards to selling extensions or plugins i've got mixed fillings. But if it would be me I would offer things I would called MODULES - starters that would be packedges of plugins with ready to go engines ( that eventualy could work together ) like rpg engine, action adventure engine, platform engine etc that would be tweakable. This would speed up the whole proces of making games if someone would either like to make things go fast or if someone would be a bigginer but would want to make something a little more serious. Would sell them ?20 ( or whatever it's worth) each inckluding free patches. Eventualy i would be releasing extensions for those to buy and later on a new versions and so on.

And maybe those kind of packedges would lure beginners too like they've been lured to programs like rpg maker, which would be an extra advantage.

So a template for game genres.

I don't know about that, I think some thing like that should be free.

Like a proof of concept sort of thing.

That way you get new comers excited about making games with C2.

• nah, I think pretty much the same basic assortment of c1 plugins should be included free

then the revenue sharing model, and maybe more plugs after all the basics are covered. but I don't think it should be split down to genres and such. the idea would be that it's complete when you buy it. and you're paying to enhance it, and for icing on the cake. it'd be very annoying to pay for any of the included c1 plugins. except for ones that came later, like panel, or custom movement. maybe a more userfriendly sprite ribbon plug. the original ones, including box2d would be worth paying extra for, but the fact they would all be included would make the product uberawesome and a great deal to begin with.

• Since we're on the subject of business models.

http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html

With an emphasis on number 6.

• The free version sounds too good to me, seems like everyone will just use that.

• Since we're on the subject of business models.

http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html

With an emphasis on number 6.

Where is the part about keep you search results info and selling it to company.

Thay are .

The free version sounds too good to me, seems like everyone will just use that.

[quote:20clg9pi]For non paying users there should be no exporters at all instead,

Non paying users can could post there games on Scirra gaming site.

This would be like a youtube for games site.

You could put video ads commercial to play before the game start like the videos in youtube.

you could put up html5 code so people link up the game to their web site, or share links to social site like face book, twitter,etc just like youtube dose.

So as people play the game and rate them, you could make best of game page.

Then you could create construct 2 gaming app for google chrome app store where the best games will be featured.

At first maybe but with no exporters other then posting it on Scirra site.

the scirra team would have a constant stream of revenue from commercial ads.

and people who would like to make money of of there game could buy exporters.

that is why I said that [quote:20clg9pi]This was you could make money while C2 is in development and when it is out of development.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)