OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • Alomost 3 million :O With 28 days to go this could reach 10, 20 million or more easilly. Most successful project i've seen on kickstarter for sure. With this they're asking what enhancements people wish to the project. Better specs is one for sure :D Really with that money they've got total freedom.

• Damn I'm so excited about this. The wait will be a killer. I will probably pledge as well.

• Aaaaand the other side:

gamasutra.com/blogs/IanFisch/20120711/173901/OUYA_the_Android_console_Scam_or_just_naivette.php

Main concern is the 4.0 leash, mobile games move much faster than console.

• Aaaaand the other side:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IanFisch/20120711/173901/OUYA_the_Android_console_Scam_or_just_naivette.php

Main concern is the 4.0 leash, mobile games move much faster than console.

You have to remember "bad news is good news" the media loves to make things look bad to gain attention and MONEY.

I can still play the N64 the Wii Snes whatever I love games, I dont care for graphics all the time. Unless its Crysis or Uncharted etc.

• A better idea would be to make a dock with a hard drive and wireless receiver for your games and controllers respectively. Plug in your Android device and harness it's processing power. The doc checks the specs of your phone versus the specs of your game to tell you if you can play it or not.

Somebody do it.

• Well i think their business plans is much more than just bringing android games to the tv. It's the only justification for something like this. If not it makes no sense. There's already at last one or two android phone-to-gamepad-to-tv solutions. It seems most people want to play with game pads games that make sense playing on gamepads. Me included. 99% of the time playing with a game pad is much more fun than with touch screens imo. Touch screens are great for interface manipulation, navigation, etc. There are very few games that really are touch based and fun. Emulating D-Pads and Buttons on the screen is a joke;

• Emulating D-Pads and Buttons on the screen is a joke;

Tell me about it. I tried playing Megaman 2 on my friends iPhone. It was terrible.

I think people get a bit too hung up on the Android thing and instantly go "Android = Tablets".

People ask "why not just plug in a controller into a pc/tablet and that into the tv". To that I'll say this. The average user won't go that far, period.

• Exactly.

It's near to impossible playing games like Megaman, specially with it's level of difficulty. And yeah why limit Android for phones and tablets ?! Phones and Tablets can't just replace the old and perfect experience of playing in a gamepad in front of a tv or in a keyboard on pc. People tend to try to replace everything with a technology just because it's new , hype and 'revolutionary'. If it makes everything obsolete , which isn't the case, then ok. If not then it's a big mistake to try. Phones and Tablets are here to add to the playing experience not replace it all.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Phones and Tablets can't just replace the old and perfect experience of playing in a gamepad in front of a tv or in a keyboard on pc. People tend to try to replace everything with a technology just because it's new , hype and 'revolutionary'. If it makes everything obsolete , which isn't the case, then ok. If not then it's a big mistake to try. Phones and Tablets are here to add to the playing experience not replace it all.

Quoted for truth.

• The only attractive thing about this is the price, in my opinion.

But I still would rather get a android phone with HDMI-OUT and play on my TV using bluetooth joysticks (like the Wii or the PS3). I might get a Motorola Atrix by the end of the year and do just that.

• I think the big difference between this and just 'being able to' do the same thing with a tablet is the same as all consoles and their horrible specs, but somehow decent looking games. Developers will know the exact specs of the target machine. They will know that every user has this exact controller. This will allow you to squeeze every last inch of power out of the system without worrying about people with less powerful tablets and phones. Tablets of that caliber are in the $400 range. And obviously without something like the OUYA, making an android game at this time under the assumption that your userbase will be using a controller is silly.

The graphics of the tegra 3 are easily beyond the current wii:

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNxbbJgSMQ&feature=related[/tube]

The extremely low price combined with just 1 or 2 killer apps could just be enough to make this a viable platform worthy of both developers' and gamers' time. I definitely think they should beef up the specs, just to make it that much more appealing. Hopefully the insane amount that they'll end up exceeding their goal will help them to work out some type of deal with a hardware distributor or manufacturer to keep the price in that range with something a little more exciting hardware-wise, not to mention some much needed advertising.

In any case. I've been completely bored and frustrated by the state of current consoles. I think the outpouring of support is indicative that I'm not alone - and maybe the industry is ripe for a new contender.

• About the Gamasutra article i can only say: Never write "Why X will fail" articles. But "Why X failed" or "Why X was a success" instead. It's MUCH more constructive (future prediction smartass articles serves not purpose other than raising flamewars and meaningless discussions). I hate, hate "Why X will fail" articles and people that write them. There said it :D

• About the Gamasutra article i can only say: Never write "Why X will fail" articles. But "Why X failed" or "Why X was a success" instead. It's MUCH more constructive (future prediction smartass articles serves not purpose other than raising flamewars and meaningless discussions). I hate, hate "Why X will fail" articles and people that write them. There said it :D

Yup. People who write these kind of "predictions" are morons. Plus he/she kinda missed the point of this whole project. I guess a project that raised such money in such a short time will cause hate speech.

• I dont think them sayin "hey donate 95$+ and get one of the first consoles" is really the same as them sayin "hey once the console is being mass produced itll be 99$!!!"

Could it mean that? sure! I dunno Im not them. The way I see it tho they were lookin for ways to get ppl to pledge money. They had no clue how much they were gonna raise if any. So that was a logical inclusion at a good price.

Once this is all over and you can goto a local retailer and pick up a shiny new OUYA it may cost closer to 200$ no one can say yet

As for the graphics. Its a console. Like others have said the exact specs are nailed down that means every dev knows exactly what theyre workin with. The prime example of how this plays out is the ps2. Look at the launch titles and then look at some of the last games made for it. Leaps and bounds for the most part.

It happens with every console. Hell even look at some of the really late NES games as an example. The ps2 is really the prime example tho.

• Some morons are saying : This will never succeed with some few million dollars ! These dumbs don't realize that the kickstarter campaign main objective is to analyze the demand for the product so that the surelly many investors can then inject the real money on the project. By now i'm sure they have a good enough view of the product demand :) It could yet fail terribly or win spetacularly. No one can know for sure.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)