Organizing the Projects tab's contents...

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Hello all,

I have nothing but praise for Construct 2, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had an experience similar to mine concerning the projects tab.

When I'm organizing items into folders or categories, I instinctively want to CTRL + click in order to select multiple items, especially if I'm organizing in folders I've just made (Level 3, Boss #2, etc). I understand if the program's coding doesn't allow for multiple selection. But the projects tab doesn't spread horizontally in any of its available views, so I'm dragging one item at a time to the desired folder, waiting for the projects tab to pan up and down each time as I do, since its height is limited to the height of your monitor's resolution.

I haven't come across any sort of plugin that would allow for this sort of feature, but when a project gets a little complicated with so many different objects, trying to navigate the projects tab can be a little confusing to me. I suppose the best options is to simply collapse all folders you're not working with so that you can see most or all of the projects tab at any time.

Anyone else also have this experience? If there's no solution currently in place, would anyone else feel that it would make a nice addition to C3?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • As far as I know it have always been like that in C2 and from what I recall have been wanted by users for a very long time. So I wouldn't count of it getting into C2, maybe C3.

The best thing to do, I think, is to "think before doing" not meant in a negative way, but when you plan a project and you for instant think its time to add enemies. Then the first thing you do is to think project organisation, so you create the folder structure you need, then you create the enemy objects and what you need for them to work (sprites, text etc) and then when you think you are done with them, you drag them to enemy folder. And then you can start with the next thing. If you need to add a lot of the same type of objects, for instant sprites, then you drag the first sprite to the folder and clone it rather than add them through the menu, then it will automatically be added to the folder.

• +1 definatly, and i think i have suggested this already as i experience the same thing, but i believe its again a matter of limitations in the editor. the only thing you can do i maximizing you projecttab height, and start dividing them in folder you can see

edit, yes also good tip Nimos

• As far as I know it have always been like that in C2 and from what I recall have been wanted by users for a very long time. So I wouldn't count of it getting into C2, maybe C3.

The best thing to do, I think, is to "think before doing" not meant in a negative way, but when you plan a project and you for instant think its time to add enemies. Then the first thing you do is to think project organisation, so you create the folder structure you need, then you create the enemy objects and what you need for them to work (sprites, text etc) and then when you think you are done with them, you drag them to enemy folder. And then you can start with the next thing. If you need to add a lot of the same type of objects, for instant sprites, then you drag the first sprite to the folder and clone it rather than add them through the menu, then it will automatically be added to the folder.

This is the habit that I've started trying to get into. You're right about planning before acting here! I think from now on I'm going to make "dummy" sprites as the first object in each folder and then whenever I want to make a new object I'll be forced to clone from the dummy directly into an existing folder, rather than uncategorized and piling up at the bottom of the projects tab :-p

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)