Opera Unite's Web Server App. and hosting games?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily add web monetization to your game and start earning money from supporting visitors.
  • Well, this has worked for me so far. But I wanna know what are the downfalls? Cos I know there is. I successfully hosted a small HMTL5 app. from my computer directly, through Opera's Web Server app.. But what are the issues that may arise from this practice?

EDIT: If link is down, it's cos my computer it's off.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • EDIT: If link is down, it's cos my computer it's off.

I think you might have answered your own question here.

• Having your site go down when you turn your computer off is a pretty big downfall!

And if you're running a server from your own computer, most ISPs have conditions saying you're not allowed to use your computer as a server, so they may end up blocking your connection as well. Hosting is really cheap, TBH it's best just to get a cheap paid host, there's a lot of benefit to that.

• You can use a free hosting service too, or, as stated by Ashley, get some cheap ones (there's some costing 1$/mo).

Of course you have to remember that you always get what you've paid for.

I suggest you to check webhostingtalk.com or hosthideout.com to find some hosting offers/reviews. They are really good boards.

This "Opera Unite's Server App" seems like a standard webserver, like Apache and IIS. If you want to host in your home, forget about this and get Apache, create a no-ip.org account, bound the domain to your IPaddress and voi-la! =P

• Well, I have another computer which is always on. This was just a test to see what were the downfalls. I see that the most problematic it's my ISP's rules, which I'm gonna have to find out. How would my ISP know that I am using my computer as a server though? I have done it a lot before to share files.

• Your ISP will know only if you are using up a lot of bandwidth. This will send up a read flag to them. Most ISP's limit the amount of bandwidth you can use per month. So If you were getting a lot of traffic to your site it would eat up all your bandwidth, then your visitors would be unable to connect. Also once you use up your monthly bandwidth your internet speed will be slower than dial up.   

Cassianno is right though if you want to host your own site get a Apache, WAMP, or XAMPP and create a no-ip account, and bound the domain to your IPaddress.

If you do this though you will need to port forward port 80 on your router since Apache runs on port 80. Here is some info on port forwarding portforward.com. Just find your router in there list, and follow there guide.

Some ISP's block port 80 though like mine does. So if yours does you will have to do a port 80 redirect. Here is a tutorial on how to do a port 80 redirect:

So your ISP has decided to block port 80?

If your going to host a MMO you might have to forward additional ports depending on how you build your server.

I use to run a quite large World of Warcraft private server so I have some experience with this. When I first started, hosting from home worked just fine for about 100 players or less online at the same time. But once we started averaging 1000 players online 24/7 my ISP figured it out so I rented a VPS for $40 per month. That only lasted one month because we had grown to averaging over 7000 players online 24/7. After that I we had to rent a PS for about $175 per month.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

O'ya I almost forgot to mention another downside to hosting your own site is that you will be a target for skiddies (script kiddies). They love to practice hacking on self hosted sites. Lots of vulnerabilities unless you really know what your doing. So always back up your server or site to someplace other than your hosting PC.

• Your ISP will know only if you are using up a lot of bandwidth. This will send up a read flag to them. Most ISP's limit the amount of bandwidth you can use per month. So If you were getting a lot of traffic to your site it would eat up all your bandwidth, then your visitors would be unable to connect. Also once you use up your monthly bandwidth your internet speed will be slower than dial up.   

Cassianno is right though if you want to host your own site get a Apache, WAMP, or XAMPP and create a no-ip account, and bound the domain to your IPaddress.

If you do this though you will need to port forward port 80 on your router since Apache runs on port 80. Here is some info on port forwarding portforward.com. Just find your router in there list, and follow there guide.

Some ISP's block port 80 though like mine does. So if yours does you will have to do a port 80 redirect. Here is a tutorial on how to do a port 80 redirect:

So your ISP has decided to block port 80?

If your going to host a MMO you might have to forward additional ports depending on how you build your server.

I use to run a quite large World of Warcraft private server so I have some experience with this. When I first started, hosting from home worked just fine for about 100 players or less online at the same time. But once we started averaging 1000 players online 24/7 my ISP figured it out so I rented a VPS for $40 per month. That only lasted one month because we had grown to averaging over 7000 players online 24/7. After that I we had to rent a PS for about $175 per month.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

My ISP is Comcast, and I have no idea how to know if my bandwidth is limited. But I download pretty heavy stuff that friends send me. Some stuff are really heavy and this is regularly. I also send heavy files back as a server. Average of files are like 6GB per file, but not limited at all. A 7GB file downloads in 40 to 50 minutes on my connection, so it's relatively fast. I never had Comcast warn or anything. I have no idea how much a game does send per user on average but I doubt it's 7GB daily.

I have Apache already and I know how to port forward and stuff like that, I also know for sure my port 80 isn't blocked. I've also had a no-ip account before but let it die. Opera's server seemed much easier to and that's why I hoped it would work, but I guess it's not fit to host a game.

I'm not trying to host an MMO, it's just an HMTL5, an RPG, but it's single player. I was never very content with Apache's way of doing things, I will give those you mentioned a try and see how they work.

Thank you all very much for yer help.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)