NW0.13.alpha5 Testing Report **Alpha6 Works!!**

0 favourites
  • Right i found deleting the NWjs behavior allows my project to run now.. but local storage isnt working as it should, as mentioned by Silverforce.

Thats a real shame.

Good catch.

In the bugs section, I reported my exports worked but reading this, I realize I hadn't added NW.js to my project. When I did - black screen.

• You mention that save games doesn't carry over, but does a save/load performed on the NW still work? Great news about the stutter and memory issues. All that's needed now is getting it up and running in a presentable state by february and I can rest easy for the release!

• You mention that save games doesn't carry over, but does a save/load performed on the NW still work? Great news about the stutter and memory issues. All that's needed now is getting it up and running in a presentable state by february and I can rest easy for the release!

You can save and load for the session only. As soon as you exit and start again, it generates a new "temporary" folder in the IndexedDB folder where savestates are stored. It shouldn't be doing that.

ATM its good for a demo, if you load your assets on the layout or have "on destroyed outside of layout", it will pre-load all the assets for that layout on startup, and it will be butter smooth from then on for hours without memory bloating.

I'm back on NW 0.10.5 for now because I'm play testing my game in its final phase, game-balance. Without the save working, it'll just be a waste of time playing with 0.13.a5.

If this isn't sorted by mid-December, I'm screwed because then I would have to launch with NW10.5 for Steam due to functional save-state. But that means I cannot upgrade to newer C2 (Scirra is dropping NW export support for older NW.js versions) or new NW versions due to save-state non-carryover.

• can't you delay your release a bit? Releasing on a deprecated version like 10.5 sounds like a.. bad idea.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I released in Early Access, so savegame not carried over isn't an issue, players know the game is in development. But if Silver is releasing in full version then i would suggest to delay a bit.

• I released in Early Access, so savegame not carried over isn't an issue, players know the game is in development. But if Silver is releasing in full version then i would suggest to delay a bit.

Yeah it's a good idea, but if I release in EA, there would be a strong expectation of a lot more content added before release and honestly the game is finished as is, I'm just balancing gameplay currently.

Here's hoping these bugs are sorted out within a month.

Eisenhans

A lot is riding on this game (quit work, gamedev full-time), I knew it when I set out to build it. The deadline was this December.

This is why I truly hope C3 would eventually have a native export. We rely too much on the whims of 3rd party wrappers. I just want the normal reliance on Drivers & Engine to cooperate. Here we got the middle-man Chromium that just tries to Seppuku everyone all the time.

• [quote:x924j852]A lot is riding on this game (quit work, gamedev full-time),

Wow...that takes balls though. As much as i would like to do that...just can't do right now.

• Well, I hope they fix these bugs in time, so you can release it as intended. I wish good luck for your project!

• Eisenhans

A lot is riding on this game (quit work, gamedev full-time), I knew it when I set out to build it. The deadline was this December.

Ouch.

Well, I hope it works out for you.

[quote:1d63e1yf]This is why I truly hope C3 would eventually have a native export. We rely too much on the whims of 3rd party wrappers. I just want the normal reliance on Drivers & Engine to cooperate. Here we got the middle-man Chromium that just tries to Seppuku everyone all the time.

So far all postings regarding this point in the opposite direction. No custom "native" runtime, but staying with HTML5/browsers/DOM.

• Might be a good opportunity to do marketing work ahead of launch. Launching a game without any awareness or hype can be devestating.

• Here's hoping these bugs are sorted out within a month.

Eisenhans

This is why I truly hope C3 would eventually have a native export. We rely too much on the whims of 3rd party wrappers. I just want the normal reliance on Drivers & Engine to cooperate. Here we got the middle-man Chromium that just tries to Seppuku everyone all the time.

Ouch! Really hoping it works out for you but I don't expect Scirra to be able to do too much themselves.

Node-Webkit (and Chrome) is constantly holding Construct 2 users hostage every other update so far. We were lucky to get something that (barely) works and stick with it (R192 and NW 10.5) for Windows at the cost of losing console and other OS export functionality, but it's also why our future commercial titles will be using another engine.

Construct 3 would be really amazing as a plugin (level editor, object editor, code editor) that can be used by other engines that develop their own exporters/native export with much greater numbers of staff to deal with the nitty-gritty issues.

• So far all postings regarding this point in the opposite direction. No custom "native" runtime, but staying with HTML5/browsers/DOM.

Yeah it's a shame, I hope it all works out with Chromium no longer full of major crippling bugs for C3 to really shine. If I still survive as a gamedev then and the situation is still crap, I'll have to put all my effort to transitioning to Unity.

Jayjay

I understand the concern, not being able to export to console is losing out on a massive market. Its hard to make a smash hit on any one platform, so a more realistic aim is to develop a single game that can ship for XBone, PS4, PC, MAC, Linux smoothly, so that the lower sales on individual platforms combine to create a good income. Also, PC gamers are fickle and it may be that the game we want to make simply do not appeal to that crowd (example The Next Penelope & Airscape), and would work much better on consoles. I can see this factor along as being a major drawback of C2 and it's something C3 should focus upon.

Tinimations

That's why I wanted to launch early next month, I've got a few streamers/youtube players who want to play it and I planned to give them some time to create the content and showcase before the launch later. I've told them all the ETA already. But I can't get these guys to play a broken game.

glerikud

Well the sooner its fixed, the better for all of us who have been plagued with these issues for such a long time due to how messed up Chromium has been.

• I understand Ashley strategy and to be honest it does make sense with the amount of resources available to focus on something that can give multiplatform support without having to write different engines, and also have a very good editor to support game creation.

On the other side though I consider Html5 just another platform, like another console, that should not necessarily aspire to be compatible with everything.

Just like there are limitations right now to design a mobile game in C2 that the developers needs to take into account, the same could be said for a native engine and the multi platform incompatibilities. It is the developer job to know those limitations and either design for it or try to work around it. Don't have a 27.1 audio engine on ps4? Handle it with different assets or design your game against the minimum common denominator!

To bring an example to the table, Clickteam Fusion, does not have console support, but a few people actually made a fully native runtime for it. Yes, it does not support all of the objects and extension that Fusion has, but it works! And it lets people publish their game on consoles and other platforms.

http://mp2.dk/chowdren/

• Gianmichele

Yes, most of us understand why C2 is the way it is, especially due to the smaller size of the team involved compared to the major indie engines out there. Scirra can't be compared to Epic Games or Unity due to the scope of personnel and resources.

Hopefully by the time C3 is out, HTML5 is supported on Xbone/PS4 too and at the least, Chromium isn't a buggy mess.

• Don't work for me either.

I've tried with my game, Perry World (will maintain the game back in some quarter of 2016), I've add the "Request fullscreen" action to the loader layout, but it doesn't trigger.

Also, like what told, the local storage was buggy. It saves to IndexedDB instead of Local Storage.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)