My game doesn't like being recorded

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hey,

A few days ago, I discovered that amazing effect by chrisbrobs (I love you dude) : effect-direction-motion-blur_t166595

This amazed me and bugged me at the same time. Indeed, this effect was published on January 7th 2016, and it happens that just before that, I spent like all my christmas holidays making this effect using the Paster plugin. My version was very hard to use, CPU consuming, a bit ugly, quite buggy, and only applied to the character. The new effect is way better, a lot smoother, super easy to use, and can be applied to objects AND layers. Which is amazing. However, here comes the problem.

In my happiness, I decided to record that and share it on my Youtube channel ( a very small channel where I upload things with no particular rule or order), and here is the video:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

As you can see, when I'm recording, the game runs at 12 to 18 FPS. When I'm not recording however, it runs at 55 to 60 FPS. And that's a HUGE problem. I need to have smooth footage of my game if I want to show it, make a trailer and stuff.

Is there any way I can fix this?

• you computer isnt powerful enough to both screen capture AND play the game at the same time? Old laptop?

try on a more powerful computer

also try capturing at a smaller resolution. play the game in a window

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, I do have a laptop, yes, but it's really powerful. I was able to record a 30mn Overwatch gameplay at 1080P60FPS with no problem at all.

I'll see if it has anything to do with my processor being lazy.

I tried capturing the game with lower resolutions, and it does not help a lot. I guess it has to do with the fact that the game and the recording software may be using the same thread.

• Have you tried a different recording program?

I use this one for quick captures

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/vclip/

read the part about if you are using windows 10 with it for optimum performance.

• 2D games tend to be more CPU heavy... not always, but tend to be. 3D games rely a lot more on GPU specifics... this is likely why you can record something like Overwatch with minimal fps impact.

It really comes down to over-all CPU usage in your game - because your capture software will also use a bit of CPU as well as HDD I/O.

~Sol

• Yeah, I know. Just to try, I recorded like 5mn of Limbo, and it does the same thing. Framerate drops a lot. I just verified, and it happens that I didn't have the Asus Power4Gear technology installed (I formatted a while ago, and forgot to reinstall it). Now it runs more at 30 FPS, which is a lot more acceptable as I can always speed up the footage a little to simulate my 60 FPS. But yeah, it happens that if I have a 2D Game AND a recording software running, my CPU will have a really bad time:

I'll see if I find any method to use less of my CPU when doing both.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)