Music for my game?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
6 looping tracks to use in your games and projects. These tracks are in the style of the 1960s detective movie genre.
  • I was just wondering if anyone who has music creating talent, can make music for my game? It's kind of hard to find the right type of music through youtube :P.

• In most cases, people are going to charge you money to make it for you from scratch. It is typically a price per minute of produced music. Some may be willing to do it for free, but, and no offence to anyone who does, there is often a degradation of quality involved when things drop down to free.

If you're offering contract work for music, though, check out my most recent demo reel in my signature to see if there's any style in there that fits your needs!

• It's kind of hard to find the right type of music through youtube :P.

I hope you don't want to release games with music from YouTube ? The most one there are licensed!

And for your question, we have an extra section forHelp Wanted requests.

If I need some prototyp sounds I search there.

• ...there is often a degradation of quality involved when things drop down to free.I strongly disagree! The quality of music doesn't measure in $$

Unless you don't really mean the music but the technical aspects like mastering in a cost intensive studio or producing the music with live orchestras, live choirs, etc.

But, as I said, that has nothing to do with the quality of music. (Btw., I've heard a lot of demos from composers charging, that are of bad technical quality as well)

I don't see why a composition of a talented guy who can't afford the next $2000 orchestra library for his sampler should be of any lesser quality than a composition from a talented guy who can afford it.

•    

> ...there is often a degradation of quality involved when things drop down to free.I strongly disagree! The quality of music doesn't measure in $$

Unless you don't really mean the music but the technical aspects like mastering in a cost intensive studio or producing the music with live orchestras, live choirs, etc.

But, as I said, that has nothing to do with the quality of music. (Btw., I've heard a lot of demos from composers charging, that are of bad technical quality as well)

I don't see why a composition of a talented guy who can't afford the next $2000 orchestra library for his sampler should be of any lesser quality than a composition from a talented guy who can afford it.

I'm talking about a finished audio product. The technical aspects, sound quality, and samples or live instrument recordings are very often degraded when the composer is making no income from their work. Compositional ability is only (a large) part of the puzzle. If you want great, atmospheric orchestral music, but your composer can't give you a finished product that sounds even somewhat convincing, then it is irrelevant how intricate his/her scoring is. Tons of composers write primarily by hand on paper and create some fantastic pieces. But that is useless for a game unless someone shells out for a nice recording or uses sample libraries to produce the results. And of course there are exceptions, but good luck trying to get someone to make 20 minutes of music for your game for free with no per-minute dollar amount or revenue split options and still have them give the project the attention it needs. Mods can get away with it--they are largely for portfolio building, but if you intend to make any income from your game, but you want someone to custom-build your resources for free for you, then I would question that person's integrity as well.

• You can find some great free music on Open Game Art, ccMixter, and jamendo.

On jamendo be sure to click Advanced and select a license that works with what you're doing.

You will probably have to dig through a lot of music that doesn't fit your needs, but there's great, free music out there.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm talking about a finished audio product. The technical aspects, sound quality, and samples or live instrument recordings are very often degraded when the composer is making no income from their work. Compositional ability is only (a large) part of the puzzle. If you want great, atmospheric orchestral music, but your composer can't give you a finished product that sounds even somewhat convincing, then it is irrelevant how intricate his/her scoring is. Tons of composers write primarily by hand on paper and create some fantastic pieces. But that is useless for a game unless someone shells out for a nice recording or uses sample libraries to produce the results. And of course there are exceptions, but good luck trying to get someone to make 20 minutes of music for your game for free with no per-minute dollar amount or revenue split options and still have them give the project the attention it needs. Mods can get away with it--they are largely for portfolio building, but if you intend to make any income from your game, but you want someone to custom-build your resources for free for you, then I would question that person's integrity as well.I see what you mean (and did so before, as you can read from my first answer), but I still don't agree.

If someone is looking for an orchestral score, he has to search for someone being able to produce it. If that person does it for free or charges is not a factor then - it is the result from the search.

Also, you're not going to Hyundai if you want a Ferrari.

Not paying for the game's audio when making income from it surely is some mean behavior, shows bad moral and character of the game's creators. But it doesn't qualify the audio product.

There are so many talented composers who just start. Of course they offer a lot for free, since they have to establish their reputation.

And on the indie market additionally there's a weird sick group of people, called idealists.

Finally, do you realize that you just depreciated all the great musicians from the past of computer gaming? Their music was never produced but instead played 'live' by the computer/console while the game ran.

Subscribe to Construct videos now

What makes their music (done for and used in games) of any lesser quality?

I keep the point that money doesn't make good music.

• > I'm talking about a finished audio product. The technical aspects, sound quality, and samples or live instrument recordings are very often degraded when the composer is making no income from their work. Compositional ability is only (a large) part of the puzzle. If you want great, atmospheric orchestral music, but your composer can't give you a finished product that sounds even somewhat convincing, then it is irrelevant how intricate his/her scoring is. Tons of composers write primarily by hand on paper and create some fantastic pieces. But that is useless for a game unless someone shells out for a nice recording or uses sample libraries to produce the results. And of course there are exceptions, but good luck trying to get someone to make 20 minutes of music for your game for free with no per-minute dollar amount or revenue split options and still have them give the project the attention it needs. Mods can get away with it--they are largely for portfolio building, but if you intend to make any income from your game, but you want someone to custom-build your resources for free for you, then I would question that person's integrity as well.I see what you mean (and did so before, as you can read from my first answer), but I still don't agree.

If someone is looking for an orchestral score, he has to search for someone being able to produce it. If that person does it for free or charges is not a factor then - it is the result from the search.

Also, you're not going to Hyundai if you want a Ferrari.

Not paying for the game's audio when making income from it surely is some mean behavior, shows bad moral and character of the game's creators. But it doesn't qualify the audio product.

There are so many talented composers who just start. Of course they offer a lot for free, since they have to establish their reputation.

And on the indie market additionally there's a weird sick group of people, called idealists.

Finally, do you realize that you just depreciated all the great musicians from the past of computer gaming? Their music was never produced but instead played 'live' by the computer/console while the game ran.

What makes their music (done for and used in games) of any lesser quality?

I keep the point that money doesn't make good music.

They all created a finished, usable product. Whether it is MIDI or not is irrelevant. The current standard is often either finished audio or highly customized MIDI renditions. I simply stated that a composer who can't give you a finished usable product is probably not the composer you want for your game.

And maybe I misjudged the OP's intentions, but it sounds like he wants audio files to place in and use in his game. He also seemed to be asking for custom music. The technical aspects of the music would be crucial at that point, then. I would hope any composer someone got on board would be at least competent at writing, but many (and many free acts, especially) don't have both sides of the production cycle down.

I never said money makes good music, but it sure as heck helps.

• I never said money makes good music, but it sure as heck helps.

it helps big time! I have a team working for free atm, I would love paying them and the good thing with paying is that you can put pressure on them, right now I can't, I have to sit nicely and go more or less by their rules, happily I have a great team who wants to work, which helps =) but money would also make them more involved with the project =)

• Can someone close this topic, I'm not really getting any help, lol. I'll just have to use music from other games in my place. But thanks, anyways.

• also open.commonly.cc

You should also go through the Tools and Resources section along with the Help Wanted. Both I have seen composers offer there current music for free, but on occasion will offer a new piece.

good luck

• Hi,

I've got some music you can use completely for free.

You can find it on my website: http://www.alienatmospheres.co.uk/music

Here I aim to provide high quality music for use in games, apps or movies. Some of it is totally free, all I ask is for a credit in your finished item. Some of the music is licensable for a small fee through the audiojungle website.

Let me know what you think.

Hope you find it useful.

• Money doesn't make good music, but the more time u have for it, the better it will be, and time is money.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)