Multiplayer Limitations

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • I had an idea of expanding my RPG into an MMO. Before I even consider the Multiplayer feature, what are it's limitations? Could I restrict users to 1,000 player rooms? Could I treat each map as it's own "room" that the user would need to connect to? Is there support for using a professional server host or will I be limited to users being the hosts and relying on the Scirra ping server? Is the Multiplayer feature expandable through Javascript or Plugins?

Thank You,

• Do not use multiplayer for big games.

use socket.io plugin and nodejs server and then you can do anything you want

• I had an idea of expanding my RPG into an MMO. Before I even consider the Multiplayer feature, what are it's limitations? Could I restrict users to 1,000 player rooms? Could I treat each map as it's own "room" that the user would need to connect to? Is there support for using a professional server host or will I be limited to users being the hosts and relying on the Scirra ping server? Is the Multiplayer feature expandable through Javascript or Plugins?

Thank You,

There is a max of 256 WebRTC connections in your browser.

You could indeed make a map a room, and have players connect to that.

I have been working on a MMO game, where buildings and locations are rooms, that works perfectly fine once you get around the issue of "when the host leaves".

Scirra offers it's own signalling server for a fairly low price in the scirra store, which you do require to host on your own VPS/server.

Scirra's signalling server has a slightly higher chance of incorrect connections, but its perfectly fine for development stages.

Just keep in mind when debugging, that if sometimes out of the blue things are totally not working as they should .... RELOAD the game and try again, before you adjust lots of things (massive time saver right there)

Do not use multiplayer for big games.

use socket.io plugin and nodejs server and then you can do anything you want

Why not ?

Socket.io is far more susceptible to lag and packet sniffers.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Why not ?

Socket.io is far more susceptible to lag and packet sniffers.

for packet sniffers you can sync things and make sure data will received

but multiplayer plugin problems are :

• some modem configures can not connect to it
    • all browser dont support it or dont support it well
    • when a user get disconnected (for net problems) it not reconnect to same room fast and we can reconnect it but it takes a lot of time for : connect to signalling > loggin > go to room > connect !

it really not a good tool for big games because with socket.io you have control of everything and when a user get disconnect you can reconnect it fast

multiplayer plugin just desing for small games . you can just play scirra ghost shooter demo wich you can not play it for more then 20m because game will end if you have a small connection problem !

• >

>

> Why not ?

>

> Socket.io is far more susceptible to lag and packet sniffers.

>

for packet sniffers you can sync things and make sure data will received

but multiplayer plugin problems are :

- some modem configures can not connect to it

- all browser dont support it or dont support it well

- when a user get disconnected (for net problems) it not reconnect to same room fast and we can reconnect it but it takes a lot of time for : connect to signalling > loggin > go to room > connect !

it really not a good tool for big games because with socket.io you have control of everything and when a user get disconnect you can reconnect it fast

multiplayer plugin just desing for small games . you can just play scirra ghost shooter demo wich you can not play it for more then 20m because game will end if you have a small connection problem !

Yup, most of of the above stands, but you can narrow down lots of issues with decent implementation plans.

-Connections over routers/modems: Use dedicated signalling and ice servers for optimum results.

-It is true, WebRTC is not widely supported yet, but it is quickly getting there.

-I would guess any game loosing its signal to the host requires a form of logging in again. with a good fallback plan, one could easily come back to the game. If you have been playing for some time, you would not mind having to wait 10 or 30 seconds before being able to play again (assuming the connection loss was an oddity)

-Game size: this is just a matter of design. If you plan on making a map with dozens of players real time playing, then you can expect problems with bandwidth consumption. To add, fiber connections are becoming more and more popular in home based situations, greatly reducing the issue.

If you compartmentalize your gaming map, you can easily make a huge multiplayer game. Just be careful what gets synced, and if a certain amount of users could exceed decent bandwidth usage, then limit the max amount of players.

Then, combine the construct 2 multiplayer with Ajax and a php/mysql backend, then you can do nearly anything most mmo's are capable.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)