Multiplayer, Lag, and C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Find pleasure in juggling balls with this basic HTML5 template
  • Ashley

I'm just guessing at that number - what do you mulitply the Multiplayer.Latency by to get the exact number of milliseconds?

Nothing - it's already in milliseconds!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley

It looks like if I do "set text to: Multiplayer.PeerLatency(Multiplayer.HostID)" it = ~0.6 to 3 connected in the same browser tab.

• Yeah, that sounds about right - almost instantaneous, no lag at all!

• Ashley,

Right, which is why I couldn't figure out why pinning an object to a sync'd object was creating so much delay. That's why we came up with going the message route.

We tried to simulate 0.5 seconds of latency with ~x4 the normal packet loss and the game was playable for each player, but the other player was (obviously) teleporting all over the place. For our game in particular, I think it's more important that your character is completely playable instead of relying on the host. I know we're losing a lot of features from the plugin, but maybe it would be worth doing a 5th tutorial on advanced multiplayer techniques (syncing animations, pinned sprites, enemies with health, etc.)

• [quote:17sahbx5]but maybe it would be worth doing a 5th tutorial on advanced multiplayer techniques (syncing animations, pinned sprites, enemies with health, etc.)

This would be great to hear, from Ashley 's perspective. I know I'm personally not using the multiplayer plugin properly, and would love to know best practices with syncing animation names, variable height jumping via platform+, etc.

• The existing multiplayer tutorials cover the same principle you'd use for all those things: the host stores all the real authoritative data, and the peers are just thin clients keeping up with that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)