Metro Windows 8 - Compatible?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A complete set of graphical user interface (GUI) with city and factory theme to build 2D video games
  • I know windows 8 wont be released until later this year but if anyone currently has any experience making apps for the new metro interface i was wondering would games made with Construct 2 be portable into a metro app project?

i know that metro will not support flash but it does allow games made with javascript/html5 which is what Construct 2 does so im hoping it wouldnt be too hard to port over and may be just a case of simply adding the exported game files to a metro project but im not sure.

does anyone know if it is possible?

• We haven't had time to test with Windows 8 yet but we're aiming to support Metro apps in time for Windows 8's release later this year. We don't anticipate that it'll be difficult, since Windows 8 advertises HTML5 as a way to make native apps for Windows.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • They have the developer preview available - you can burn the ISO to a DVD and set it up on a old computer or run it on the latest version of VMWare Workstation as a virtual machine if you have a good desktop.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps

I've tried it out and the Apps & Games they have are very basic. People are using Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview to build them right now.

It would be nice to see an export feature from CS2 to Visual Studio so the games could be packaged there.

Here are some sample apps if you are interested: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-Developer-Preview-6b53adbb

*Requires: Windows Developer Preview OS

Windows 8 is pretty clunky right now since its really designed for a multi-touch screen. You'll see a ton of touch screen monitor come out when its released.

If anyone needs any help setting it up just let me know.

• I have win8 developer on my laptop, it doesn't feel clunky at all.

Adding Metro functionality is just a matter of adding extra html/js, so i think that it would be very possible and easy to integrate in C2.

If we would have this option before the actual release on Win8, we would have an advantage for being amongst the first to submit to the appstore

• I think you actually need a full install of Visual Studio to make Windows 8 metro apps, even if they're purely HTML + JS. Kind of a pain.

• I heard that metro apps might no be available to everybody. It is similar to how XBLA is not available to everybody. I hope Im wrong.

• To be honest it's their loss if they make it hard to publish Windows 8 Metro apps - there's a tonne of other places to publish HTML5 games. So let's hope it's a smooth experience.

• metro apps will be available through the ms app store

• To be honest it's their loss if they make it hard to publish Windows 8 Metro apps - there's a tonne of other places to publish HTML5 games. So let's hope it's a smooth experience.

You are preaching to the choir. I dislike the tiered system MS has with their platforms. Hopefully the XBOX 720 won't have the same systems as the 360 has. Hopefully XBLA and XBLIG will merge to become one.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)