Meetup with Ludei

0 favourites
  • Thanks firebelly. That was informative and really appreciated.

I wonder if the thread I started on the dev ouya forums helped push Ludie on this. Maybe, maybe no

forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/7408

• Wait, what? AdMob is supported now? Not just through Mopub like in the past?

From Ludie

"Below there is a list of supported ad networks at this time. We support all this networks using MoPub as network mediator, so the first thing you will need is a MoPub account to manage which networks you want to integrate in your app and how they will rotate."

Now if they have direct admob support, then awesome. Doesn't sound like it though.

• Wait, what? AdMob is supported now? Not just through Mopub like in the past?

From Ludie

"Below there is a list of supported ad networks at this time. We support all this networks using MoPub as network mediator, so the first thing you will need is a MoPub account to manage which networks you want to integrate in your app and how they will rotate."

Now if they have direct admob support, then awesome. Doesn't sound like it though.

Here is the full quote on that.

"Admob is supported already. We support plenty of ad networks at the moment. Every event we are we receive around 10 requests for new ad networks. We can't afford to integrate all of them. Right now we are going to stick to the ones we have (and we will announce another one soon). Whoever want these ad networks (or others) they will have to wait either until we add them or until the SDK for extensions is released."

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok, they don't actually support AdMob, they support Mopub. MoPub supports many different networks through mediation. I get that.

I was just getting excited thinking they actually had native Admob support now. Oh well :). Thanks for bringing it up to them anyway.

I'm excited for the SDK for extensions.

• Thanks for the info and asking the questions for us. Quite happy to hear about web GL especially!

Did you ask specifically/get an answer about JavaScript performance, or just mention that it was important to us?

Hopefully they'll up the file size limit when they get Ouya support going. Because honestly, unless your game is small in scope or use very light assets, 30MB will not cut it for a game.

Cocoonjs is limited to 30 MB?? That simply has to get fixed. Does anyone know why they would require games to be that small?

• Max file size allowed for me says 200mb. I'm a premium member, maybe 30mb is the limit for non premium?

• Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

• I think that Valve's Steam Box will crush Ouya out from the market and that's why Ludei should just forget it and focus on improving CocoonJS's speed with WebGL on mobile.

• Thanks firebelly, that's some awesome clarification. If WebGL becomes available, does that also mean the memory management aspect of WebGL will also be there?

• I think that Valve's Steam Box will crush Ouya out from the market and that's why Ludei should just forget it and focus on improving CocoonJS's speed with WebGL on mobile.

That's not likely to happen for a few key reasons.

A. Steambox to run most if not all of Steam games must be a relatively efficient and higher end system. This means that Steam box performance and price tag will clock in about the same as traditional consoles.

The Ouya isn't designed to compete against the traditional console. Similar to how the Wii didn't want to compete against the traditional console values. The results of the hardware sales were clear. The results of good games for companies that understood the Wii were clear. Massive money maker.

Steam box only muddies the current waters. So unless the Steambox can come in at a price tag of $60. Then Steam box will never "win" some fabricated contested.

B. The Ouya is designed as a mass consumer product. At least that's the reason why it's using an Android OS, and the console is less than $100. It's an impulse purchase console. Similar to the Apple/Play store games that range from 1 to 5 dollars. Boxer 8 is trying to prove value of a $100 game machine for a different form of consumer behaviour market. This is the reason why all games are "free to download" but full features or items in game cost. Entirely different consumer behaviour.

C. Steam box can't beat the Ouya, because the Ouya already beat it self. Though often over looked. The model of human interaction with device and software is key. While an upstream elite, enthuiast market will often learn or enjoy more complicated devices. The mass market wants ease of use. The controller and I must stress is designed for only an upstream market. So while the console software is designed for a mass market. The console price is for a mass market. The controller however is designed for a limited number of game types and only for upstream gamers. These upstream gamers of course only want what they percieve as the best and thats a more expensive and "powerful" device. That would be XBOX360, WiiU and Steambox.

So in effect Boxer8 created a mass consumer product intended to only sell to a market that doesn't want it :P go figure

The result is. Is that Steambox can't beat the Ouya. The Ouya just won't go anywhere. However that's not the big important part of the entire point of the Ouya. Infact the important part is what the Ouya represents. It's a growth direction for a software model that is about easy access and convenient consumer behaviour. Which when convenient always tends to work better with consumers. That's always the technology that succeeds. The Ouya won't succeed. Instead for now it's a Micro Boom market giving an opportunity to use as financial gain.

In the long run the Ouya is the fore runner of penetrating an Android OS into the living room TV. Boxer8 long term goal isn't to have a box in front of the TV, but instead convince Smart TV makers to package Ouya into the TV. If Ouya can prove the worth of the Ouya platform and be intstall in Smart TV's by default. Then that would by default displace the current gaming model. For the mass consumer "Why buy a console when there is a perfectly fine game machine in almost every TV made"

So for Ludie. This isn't about just supporting the Ouya. It's about being ready to shift and be the front of being the first everywhere ready technology for the Android platform for more than just phone and tablets, but instead for your home TV.

So for me it's important to push Ludie and the nagging I did to get them on this direction. Let's see what happens :)

TL;DR Your on a forum about written content.

• If we want a more in-depth connection, lets gather some deeper questions, even super technical ones. This includes ASHLEY. They invited me down to the office to hang out and chat if I wanted. So I can get more face time with them if needed.

• WebGL is my personal top priority, since it comes with memory management (our existing code for that should work), performance improvements, and shaders. After that we need to spend a while making sure everyone can use our CocoonJS integration - we already integrate things like ads and IAP, but I don't think any documentation exists yet that clearly covers how to use both the Cloud Compiler and Construct 2's CocoonJS plugin together effectively.

• WebGL is my personal top priority, since it comes with memory management (our existing code for that should work), performance improvements, and shaders. After that we need to spend a while making sure everyone can use our CocoonJS integration - we already integrate things like ads and IAP, but I don't think any documentation exists yet that clearly covers how to use both the Cloud Compiler and Construct 2's CocoonJS plugin together effectively.

If you have some deeper questions, like code related ones, send me an email at firebelly Gmail. I can take it directly to the devs in SF and have them talk to me about it.

• IAP for me. I have three apps waiting for IAP implementation.

• Ouya all the way

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)