Layout editor suggestions

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • I've been using C2's layout editor much more since the introduction of tilemaps. It is pretty great, but I feel that it's still missing a few things. Here are some suggestions:

-'Initial State' property for effects, just like behaviors have.

-A display option for toggling the drawing of effects in the layout editor.

-A display option to show an additional grid where the size of each cel is equal to the project's window size. (An extra layer & 9patch works but this would be nicer)

And the really important ones...

-An option to make all layouts share the same layers and ribbon settings. What if you make dozens of layouts and decide to add/remove/modify a layer? You'll have to do this manually for every layout! It's also inconvenient to have to change the ribbon settings in each new layout. For a metroidvania or any game with lots of layouts this is a pretty big deal. I am uncomfortable making levels without this feature.

-Object bookmarks. This will be great for locating & keeping track of collectibles and the like.

• Really? No one?

• What if you make dozens of layouts and decide to add/remove/modify a layer? You'll have to do this manually for every layout!

this is a huge pain in the ass for big projects, and it's the main reason I started having a go at my own in game level editor -so I can save and load levels off of a single layout.

Although to be fair now I have a level editor that players can use too, and that's pretty cool.

initial state for effects would be very useful for me too

• agree

i think a way to customize the scroll behavior would be nice too

or a way to specify "areas" inside one layout

that way we could make "rooms" with a more direct approach (like the zelda screen change but mixed with the traditional scrolling too)

maybe the scroll to behavior could have some parameters: free scroll, horizontal scroll, vertical scroll and locked/fixed screen

then we could change the type of scrolling in each "room" based on the screen size

• I agree with all of these suggestions. Specially this one:

-A display option for toggling the drawing of effects in the layout editor.

• valdarko This can be done with a "zone" object and clamp() to restrict the camera. There is a good example in the .capx tutorial section.

• thanks man! i was searching for this one but did't know it was called zone-camera

the only thing i have to learn is the logic behind it, i'm a plank when comes to code. i did understand the concept of how it works but those lerp and clamps i dont get it yet

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The one thing that really pisses me off is the grid size bug. If you change the grid width/height and click on the layout to unselect it, it reverts back for some reason.

• One thing I'd really want to see is ability to Copy the events as a text so that those could be easily pasted to this forum.. Making/editing/uploading/sharing screencapture-parts is just way too tedious.

Another thing would be selecting the size of the objects. I hate to squint the icons/buttons etc of this editor on 20" FullHD Screen.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)