Issue with memory warning

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • My game download is 77mb, it is 60fps in all places.

Construct thinks it's memory use is over 1 gig though. This is because I added some Main Menu backgrounds about 6000x4500 in size. (otherwise the game is pixel art).

I have a popup every time I load the project with a memory warning that shouldnt be there. It also force opens my browser.

How do I stop this happening please? It is very annoying especially considering the message is wrong.

• Here is a quote from Ashley regarding image sizes:

[quote:1xz36cf7]Some people struggle with memory usage on mobile devices with Construct 2, but usually from lack of awareness to how images are stored in memory. Your game might be a 5mb download since all the images are compressed as PNG or JPEG, but they are extracted to uncompressed (basically BMP) in memory for rendering, which can easily make it 5-10x bigger in memory than the download size. Because lots of people ran in to this we recently added a memory usage tracker in the Construct 2 status bar. It's just an estimate, but will give you a useful approximate figure (e.g. 5mb download size, 40mb memory use).

Source is Here.

More useful info can be found in Ashley's latest blog:

Understanding CPU and memory measurements.

• Here is a quote from Ashley regarding image sizes:

[quote:3f6876bj]Some people struggle with memory usage on mobile devices with Construct 2, but usually from lack of awareness to how images are stored in memory. Your game might be a 5mb download since all the images are compressed as PNG or JPEG, but they are extracted to uncompressed (basically BMP) in memory for rendering, which can easily make it 5-10x bigger in memory than the download size. Because lots of people ran in to this we recently added a memory usage tracker in the Construct 2 status bar. It's just an estimate, but will give you a useful approximate figure (e.g. 5mb download size, 40mb memory use).

Source is Here.

More useful info can be found in Ashley's latest blog:

Understanding CPU and memory measurements.

But my game runs at 60fps. It's also just in the Main Menu. It's used as a 'scrolling' background.

• Each image will still need to be loaded into memory and uncompressed to a BMP which for the size quoted would be 6000*4500*4 which would be approx 108MB per image.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I understand why Construct reaches the calculation. I just wish to remove the spam box so I dont have my computer freak out because chrome is forced open whenever I open my project.

• Issue still exists. This is ridiculous. Can you please remove this pointless, patronising feature from construct 3 if youre retiring 2.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)