Isometric view types, your opinion plz

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template for top-down view games)
  • Here are two different isometric views im using for my game

let me get you peoples opinion ^_^

The first:

img854.imageshack.us/img854/6929/isometricviewtesttradit.jpg

is the traditional isometric view, angled such that if you flipped the level, the walls would still line up

The second:

img341.imageshack.us/img341/9630/isometricviewtest90angl.jpg

slightly different view, maybe some games use this view, but it is less used than the first

Pros: of the traditional view:

1: Everyone is familiar with it

2: less graphics will be required as wall type can simply be fliped horizontally as apposed to needing both wall types

3:

Pros of the alternative view:

1: 90 degree angle wall on the left side, may sinc up with the 8 direction movement a little easier

2: New view, and in my opinion looks nicer than the tradiional isometric view

3: slightly less used, so will give players something new to look at in the isometric game world

so please give me your opinion on which one you think looks better

or if you can think of any other pros and cons of each

please note that there will be 8 animation types for the character ie the 8 moveent directions

edit:   or i can use both and have cool star shaped roms

OR i can use both and maybe different level types will have different views,

this of course would require more graphics, and make file size bigger

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, as to what looks better, I'd probably say the second. Mostly as it's more unique. However, it would probably be simpler to work with and create graphics for the first.

• the second wall types them selves arent really any harder to make than the traditional, its just in general with the second i will need twice as many graphics as the walls cannot flip,

on the other hand it may have more unique graphics as i dont need to make the other angle completely alike.

• I actually prefer the view in the first picture. Yes, it's more traditional, but it's traditional for a reason! :) I would probably enjoy the game either way and don't think the difference is really decisive, but there's some value to familiarity, the "feeling right" aspect.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)