Is possible to sell HTML5 .js source code?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Two levels with two sistem Wave. with Source-code (.c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • I was wondering, i've seen some websites that they are planning to HTML5 marketplace, it makes me to think, so there a question:

Is possible to sell HTML5 .js source code made by Construct 2? It's avaliable for somebody who have standard and business licenses.

It's just a exported directory file, commented js and no minify. Not .capx and .caproj

• Why wouldn't you monetize access to the game itself instead of the source code?

• Why wouldn't you monetize access to the game itself instead of the source code?

That's a subjective question.

What happens if other comapny is interesed to buy your source of videogame is generated by C2?

• I'm a bit confused by your original question, who would want to buy the HTML/JS output of Construct 2?

1) In my opinion you could certainly sell the game itself as a game

2) You could also possibly sell the capx as a tutorial or part of a series of a tutorial

• Yes, you mean anyone wants to buy unminified HTML/JS Output of Construct.

They can edit unminified JS while they aren't using C2.

• If a company is interested in buying the source of your game, I would say that is your .capx file in Construct 2. The output javascript is automatically generated and not easy or useful for anyone to look at or modify. The true source is your Construct 2 project. Giving someone the .js file is like giving someone asking for the source of an EXE a huge assembly listing instead of the actual C++ code, which you'd only do if you wanted to annoy them!

• If a company is interested in buying the source of your game, I would say that is your .capx file in Construct 2. The output javascript is automatically generated and not easy or useful for anyone to look at or modify. The true source is your Construct 2 project. Giving someone the .js file is like giving someone asking for the source of an EXE a huge assembly listing instead of the actual C++ code, which you'd only do if you wanted to annoy them!

Thanks for explaining!

Well maybe we do what they want, i guess we should to offer them as consulting.

• Ashley Sorry for bringing this old post back but I have to ask since I'm not fully understanding. There are game portals/ customers that want to buy html5 games but they ask for your source code. Would I be able to give them that?? The reason I ask is that I brought up the subject of construct 2 on the html5gamedev forum and Rich had mentioned that while he loves C2 that his clients want the source code and C2 doesnt give you that option. I see u have posted there before Ashley so if you can shed some light on this that would be great. Here is the conversation.

html5gamedevs.com/topic/438-how-many-people-here-use-construct-2

I hope you are able to do this as it would really bring down the time to make games. using construct 2 vs coding it out (reason being, that I'm not a coder yet. I want to learn JavaScript but will take longer for me to churn out a game)

Thanks for any answers.

• ronval I'd just explain that the engine, like all high-level engines of its type, output machine-generated code that's pretty much useless. Give it to them along with the capx and they might understand.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think they would want to add their own code to it to track analytics , ads perhaps etc. If they aren't able to do this then I don't think they would be interested in having the capx or machine code that is useless lol. Is there anyway around this. Cause it would pretty much block using C2 to make games which can then be sold to portals. It appears they want full out source code. You don't want to limit the places you can take your game to right. Having your game in an App Store is hard to make money now a days for most people, so diversify. From what I am hearing, there is a small group of portals/ sponsors . But they scream give me source code!!!lol. Any more suggestions ? Besides wishing i was a real programmer lol.

• You can definitely sell the source code, the only issue is if they want to customise it then by far the easiest way is to give them the .capx source then they use the Javascript SDK to add their own analytics, tracking etc. I guess most portals aren't used to doing that, but there's no reason it can't be done.

• ronval if your client is using mac, you probably make an XML config how your client can edit settings of the game via XML file.

• thanks man good to know. I did end up finding out that portals do take C2 games you would just have to use the C2 SDK to add the extra functions that they might want.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)