iOS Retina

1 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Ashley

How is the retina option being achieved, with this: target-densitydpi=device-dpi or in the actual code?

With tons of effort I was able to reach around 30fps in phonegap on the iPhone, the iPad instead can't handle it in retina mode (the ipad3 has too much pixel density) can you tell me what are you doing to handle this retina stuff so I can play in Xcode without having to compile everytime?

Thank you

• That's subjetive

Use 2048 x 1536 resolution for iPad 3, make sure about phonegap is not designed to optimize videogame, you might to try appMobi, also we can wait for r100 to improve support for mobile devices.

When retina is off, iOS will automatically lower the quality of the sprites for performance reason.

• Thanks but that wasn't my question.

I just would like to know how Ashley handles the retina option.

• I found how to switch the modes through code and I found out two interesting facts with phonegap

1) Retina mode on iPhone actually improves performance by around 5fps in my game!

2) Retina mode on iPad kills performance on an ipad3 with retina on 1fps retina off 20-30fps!!!!!

Which brings me to ask, is there any way to programmatically switch off retina based on the device we are using?

• (Sorry for late reply, was away)

I'm not sure what you mean - you can turn the retina mode on and off in project properties, and if it is on it basically requests a canvas at double resolution. Both the meta viewport tags in the exported HTML and the javascript code are involved in making it work. Does that help?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi Ashley, thanks, I was just searching for a way to test without having to export, and in the end I found the variable in the "Setting" array, so no problem.

Still it would be nice to have a way to "switch" off retina mode based on the device (iPhone/iPad)

• Make 2 builds and call the retina one "My Game HD"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)