Information Regarding New Version of CocoonJS Plugin for C2

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • I Tweeted at Ludei last week asking when they would be releasing a newer version of their CocoonJS plugin for Construct 2 and they responded, "Sometime this week" that of course was last week and still no word on release.

Are the the C2 developers and by developers I mean Ashley able to tell us when the newer plugin is going to be featured in a Construct 2 release? The newer plugin will bring a few missing features the plugin currently does not have like support for Google Play Leaderboards amongst others. This is actually holding back a game I am waiting to release which has implemented iOS leaderboards, but because of the lack of Android Google Play leaderboard support in the current plugin, Android doesn't get a native leaderboard.

I would email Ludei directly, but they seem to be very busy given they just released version 2.0 of their service which has received a lot of positive press and presumably they're refining the current version even further.

• Ludei is in charge of all of this, releases, announcements, etc. From what I've seen they do not communicate that often with Scirra. We need to keep on them in the forums, twitter, email, etc and just wait for it.

They were supposed to open source the plugin and basically leave it up to us, but as we know, Ludei doesn't share roadmaps with the public.

<rant>

Let's remember, they are a start up, with a small team, and they are giving us a free product. They only have one goal and that is to get another round of funding to keep going, so they are really targeting the product to investors or potential buyers, not us. I feel once the product is more stable or they get bought out, they will become more consumer focused.

</rant>

• Ludei is in charge of all of this, releases, announcements, etc. From what I've seen they do not communicate that often with Scirra. We need to keep on them in the forums, twitter, email, etc and just wait for it.

They were supposed to open source the plugin and basically leave it up to us, but as we know, Ludei doesn't share roadmaps with the public.

<rant>

Let's remember, they are a start up, with a small team, and they are giving us a free product. They only have one goal and that is to get another round of funding to keep going, so they are really targeting the product to investors or potential buyers, not us. I feel once the product is more stable or they get bought out, they will become more consumer focused.

</rant>

Ah, I see. I thought because the plugin comes bundled with Construct 2, they would be in contact with Ashley and the team. As for roadmaps, Ludei publicly responded to my Tweet telling me very soon and most likely last week. This means Construct 2 is being paid attention and they have a plugin that is ready to roll. Ludei have a bigger team than Construct 2, they're a startup in the sense they need VC funding to keep going, but they've got the resources to at least respond a little more.

It would be in Ludei's best interests to give developers the required functionality to leverage their platform because I know there are a lot of developers out there waiting for Google Play leaderboard support before they release their games (myself included). There will be a flood of games Ludei can use to bolster their portfolio, "Hey look at what all these people have made using our service and not Phonegap" more users equals a better chance of them getting more VC funding.

• Digitalsa There is a history there... they are not the best at communicating and even worse usually at keeping to any type of stated timeline. Scirra used to maintain the plugin but it got too difficult with the lack of communication from Ludei so they put the ball in Ludei's court and are leaving it up to them to update the plugin. In the past their public replies have amounted to very little actual action, so here is hoping that their ways have changed a bit...

• <rant>

</rant>

I wonder why they need funding when they have such an excellent product. Maybe if they had a better pricing model with clear subscription plans for developers on their website (to remove splashscreen and whatever) they would make more money?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > <rant>

> Let's remember, they are a start up, with a small team, and they are giving us a free product. They only have one goal and that is to get another round of funding to keep going, so they are really targeting the product to investors or potential buyers, not us. I feel once the product is more stable or they get bought out, they will become more consumer focused.

> </rant>

>

I wonder why they need funding when they have such an excellent product. Maybe if they had a better pricing model with clear subscription plans for developers on their website (to remove splashscreen and whatever) they would make more money?

They are a San Francisco startup with a free product, so expenses are high, income is low. They decided that the only way to make money was to go with a SAS model rather than sell a product. They intend to make money off IAP cuts, premium service cuts, etc.

I kind of think they are also trying to get Nickelodeon to invest in them because they build a game for them on the platform. All speculation though...

• i guess we need to be patient... few days is not much.

...if it is just a matter of couple days?

• Plugin has arrived and is now open source: https://github.com/ludei/Construct-2-plugin

• i dont know guys you complain about cjs plugin the same time where i complain about cjs v2 from the moment it came out. i cant install it in my mobile/mobiles under 2.3.7 (with official and custom roms) 2 weeks passed already and ludei said we try to resolve the problem of "invalid package"...im so angry...ludei is good at promises but they failed almost every time to fullfill our expectations

• Perhaps look in to using Ejecta and Crosswalk instead.

• Ashley Do they take a lot of time to integrate IAP and Ads management to a new version of C2 for crosswalk? My game is ready to publish as crossplatform in next week.

• Sorry Ashley but these options are far worse than the old cocoonJS, at least in my experience.

• Perhaps look in to using Ejecta and Crosswalk instead.

I've tested this my apps and saw a pretty big performance gap between them. I think that is the main reason (well ads too) that people are looking to ludei. I wasn't talking a couple of FPS different. More like 40 FPS vs 3 FPS.

That said, I will give them another go soon.

I was looking to you Ashley to give us the lay of the land with this. What you can do, what you can't do. What we have control over, what we have time for. I think some of us are willing to throw money at it too if it helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)