Image Size Increase???

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Every time i add an image to construct 2 the game size increases by 2 times if not 3 times the size of the image i added, for example i made an image in Photoshop that is 250 kb i insert it in construct 2 and the game size increase by 1.3 mb!!!! this is really bothering me , because my game size is now alot bigger than what i want it to be or what i planned for it to be.

please tell me why is this happening and how can i fix it.

thanks for all.

• What's your reference to indicate game size. If your using the number in the bottom right corner. That's estimated in memory use. As an artist I'm sure you already know that file size 1/4 or less of memory size.

• What's your reference to indicate game size. If your using the number in the bottom right corner. That's estimated in memory use. As an artist I'm sure you already know that file size 1/4 or less of memory size.

I am using the part that says Approximate download:

• Everything you import is converted to 32-bit PNG. Choose a different format in the Image Format dialog in the image editor if you want something else.

• Everything you import is converted to 32-bit PNG. Choose a different format in the Image Format dialog in the image editor if you want something else.

I tried changing the entire project it to all three formats , the Approximate download haven't changed . however i would love to know which one is better in the performance side because the size doesn't seem to change.

• its the pixel difference ... or DPI you are creating your image in. you need to save your art at 96 DPI before you import it to C2, then it will be the exact size you created it.

• its the pixel difference ... or DPI you are creating your image in. you need to save your art at 96 DPI before you import it to C2, then it will be the exact size you created it.

Omg thank you soo much!!!! i tried changing the dpi and it worked great!!

• wait... i dont know what happened , my approximate download went down just like i wanted then suddenly came back up.

i am really confused.

my approximate download was 12mb , changed dpi for several images and download goes down to 5.2mb, came back a little later and download is 12mb again.....

• When dealing with pixels DPI has no meaning - if your initial art was exported at the correct pixel size (i.e. 256x256px, for example) the DPI setting is of 0 importance. DPI is the relationship between pixels and real world units, inches in this case. This has a role for real world applications, such as printing, etc.

So as long as your pixel size doesn't change the dpi won't affect the file size, since PixelsX*PixelsY*bits is the same.

Best approach is what Ashley says - if you have background images you can pick an option to save those as JPEGs, for example, the file size will be smaller. But also check the actual export size - the editor cannot know what the images are actually like so it cannot know how they will compress for sure (I guess).

• Yeah, but when i changed png 32 to jpeg the download size doesn't change, my problem is in the download size. i export the image from photoshop as jpeg 130kb forexample and when i add it to c2 the download size increases by 1.5 mb which is really bad.

• Do you judge this size by what C2 tells you or from actual export? Since like I said the download size computation probably doesn't do complex file type and compression comparison, but just sums up the size of those cached 32 bit PNG files. Can you check an actual export?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • DPI stands for "dots per inch", which lets you know what the pic's resolution is going to be. It is not a file type like JPGs (I understand that) BUT a 300 DPI image is going to take quite a bit more space than a 72 DPI pic because there is a lot more info in the file. ...

I still believe its a resolution issue, ... obviously you are trying to save the detail in your image,

try this.

take your "original image" and save it at what ever size it is. then reopen the image from the saved file in another project (without dragging the scale) just open the image as is, when the image opens , Im going to assume it will be quite large.

Now down scale the image to the size you want and save it at 96 DPI in a web safe format like PNG, these are a bit larger but it will maintain transparency if you have any.

load your image into C2 and you should be ok...

also in the future, when your drawing images make your canvas size roughly the size you need for your image so you stay within the boundaries, I guessing you have a full sheet around 900x600 that your drawing a image on and that is where your problem is coming into play. "but I could be wrong" no insult intended... I myself have made mistakes like this and it turned out to be that the draw software was scaling the image back to original size on save to preserve the DPI.

• TonyW - guess you either didn't read my post thoroughly or just decided it's not correct, however - A 512x512 PIXEL image will be the same file size no matter what DPI it has set. DPI is meaningless, it's just a multiplier.

I work with print production and often run into people adamantly believing DPI misconceptions - that it has some magical meaning beyond the pixel size of an image. Hence my wish to educate.

Let's ask our friend Photoshop:

Look at the DPI, pixel size and file size (Image Size: 768,0K on top). 512x512 pixels x image bits will ALWAYS be the same - DPI doesn't mean jack.

C2 also only deals in pixels and won't magically downscale or upscale the image. If it's saved as 512x512 pixels it will be the same in C2, no matter the DPI.

If you work in real-life sizes - in print, for example, look at EFFECTIVE DPI of the final image, in pixel graphics DPI is meaningless.

• we dont know exactly what he is doing, how he is saving the image, what program he is using, is it re-sampling or re-sizing the image??? or what format....

I use a image program called (Draw plus) from serif and if you create a image at 50x50 it defaults to 96 dpi, if you change that the the image will automatically upscale or down scale to compensate... I often change it to maintain the resolution while layering images, when I save a image that was created with detail, it does not maintain the image quality when I bring it back into the program... it is blurry and grainy.. however if i save it at 300 dpi it comes back just like it was in the editor. then I have to re-scale the image back to 96 or when I upload it to c2 the image is 5X larger then It was in my editor... ( im not making this up, I have no need too. ) just simply stating what I have experienced my self.

I dont know what my editor does different then yours, but it does it.

[attachment=0:1o8ei1wh][/attachment:1o8ei1wh]

• [attachment=0:29iu303v][/attachment:29iu303v]

look at these two images I have uploaded... scirra forum software automatically placed the image size under each image...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)