I cant animate, but I love game design. What should I do?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Video intro templates for games and game making with Construct 3 made with Animate
  • So I consider my self fairly experienced with construct 2 (About 2000 hours) and I have been programming since I was like 12. I love game design, and I really want actually publish a game. But, as the title of this post suggests, I cannot animate for the life of me. I can make fairly descent pixel art, and fairly decent visual effects. But there is basically no point in cool looking art, if it remains static. I make new code at a very random rate, so I don't want to work with anybody else.

So what should I do? should I just create assets that work around my limited artistic ability, or should I just deal with my horrible art. If anybody has any suggestions, than please help. Thanks!

• I'm in the same boat, you just gotta play to your strengths. Make games that don't need as much artwork. top down games are often lighter on the art than side view. puzzle type games are nice because you're just making simple shapes.

if you want to learn how to make you own assets, I would recommend starting with a vector program like inkscape rather than a raster program like gimp/krita because you can make decent assets without much practice.

a few other options:

1. buy or look around for open source assets.

2. pair up with somebody that can make animations. either pay them or rev share are good options. though some beginners may work for free.

3. if you're in college make friends with an art student and see if they want to do some game animations. remember aspiring designers are looking to build up a portfolio to show future employers.

fiverr upwork and the job request forums are all resources that are made for you to use.

as for the making code at a random rate, just use placeholders then hire an artist when the project coding is done.

• Hi,

You can buy it. Or

You can use Asset sheet and code to animate.

Cheers.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Abstract games can be done with minimal assets (although doing them nicely still takes an eye for aesthetics). Mini Metro comes to mind, or Hexcells.

Otherwise, is your friend. Find some assets you like as a base and expand on them.

• I can make fairly descent pixel art, and fairly decent visual effects. But there is basically no point in cool looking art, if it remains static.

-You can do awesome games without animating pixel art.

-You can find an artist you pay to do the animation parts.

-There are many free templates around the web to use for a game.

-You can learn how to animate pixel art, there are tutorials everywhere.

An important part I think is to have the right tool, it can help a lot:

Aseprite, perfect pixel editor, you can find a limited free version. (I use it and my view can be biased)

Pyxel edit, another pixel editor, you can find a limited free version.

Piskel, online editor.

• I cannot animate for the life of me.

I make new code at a very random rate, so I don't want to work with anybody else.

I was in the same boat.

I finally took the plunge and bought some art asset packs that fit one of my game ideas, and I must say having good art that I've paid for is a real motivator in making the game.

If you're not ready to buy art yet, then Kenney has a lot of free art to fit most game types.

• There are 1000s of awesome pixel artists animators on diviantart , pixelation and other similar sites dying to have their work in a good game.

Most will work for money, but many will work for free for fan art games, or profit share > IF < you can demo a competent game engine / alpha build.

Don't go to those sites empty handed with half a page of "awesome game idea, need some artwork" you will get no response. Build up your engine with rudimentary sprites, get the mechanics working and formulate some ideas on the art style. Then at least you will have something talk about.

...Or you can lead with cold hard cash. that will work 99.9% of the time....

• http://www.2dgameartguru.com/

lots of tutorials on how to start making simple art.

• I can't animate either so I'm learning flat design.

Look at these very simplistic art style:

This game is the white HOT shit lately and it's been popping up in everyone's recommended list.

Here are some guys working on games with simple design too but the games look good:

0000-on-steam-greenlight_t190078

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/682721

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)