I am depressed and discouraged. What to do?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • I have this neat idea for a Tycoon theme. But lately life has been really hard for me (been unemployed since last December, haven't been able to find work since then, and have $2 in my bank account, so I can't even get the full license to Construct 2 yet).

It seems overwhelming to me. I don't know how to motivate myself to get started, or how to just break the process down into small, doable tasks. I'm still new to game development, never published a game before.

Really could use your advise.

Thanks.

• Goodwill - they will help find employment and train you in new skills to land a job. And focus on employment before you sit down and stress about building a Tycoon game. IMO

• Goodwill - they will help find employment and train you in new skills to land a job. And focus on employment before you sit down and stress about building a Tycoon game. IMO

Actually, I still live with my parents, so it's not so much of an issue. Plus I already have assistance in finding employment and getting training. In fact, I start college next year. In the meantime though, I have nothing to do with my time.

• joshua - workflowy.com

put down what needs doing in broad steps

make game.

then break it down into what needs doing like, coming up with idea, testing idea, making basic gameplay, starting art, etc

then break them down either as you go, or all at once into further steps like phases if you need to, or not if you don't. the idea though is if the list seems overwhelming you can click the circle on the left and fill the screen with only one section and it's subtasks, and if they are too big and still seem overwhelming to start on, break them down even more until you're like "seriously? I can finish this in two minutes"

and if you start crossing those out even one a day

you'd be surprised at how different you feel. trust me I'm an expert on feeling overwhelmed

• I think we've all been there! A lot of people go through this.

What I've learned is basically just getting out and about and staying healthy is best to keep yourself motivated and happy. Eat healthily, do 30 mins exercise every day, and just leave the house/go for walks/join clubs/get away from it all somehow if you're ever feeling unmotivated. Stay in touch with friends, family etc. and keep seeing people as well. Overall you'll feel way more motivated when you do sit down to work than just sitting down for yet another day of the same old stuff on your computer.

On top of that, you just gotta stick to it. Do the tiniest thing, draw a picture, make a single event, something like that at least once a day. You'll be getting somewhere, even if slowly.

• Thank you Lucid and Ashley for your responses, I appreciate it. :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Joshua: don't hesitate to post some files here to ask for help on some pieces of the game (not the whole game so you're not afraid of somebody stealing your work). Lot of people here can give you a hand on some things, because we potentially use them in our own production (so you're not forced to recreate the wheel => quicker dev cycle => maybe quicker bucks on you bank account).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)