How to create APK Expansion file?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • I imagine that someone here with some coding knowledge could whip up a tutorial 'for dummies' explaining step by step how someone without coding knowledge can make an expansion file for their C2 game. It's necessary for larger mobile games, so a tutorial is overdue. My Googling it has only resulted in answers that look to require coding knowledge, such as through use of Android Studio. Which would be okay, if there were to be a tutorial guiding us along the way. Could someone who knows how to do this take some time to write up a tutorial? It would be very popular.

• I imagine that someone here with some coding knowledge could whip up a tutorial 'for dummies' explaining step by step how someone without coding knowledge can make an expansion file for their C2 game. It's necessary for larger mobile games, so a tutorial is overdue. My Googling it has only resulted in answers that look to require coding knowledge, such as through use of Android Studio. Which would be okay, if there were to be a tutorial guiding us along the way. Could someone who knows how to do this take some time to write up a tutorial? It would be very popular.

A tutorial would be really useful...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • xmnboy I believe you work for Intel and are in contact with the XDK team, I'd like to request a statement about this.

Would it be possible for the XDK team to provide us Construct 2 Dev's a simple tool to create an APK expansion file?

I personally don't know much about the tech behind APK expansions but I assume that it could be possible to store all C2 files

inside the expansion and let the browser runtime itself (which is inside the default APK) load the content from the expansion?

If the mentioned way above isn't possible, we could also do a workaround by having the media and texture files on the expansion and run the game itself as usual over the default APK. C2 is allowing us to set the paths to those 2 folders which contain the majority of game assets, this basically means that we would need some sort of "APK expansion creator" which imports those two folders and provides us the paths to those folders.

Again, those are just speculations and I don't know much about the whole APK expansion process.

• TheRealDannyyy -- sorry for taking so long to reply, I don't check the Construct2 site that frequently. Providing a mechanism to support APK expansion files is outside the scope of the XDK and the types of apps we are supporting. It is not something that will be added to the product. For that sort of a feature I recommend you go directly to using Cordova CLI, where you have much more control over the construction of your APK files.

There is at least one APK expansion file Cordova plugin available (perhaps more) that you might want to experiment with. It likely will not work with our build system, because there appears to be a lot of fixups to your project that will likely fail with our build system, thus Cordova CLI is your best bet.

• TheRealDannyyy -- sorry for taking so long to reply, I don't check the Construct2 site that frequently. Providing a mechanism to support APK expansion files is outside the scope of the XDK and the types of apps we are supporting. It is not something that will be added to the product. For that sort of a feature I recommend you go directly to using Cordova CLI, where you have much more control over the construction of your APK files.

There is at least one APK expansion file Cordova plugin available (perhaps more) that you might want to experiment with. It likely will not work with our build system, because there appears to be a lot of fixups to your project that will likely fail with our build system, thus Cordova CLI is your best bet.

Alright, looks like the community has to find a way to deal with this.

Thanks for taking your time to respond!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)