How to create APK Expansion file?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hello Constructors

Google Play limits the APK file size to 50 MB but allows additional expansion file of up to 2Gb.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/2481797

I have seen this question on some places on the forum, but it was never answered: How can I set up my C2 and/or crosswalk to create such structure?

Thnx

• I have the same problem, and I hope there is a solution.

• Ashley - Is there a known solution to this issue?

• I've asked Intel to support it automatically in Crosswalk. I'll nudge them and see what the progress is.

• Hi there Ashley, you were awesome on the C2 podcast. Any news from Intel about implementing APK Expansion files?

• Perfect timing for asking delaflaquita Intel integrated the expansion file plugin into the XDK build system today!

Tomorrow I will run few tests and report.

• Perfect timing for asking delaflaquita Intel integrated the expansion file plugin into the XDK build system today!

Wow, really? This would be awesome for the game I'm working on now, which includes some vids. Really had to squeeze to get it in under the 50mb limit. I'd love to be able to up that 10mb or so; would make a world of difference to the video quality of the included clips.

So...how do we go about using this?

From where you got that info?

• Really! AWesomeee, but I can't seem to find the plugin info. Please provide link for all of us. Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> From where you got that info?

>

I got this info directly from Intel. I have been nudging them about expansion file for quite a while...

It might be that this option is still not official, since there are still few issues on the startup sequence (few seconds delay between the splash screen and the loader).

• I just read in depth the instructions I got from Intel yesterday (I was away from my desk) :

The solution is not fully automated yet, it still requires adding and editing intelxdk.config.additions.xml file manually. I believe that as soon as the automated workflow is completed, Intel will publish instructions.

• I can't wait to play with this. More than just allowing us to exceed the 50MB limit, it makes it easier to deploy updates: put your "static" assets like music and base sprites into the secondary APK, and only ever update the primary APK (which will contain your event scripts and new/changed assets) as you expand your game or fix bugs and whatnot. Saves users download time/data as well, which is still a concern on mobile for many people.

• I just read in depth the instructions I got from Intel yesterday (I was away from my desk) :

The solution is not fully automated yet, it still requires adding and editing intelxdk.config.additions.xml file manually. I believe that as soon as the automated workflow is completed, Intel will publish instructions.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

• Update:

Upon testing manually the expansion plugin with my game, few problems and issues came up.

Intel are currently working on these last adjustments and fixes.

• Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will be easy to use the plugin on release.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)