Hot Phones

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hello everyone,

I'm approaching the alpha phase of my new mobile game and I've noticed that it is running very hot. I've done all of the major optimization tricks that are listed on the forums. On my i-5 3750k it's only using 3-4% cpu with draw calls being at 4%. (Obviously this is much more powerful than a mobile processor, but I figured that 3-4% is pretty low. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyways, the game runs at an unstable 35-45fps, which is technically playable - it's a simple RPG. One of my main problems is that my phone heats up enough to raise sea levels a few inches. So my questions are:

1. Is 3-4% load on an i5 pretty bad?

2. Are there any good ways to prevent the phone from heating up (and subsequently eating battery?)

3. Does anyone have some less common performance tips that could help?

Thank you for your help!!

• Well, after some more tinkering I answered my own questions.

1. Is 3-4% load on an i5 pretty bad?

• for a mobile game? Yes. I went through all my event groups one by on and found additional ways to optimize them. Particularly, I changed events to run only once on the start of the layout where possible.

2. Are there any good ways to prevent the phone from heating up (and subsequently eating battery?)

• Reduce event cpu utilization seemed to help me quite a bit. My mobile processor now runs between 30-50, and while that might not be great, my phone doesn't heat up as much as it did. It's just warm now.

3. Does anyone have some less common performance tips that could help?

• Using on start of layout helped a lot whenever possible
    • Organize your events into groups. The debugging tool tells you which group is using the most CPU. Systematically move through each of the most cpu demanding groups finding ways to optimize.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What are you using to test your game on mobile?

• A samsung GS3 and a Note 4

• I had similar issues as well with a matching game I created. Time to build, design and do everything else, 8 months. 99% completed, than during extensive test, noticed not only does it get hot very fast, it drains the battery like crazy! You might want to check your battery status as well when testing for 10 minutes like that.

• I had the same issue before optimising assets. If you haven't already, make sure your images are only as big as they need to be - be really strict!

• I had the same issue before optimising assets. If you haven't already, make sure your images are only as big as they need to be - be really strict!

Optimizing assets is a great idea. Not something I've thought of. Thanks for the tip.

• Oh. I meant through what kind of app are you testing it through. For example, I am testing the my game via the CocoonJS Launcher App.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)