Halfway done "World 1" Too much Memory Usage?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • Hey guys, just was curious, I am making a platformer that will....by the time its done have at least 8 worlds. I have the first world a little over half complete. Which is a layout that is a map to go to each place and then 4 levels. Right now my memory usage is 174 mb. Does that number seem reasonable? Given how much i still have to do? What is a number to try and stay away from?

• 174 is quite a lot for html. Most modern computers can easily handle this as most video cards have gigabytes worth of memory available, but upon loading into the game, you'll get a bit of a stutter. I ran into an issue similar to this on Viktor where if I had music playing over layouts, loading a new layout over ~170mb would actually "stretch" the audio and you would hear this obnoxiously loud sine wave until the next layout was loaded properly and the music could continue. For me, I try to stay under 150 mb on average if possible.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hmm, well thank you that is unfortunate. Because I feel like by the time i make the other worlds it will be 174x8 lol. Might have to rethink some stuff.

• If you refering to the estimated memory use for your project that's based on the layout with the most memory use. It's not based on the whole project. So as long as each of your worlds is on different layouts then it will only load that one world into memory. So you wont have 174x8mb just which ever world/layout is currently loaded.

• If you refering to the estimated memory use for your project that's based on the layout with the most memory use. It's not based on the whole project. So as long as each of your worlds is on different layouts then it will only load that one world into memory. So you wont have 174x8mb just which ever world/layout is currently loaded.

Yes thank you, I actually recently realized this when I was running in debugger mode. My biggest Layout Maxed at about 116MB Memory Usage. Is that a number that is ok? I have a pretty hefty rig. And I want to make sure the game will run ok on slower computers.

• Be sure to follow the memory usage tips.

Read carefully and follow the links provided, there is a lot of informations and optimizations you can and should apply to your project.

Also, the memory you can wish to use depends on the target you are aiming for. Desktop computers may probably handle up to 500 mo easily (don't take my word for it that's a rough estimate) but a mobile device probably won't have that much to spare.

• Yeah this is my first game, I have no plan to put it on mobile. Just share between friends and family and myself. So desktop is what I am after. Thanks guys for all the responses. I am bookmarking that memory usage Link =)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)