GDC Mega Thread

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
25 Royalty free tracks from 16 genres including western, sci-fi, war, mythical and many more.
  • GDC MEGA THREAD

I wanted to start a thread we could use for all things GDC related.

CocoonJS: Talked to them and here is basically what they said give or take. They are working on version 2.0 which contains bug fixes and feature updates. These feature updates mainly include a remote debugging ability as well as a new plugin API. This is so you can start writing your own stuff for CocoonJS directly. What about audio bugs? What about 9Patch not working? What about Ads failing? No word. What about the fact that Ludei has been pretty slow to answer emails/twitter/forums? Answer was this: We are a small team and we're all coding. They are in need of funding and looking to get either bought out or have another investor inject cash into the business. This kind of talk made me a little nervous. So it really sounds like they are just trying to get features out so they can sell, and they aren't planning on going more customer focused any time soon. He mentioned a monthly release cycle, which we all know is not the case.

IntelXDK: We (buddy of mine) talked to the folks at Intel who ran the XDK booth. The tool sounds like it is going to be developed pretty regularly. It's still in that strange state where they aren't sure how to handle mobile so they are doing it all. IF you look on the build screen, there are like 3 ways to export to android, we commented that it was confusing...normal android, cordova android, crosswalk android...they need to get that under control

OcculusRift: Not related to us, but this was AWESOME with EVE Valkyrie. I almost threw up after it, but only because it was a wild ride.

It was also nice seeing the games in person and meeting devs, even some C2 devs! Everyone should give it up for who had a booth and was also Greenlit on steam during GDC.

• Also fun note, Intel XDK is an HTML5 app, Node-Webkit. The entire IDE.

• Great for asking, but if I may offer some points.

I find some questions asked to Ludie having nothing to do with Ludie at all. As an example 9Patch is a way of rendering sprites. Ludie only provides sprite rendering. it's up to us to figure that out. If 9Patch isn't working it's Ashley who needs to fix that.

As for Audio it would have been better to ask about Web Audio rather than the current bugs. The current Audio system only uses the standard HTML tag style of playing. Where as the Web Audio version supported memory control of the audio for more robust features.

as for ads. That's an AJAX thing. They say they support AJAX calls as far a I know. However they need to support it in there plugin, which they don't seem keen on doing.

Now the big thing to hear is the Plugin feature. If this is the way it goes this could be fantastic for us. If we have an Audio bug, maybe we can build the bindings to the native layer and use WebAudio api calls. We want WebRTC on iOS and Android with CJS. We can use the WebRTC standard calls to Android and iOS native libraries. We don't need to wait for Ludie to do them.

It's a lot of work, but some one will get it done. I think what we can from this is that while they aren't going much forward on their own. The Plugin system if indeed allows us access to lower level libraries could be a massive benefit.

• Nintendo have confirmed that WebGL support is on the way for WiiU.

• Niiiiice

• It's a lot of work, but some one will get it done. I think what we can from this is that while they aren't going much forward on their own. The Plugin system if indeed allows us access to lower level libraries could be a massive benefit.

I think they realized once they released, that all these toolkits were going to come to them for support. So instead of just working on the Cocoon product, they had to support cocoon+impact.js, cocoon+Construct2, cocoon+ETCETCETC. it was overwhelming and they needed a way to let them handle it themselves and use cocoon as a platform instead of a end to end product.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Indeed, Crosswalk is looking more and more like the future for C2 projects. Just looking at the number of intended export targets when you fire up the XDK is quite promising. Can't say I am totally comforted by either solution , Ludei or XDK, both being cloud and account based. It is somewhat off putting, especially when your signed app needs to go through the same service to be updated on the playstore. What if you have a hit using CocoonJS , but a year later can't update it because Ludei have gone belly up?

Also, recently learned that Intel has bought AppMobi, which bodes well for the future. A one stop shop that does your compiles and ads/in-app etc. through one service provider is compelling. And it is Intel, so it is not as though THEY will go out of business any time soon...

• Nintendo have confirmed that WebGL support is on the way for WiiU.

If that comes, Courier just may make it on Wii U!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)