Game not running on the GPU?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • I bought a new gaming PC recently. Today I tried running Airscape on it, and it worked but there was considerable stuttering in both Chrome and Node-Webkit. Changing the resolution confirmed that this issue is in fact graphics-related.

Looking at the system monitor that came with the machine, CPU usage is about 10% and GPU usage is 0%. The graphics drivers were updated to their latest versions yesterday. This is rather concerning as this is surely effecting other users with less powerful machines.

chrome://gpu shows that chrome is using the machine's integrated graphics and not the GPU.

Here's a link to the dxdiag for my machine, containing all the details.

What's going on here? Is the driver blacklisted by Chrome or something? That would be insane.

• Depends on the vendor, and the newest driver might be years old.

chrome://flags

• This is a laptop, right?

Maybe your system need to be switched to "high speed" or something... I got this with my Sony Vaio. Normally it works using integrated Intel card, but can be switched to "speed mode" and then it will use faster Radeon.

• shinkan the GPU works fine for other games. Yes, it is a laptop.

newt the driver is 2 weeks old.

• Just dried enabling ignore-gpu-blacklist. No change, still using integrated graphics.

• As a side note: Nice laptop you have there, alot of power.

Now to your problem, this is something that is a power saving feature.

Blame Nvidia... Heres a solution that should work:

• Open Nvidia control panel
    • Click View
    • Turn ON: Add "Run with graphics processor" Option to Context Menu"
    • Turn ON: "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area"
    • Close Nvidia control panel
    • Right-click on the Chrome icon and select: Run with graphics processor
    • Select: "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

More Info about this issue here.

-Conti

• SgtConti thanks, that was it. Ugh, what a terrible decision on NVidia's part. Yet ANOTHER third party we have to complain to to get our games working properly.

At least it doesn't affect NW export.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • OK, so this is solved for Chrome, however, contrary to Ashley's statement in the article, Node-Webkit export does NOT use the CPU.

This is very very bad

• OK, so this is solved for Chrome, however, contrary to Ashley's statement in the article, Node-Webkit export does NOT use the CPU.

This is very very bad

What?

What article?

• shinkan the one sgtconti linked to

• shinkan the one sgtconti linked to

Which paragraph, cause i cant find it?

• This was great to point out! I updated my HD4600 driver and set 3D to the NVidia for Chrome and my sprite count went through the roof! I was a little concerned that my new laptop wasn't doing too well LOL!

• I still would like to know if NW runs of integrated chipsets?

• megatronx second last paragraph.

This is really really important to get sorted out since most CPUs these days include integrated graphics chipsets.

• megatronx second last paragraph.

This is really really important to get sorted out since most CPUs these days include integrated graphics chipsets.

NV did this a few months ago, they decided they know best and in order to make their power usage look good, if their drivers detect web content (chrome, ie etc), it auto switches to the integrated GPU on Intel CPUs (which are horrible for gaming) instead of the main GTX. As far as I know, this only applies to notebooks/portables, on desktop it doesn't do it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)