February 2014, where are things with Ouya support?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • colin jones, yea seeing that c2 does output real code and supports js plugins, a lot is possible. It just takes someone with the capability and drive to link things up. I would love to be that person, but I am not. At least not for a month or two till me and my dev partner have some time to put our heads together and figure it out, when we have something to publish for it.

• yea those things are somewhat disheartening but Ouya is also looking to go to a streaming model as well, so while the hardware might go away, they may be able to move their wares to a streaming service which certainly doesn't mean certain success it shows that they are bringing another option to developers to reach gamers..

maybe no one is buying.. but i feel like its still a great place to get something off the ground. a test market. after all we have C2.. we can make it for many platforms.. so Im still excited to do it, if not for any other reason than the accomplishment.

I don't want this thread to be a "Ouya is dead" debate.. it may be.. it may not be.. but for those of us who do want to try and put something out there, this should be where we post about how to accomplish that.. it would be great if there was official support, but of course articles like this saying the Ouya is dead.. bla bla.. doesn't help matters..

I would like to make a simple, fun game using C2 and put it up on the system. I have a free app idea I want to do as well, a utility that i think will be useful.. right now its just a matter of finding the time to do the digging.. but when i do have the time, i'm going to get'r done

• I was excited about what Ouya might become, but after reading these articles, it doesn't look good

That is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to grab an Ouya to see what I could do with it. Maybe I still will, but I'll just have to lower expectations.

• you know what, I think anyone who wants to kick the Ouya for not being good enough need a swift kick in the groin.. seriously.. lol

How many years of development and millions if not billions of dollars went into developing the Xbox and Playstations? holding the Ouya that that standard and expecting it to make a bunch of indies rich was never realistic in the first place..

you know what our options where before the Ouya as mobile / casual developers were for a console? pretty much nil.. now we have a marketplace that while not perfect, EXISTS. it has spawned a whole scene of other systems that may be better in some ways, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

I love the Ouya because i'm not going to go buy a $400-500 game system.. ever.. and guess how many emulators you can run on most of those other systems.. i'm pretty sure none.. the ouya is open.. most of these other big boys coming along that everyone is so ready to bow down and say are winners (like the amazon, with optional controller) are not going to give you a piece of hardware that is yours to do what you want with it...

Yes if you have indies who came from a certain standard or expectation were disappointed, that's not the Ouya's fault.. yes they have had hardware issues with manufacturing.. I had two bad controllers and they replaced them with very little hassle.. their heart is in the right place.. sure they've made some mistakes but for F's sake.. I get tired of hearing everyone crap on it.. even those who professed to say they wanted it to succeed..

these folks took it upon themselves to try something radical.. and all i hear people do is dump on it because various reasons..

it's not dead.. i don't believe it's going to die.. even if it does.. so what? you can keep developing for it and take what you make and port it to other systems later on.. play emulators on your TV.. keep playing the games you own.. I just don't see it being the aweful thing so many articles make it out to be. it's just really unfair..

there.. venting done..

• part12studios

Don't worry about the naysayers and anyone who listens; doesn't get business strategy of trajectory. Ouya has a lot of new games and more importantly a lot of new games that launched first on the Ouya. Soul Fjord and Towerfall anyone? These games were never meant to stay on the Ouya. They launch on the Ouya. On the Ouya being a platform the games and indie companies can game some traction before launching on the bigger platforms.

Ok But as I said Ouya is not hardware it is a direction. I knew before the launch that Boxer8 didn't have long term plans to maintain just a box. I was right. Anyone following will have heard that Boxer8 is making arrangements to have the Ouya system on TV's. Imagine that 50% of Smart TV's having an Ouya. Talk about market penetration. And that's the point. Rather than buying a console. You will have core game system right on the TV.

Actually I heard the guys who made Towefall. While only make 24k+ on the Ouya. Proved that they were good developers that Towerfall scored a large contract from another company. second hand information. not from the developer himself. So hey. if proving your self on a small console still validates yourself as a developer. i think most people shouldn't say much.

Will Boxer8 succes. that's another discussion. But that's the trajectory. Not the end all of making tons of Capcom levels of cash.

• It's long dead.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's long dead.

A perfect example of not the point. This is a really productive post. In fact let me exemplify the success of Ouya.

In fact there is now another Android potential game console on the market. The Amazon TV box. Just like the Ouya it's an Android device. This means that all those Ouya games are prime for another console box.

Ouya was a success. Boxer8 pushing the way to make Android TV penetration increase where Google TV was having difficulties. What happens when the percentage of Android game capable TV's is equal to Android devices compared to the percentage of other smart phones?

Boxer8 was a marvelous success on the trajectory. However no one should have really bet on the idea that the Ouya was ever going to reach the same market penetration of the PS3.

• jayderyu thank you for being a voice of reason. All valid points. Also with the news that they are taking Ouya to a cloud based service is also could be very cool. A way to allow people to play the games we publish through Ouya on non-Ouya devices.

I also retain my support for Ouya but that's not to say I would explore other android-console platforms. If I can publish a game on the GameStick or Amazon device I will. I just want people who want to kick the Ouya because it's not on par with Xbox or PS..

I find the Ouya market great. I Love the previews .. i try a lot of games.. games I wouldn't otherwise give a chance.. many i don't buy, but as an iOS developer, it's much harder to even get someone to try out your game, even free these days..

All I could wish for now is an honest step by step tutorial to get a C2 game on the Ouya market. I see it's possible, but it seems like whoever did it, did it in a very obscure way.. additionally, with CocoonJS offering an Ouya export option, perhaps that's all we need? If not, what else is needed for an app to successfully upload and work on the Ouya store.

Thanks!

Caleb

• I did some initial testing and my first attempt to get a test app working on the ouya was not successful.. i made a simple app that listens to button A and B (which are the U and O in testing)...

I used crosswalk to make the APK. It installed and i saw the screen.. but it seemed to not recognize the Ouya Input.. this is the test and even on web on my PC my ouya joystick (connected to pc via bluetooth) works on this browser version http://part12studios.com/temp/OuyaTest/

i'll try a pure android port sometime soon and see if XDK exports something that works there..

EDIT: though now (first time using game controller with c2) I can't seem to get local web or the web versions to respond to joystick input.. so i don't know.. weird that it was working and now it's not at all.. ugh..

• Also I reached out to Clement the developer who made Sticky Sticky today. I hope to hear back from him to see if he can share how he did it exactly.

I have also sent an email to Ouya to see what their stance is. I know they want more devs making games for the Ouya and opening up the C2 community would certainly give them a great community to bring games over.

So hopefully they have some encouraging thoughts on the subject as well.

• Also turns out Sticky Sticky wasn't made with C2. I got a response from the developer:

"actually my game does not uses Construct, it's plain html running on OUYA via phonegap system ( phonegap.com ) "

but maybe a C2 game made WITH phonegap could? i'm not sure about controls support though.. anyone know how that's achieved or perhaps the phone gap exporter for C2 includes mapping for joystick controls that Ouya recognizes?

Thanks

Caleb

• Another quick update. I was contacted by Tim from Ouya about this subject. First of all there is a thread out there for anyone interested to post here http://forums.ouya.tv/categories/construct2-on-ouya so they do have C2 in mind.

What's exciting is there is a pipeline in development. right now it's not a web service yet, but they have a linux build / virtual machine that can basically act like Ejecta (though about 22gb bigger.. lol) that you can just put your output folder in and it kicks out an APK for Ouya.

I'm dealing with a few immediate client things right now taking my priority, but I am interested in test this out and getting something made with C2 on the Ouya store. I'll keep reporting in and once I've had a chance to figure out what's what, I'll share how it's going and how you can do the same thing.

I'm sure that if we can prove it works, the Scirra folks might be able to help out to see what can be done on the C2 side (if anything) to make this process easier.

• FYI. I didn't say Sticky Stick was made with C2. I mentioned Sticky Sticky was an HTML5 game. As an HTML5 game he is limited to the exact same eco system of tools as C2 is. ie same position. So if some one can get the IAP to work in HTML5 then the IAP can work with C2. I think I also mentioned the Plugin in question was based on Cordova and at the time only PhoneGap was supporting Cordova. however CJS is now also supporting Cordova too.

I'm interested in what they are offering for the pipeline. Howevey maybe the meaning was 22mb?

If that's true maybe Boxer8/Ouya are providing a Crosswalk Solution? I'm not talking about XDK which is manhandling the situation, but Crosswalk. For those with a Linux machine you can build Crosswalk games without the XDK. All you need to do is dump in the HTML5 into a folder then start the build process. And boom APK. However for Windows, the build chain seems to be broken because it's relying on Python/Bash calls that are being funky,

Hey a C2 forum on Ouya. While still waiting for Character Maps for Spriter I kinda fell away on working on my Ouya game. I'm kicking back up now, but I didn't even know about the C2 Ouya forum. Good hunting

• FYI. I didn't say Sticky Stick was made with C2. I mentioned Sticky Sticky was an HTML5 game. As an HTML5 game he is limited to the exact same eco system of tools as C2 is. ie same position. So if some one can get the IAP to work in HTML5 then the IAP can work with C2. I think I also mentioned the Plugin in question was based on Cordova and at the time only PhoneGap was supporting Cordova. however CJS is now also supporting Cordova too.

I'm interested in what they are offering for the pipeline. Howevey maybe the meaning was 22mb?

If that's true maybe Boxer8/Ouya are providing a Crosswalk Solution? I'm not talking about XDK which is manhandling the situation, but Crosswalk. For those with a Linux machine you can build Crosswalk games without the XDK. All you need to do is dump in the HTML5 into a folder then start the build process. And boom APK. However for Windows, the build chain seems to be broken because it's relying on Python/Bash calls that are being funky,

Hey a C2 forum on Ouya. While still waiting for Character Maps for Spriter I kinda fell away on working on my Ouya game. I'm kicking back up now, but I didn't even know about the C2 Ouya forum. Good hunting

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)