feature request: layer offset

0 favourites
  • Hey everyone,

You should be able to specify a layer offset, changeable at run-time! I should think adding this would be pretty easy, but it would give total control over how each layer is rendered. if you wanted to move a layer, not in conjunction with the camera, you would just change offset values (x,y). When construct 2 renders the layer, it simply adds these offset values to the draw call.

Some kids in a class I run thought this should be a feature, and I think that it is a good idea!

What do people think? I can think of uses for independent layer movement that is not tied to the camera. Sure you, can do it already bu moving each object in the layer, but that can get tedious (even when using families).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What about something like Scroll To per layer? Could make for some interesting render possibilities...

I have only a limited imagination and can only think that layer offset would be useful if you're looking to control your own parallax (nothing wrong with that, so +1 here), but only if the default parallax has to be opted out from.

• You can set parallax at runtime. Maybe play around with that?

• Ruskul , I find this to be a very good proposition! I think that layers should have x,y position coordinates (defaulted to 0,0), just like they have angle and scale options. The ability to move each layer interdependently from an other or the "camera", can be very useful.

• I can think of a few interesting uses for this

+1!

• You can set parallax at runtime. Maybe play around with that?

Ya, but that would kinda be a mess of calculations to get the same thing... for an permanent of offesetX = 5

you would have to do... :

layer parralax X value = (scrollX + 5) / scrollx or something

but here is the thing... it will never work when scroll is at 0,0 or when crossing the origin. (scroll x=0 and scrollx = -2)

It would be way more straight forward to just add the offset at a draw call

• Quickest method would be variables used as a modifier: my glayerOffsetx= n glayerOffsety=n

• newt - right, and that is what I am imagining you could do. But as it is you have to calculate it by some other means

• but here is the thing... it will never work when scroll is at 0,0 or when crossing the origin. (scroll x=0 and scrollx = -2)

Ah right, I hadn't thought of that. You're right then, we totally need this!

• +1 for me too, it is simply disturbing to rely just on the relative scroll speed but not having any offset control.

• I'm in as well, +1 from me too.

• Ashley - Layer offsets, Any chance of this happening?

• I'm in for it also! I could use it immediately and it could make for some very interesting features.

• YetAnotherSuperhero - I like the idea of having control over the way in which layers are rendered, rather than having it tied to parallax

• +1. Would be very useful.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)